HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is this rock bottom?

View Poll Results: is this rock bottom?
yes 36 64.29%
no 20 35.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2006, 12:51 AM
falcor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Not as trippy as your current avatar - what is that? A psychedelic WALRUS??
put on the beetles, unfocus your eyes and look through the lookingglass

crap, spelling is hard when you are drunk

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Not as trippy as your current avatar - what is that? A psychedelic WALRUS??
why... yes, yes it is. keen and neat-o if i do say so myself.

bikini bottom. it just dawned on me where i've heard that name before... only took me forty minutes. der.

I'm going to sleep now...i hope tomorrow starts us all off on streak of Hitchcock and being bottomless.

or something like that.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 07:04 AM
X0ssbar

Unfortunately no b/c I think we lose again tonight to St. Louis.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Matt Foley*

I think there's definitely room for things to get even worse than they are right now. Even if the new coach (preferably Hitch) were behind the bench tonight, I think it will take a few weeks to begin to see any kind of sustained improvement from the team. Whatever system the new coach installs will likely take some time for the players to learn, buy into and execute. Mistakes will be made along the way and as a result things won't be pretty in the short term, but hopefully by about Christmas things should begin to change for the better.

Right now I'm thinking that this season will pretty much be a repeat of last season; a horrible start, followed by a respectable finish.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Matt

According to the paper this morning, Agnew put them through a tough 50 minute work out yeasteday. What he should have done is put them through gassers until they were sick, and when they returned to the dressing room tell them if they don't perform in the game tonight, they will be back out on the ice after the game for some more of the same

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 07:41 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Ok, what is the one new thing we will soon see behind our bench? A non MacLean hire with power......this head coach is just the beginning of the end of the MacLean era.....for the first time in 8 years MacLean has been over ruled and told what to do against his wishes..... MacLean will never again rule the Jackets the way he has the past 8 years.....it's over for Dougs way of the past.
I hope you are right on this Bob, but we all know Maclean is a used car salesman and can spin anything into sounding like a great deal. He's had a week or so to convince the Macs of what a great coach Agnew is or what harm a coach like Hitch could do to our franchise. If we end up with anyone but Hitch, I believe it will be Dougs doing. I believe Dougs tennacles will be around anyone else including Murray, and he will imput his preferences on how to coach, who to play etc.

Hitch, since he will have been hired by the Macs, can tell Maclean to go **** himself and he wont be able to do anything about. THATS whay we need HITCHCOCK IN COLUMBUS!!!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:17 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

My first rule of government employment was: It can always get worse! That applies here, too, though I do see a light in the distance. A new coach (preferably Hitchcock) will impart a new direction to this team (preferably upward). But, as Foley pointed out, it will take some time for his system to take hold. So, this may not yet be rock bottom, but it's close. How fast the turn-around can be made and how high the rebound in the standings will determine how much I will enjoy the rest of another lost season.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 08:32 AM
MostlyLurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Even if the new coach (preferably Hitch) were behind the bench tonight, I think it will take a few weeks to begin to see any kind of sustained improvement from the team. Whatever system the new coach installs will likely take some time for the players to learn, buy into and execute.
Gotta agree with the great post by Matt Foley. Somebody around here yesterday had a post about how the CBJ lack a "signature" victory. One of those hard-fought, come-from-behind beat-a-better-team-when-they-play-better-than-you type victories. I think whoever that person is, and Matt Foley, are onto something.

Assuming Hitch comes in - really, whatever coach comes in - he will try to put a system in place. Some of the players will reject it or just not really buy into wholeheartedly and we'll keep losing games. Sometime, sooner or later, we'll play a period, a game, a couple of games, where that system falls into place and we'll steal a game we shouldn't have. One where we come from behind and beat a team that we have no business beating on that night. And that'll be when we see the turnaround. It'll be a thing to behold.

But until then, we continue with the free-fall.

Mostly

MostlyLurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:37 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Rock bottom is only seen in hindsight

But, this is a really really bad time for the CBJ

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Byrral

No matter what happens the rest of the year we have reached the bottom mark for this franchise. It can't get any worse than this (even if we don't win another game this year). There is no way to go but up from here. Looking forward to the start of building this franchise........again.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:35 AM
DGMBJfan

I think the worst is behind us. Regardless of the result of tonight's game, the team will get a chance to get out of town, start working with a new coach, maybe exploit a few backup goalies on the road trip, and turn things around some. A new coach will be a positive thing, even if there are a few bad losses until the team figures out a new system.

DGMBJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 10:52 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Rock Bottom was two weeks ago when I realized we really DO suck and the playoffs weren't going to happen, and Gallant was still the coach, and the Macs were not saying anything publicly. I'm at Rock Bottom +1 now. When I get the Christmas CD, I'll be at +2.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Dawg8

Hey Pluck, maybe we can dress the pink elephant, he might be able to score a goal!!!

BARRY MELROSE FOR GM

Dawg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 02:10 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
According to the paper this morning, Agnew put them through a tough 50 minute work out yeasteday. What he should have done is put them through gassers until they were sick, and when they returned to the dressing room tell them if they don't perform in the game tonight, they will be back out on the ice after the game for some more of the same
Then the excuse will be they're all too sore and tired from these exhausting practices to play well.

This better be rock bottom. It's hard to think a team can underachieve this badly. But it seems like nothing can go right and even worse it seems like the team is starting to believe that as well.

I'm hoping for a ray of hope tonight. This is a team they need to beat and they can finally start to get their confidence back.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 09:31 PM
futurcorerock

So when I posted earlier, that was rock bottom.

Hitchcock hired, Jackets lose one in OT... it's nott the bottom but it is better than we'd been before.

Old
11-22-2006, 10:05 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

they definitely looked better tonight. granted, it was against the blues, but they looked better. was nice to see zherdev playing a little defense (nice job laying out doug weight)

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 11:12 PM
EspoWorld

It's official

The bottom arrived Nov. 21, 2006. The graph jumped up sharply on the 22nd.

and that's that.

EspoWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 11:34 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurKOWrock View Post
Rock bottom is only seen in hindsight

Old
11-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg8 View Post
Hey Pluck, maybe we can dress the pink elephant, he might be able to score a goal!!!

BARRY MELROSE FOR GM
it's official: Dawg rules.

Old
11-23-2006, 12:23 AM
mudcrutch79

Hmm, I haven't popped in here since the thread in the pre-season where I said that I was amazed that Columbus made so few changes, that what took place over the last half of last year was luck and promptly got dumped on by some of your the louder posters here. How've things gone so far?

Snide "I told you so"'s aimed at the vociferous posters who **** all over me back then (and even further back, when I made the point that the Oilers + a goalie were a Cup conteder) aside, I think that this is a turning point for the franchise. It's a fantastic hire for a number of reasons.

1) Hitchcock demands that his players play at both ends of the ice. Columbus has a **** load of guys who can't be bothered to do that. That'll change. Over/under on his first public spat with Nash? 25 games. I think Nash has the character to try to stick it to Hitchcock though. If they can turn him from just a goalscorer into a goalscorer who has a positive impact at ES against real opposition...well that's a huge step forward.

2) The fact that Columbus has so many talented young players. Hitchcock doesn't get enough credit for his work in Kamloops back in the day. He's been immensely succesful in junior with young players and he should be a positive force with the young guys there now.

3) They aren't going to get that much better immediately. They're still nowhere good enough to make the playoffs. Hopefully with a good coach in place (we were speculating during the Oilers/Jackets game if Gallant even knew he had home ice becuase they certainly weren't targetting Greene/Smid with decent forwards), it becomes abundantly clear that the problem is a talent issue. If they don't make the playoffs, the young guys improve and the end result is MacLean getting ****canned, it will have been a great year for Columbus. Clear out some of the **** cluttering the second, third and fourth lines, develop the young guys into players who don't need to be sheltered and complete the exposure of MacLean as a charlatan. Come 07-08, Columbus might make a nice darkhorse playoff pick, depending on how things go.

Oh, and it just seems entirely appropriate that Hitchcock, a huge Civil War guy, ends up as a Blue Jacket. Good karma.

Last edited by mudcrutch79: 11-23-2006 at 12:28 AM.
mudcrutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeComrie'sGhost View Post
Hmm, I haven't popped in here since the thread in the pre-season where I said that I was amazed that Columbus made so few changes, that what took place over the last half of last year was luck and promptly got dumped on by some of your the louder posters here. How've things gone so far?

Snide "I told you so"'s aimed at the vociferous posters who **** all over me back then (and even further back, when I made the point that the Oilers + a goalie were a Cup conteder) aside, I think that this is a turning point for the franchise. It's a fantastic hire for a number of reasons.

1) Hitchcock demands that his players play at both ends of the ice. Columbus has a **** load of guys who can't be bothered to do that. That'll change. Over/under on his first public spat with Nash? 25 games. I think Nash has the character to try to stick it to Hitchcock though. If they can turn him from just a goalscorer into a goalscorer who has a positive impact at ES against real opposition...well that's a huge step forward.

2) The fact that Columbus has so many talented young players. Hitchcock doesn't get enough credit for his work in Kamloops back in the day. He's been immensely succesful in junior with young players and he should be a positive force with the young guys there now.

3) They aren't going to get that much better immediately. They're still nowhere good enough to make the playoffs. Hopefully with a good coach in place (we were speculating during the Oilers/Jackets game if Gallant even knew he had home ice becuase they certainly weren't targetting Greene/Smid with decent forwards), it becomes abundantly clear that the problem is a talent issue. If they don't make the playoffs, the young guys improve and the end result is MacLean getting ****canned, it will have been a great year for Columbus. Clear out some of the **** cluttering the second, third and fourth lines, develop the young guys into players who don't need to be sheltered and complete the exposure of MacLean as a charlatan. Come 07-08, Columbus might make a nice darkhorse playoff pick, depending on how things go.

Oh, and it just seems entirely appropriate that Hitchcock, a huge Civil War guy, ends up as a Blue Jacket. Good karma.
Thanks, Ghostie. Sounds like you might have been the first person to force feed us some of the nasty medicine we needed at the start of this season. Your work here must have been good though, because having read these boards over the past few months...i honestly can't imagine anyone seriously disagreeing the points you made above. It was a bitter little pill to swallow... but we did swallow. Thanks again for posting ... happy haunting.

Old
11-23-2006, 12:48 AM
XX
... Waiting

Rock Bottom? You guys have great young players and now a great coach. Management that, for better or worse, really tries to get to the next level but for whatever reason hasn't made it there yet. Just count your blessings and enjoy whats to come. Some of us have a 3 ring circus for a team.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Rock Bottom? You guys have great young players and now a great coach. Management that, for better or worse, really tries to get to the next level but for whatever reason hasn't made it there yet. Just count your blessings and enjoy whats to come. Some of us have a 3 ring circus for a team.
Hey now! I'll have you know we have always run a respectable dog and pony show around these parts.

Old
11-23-2006, 01:01 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Hey now! I'll have you know we have always run a respectable dog and pony show around these parts.

You have car dealers too? No way. Anyways I just find it a little funny that fans of a team with players like Nash and Zherdev etc... think the future is so bleak.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 01:34 AM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeComrie'sGhost View Post
Troll.

It's only November. Jesus christ.