Notices

Jeff Jillson?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Don Cherry*

vCash: 500
Jeff Jillson?

Does anyone have any idea how serious his injury is? Bruins.com seems more intersted in what Hal Gill likes for desert and other "important" issues than injuries to one of our best and most important players.
I think Jeff has been the best of the "new" guys and the early favorite for the coveted Seventh Player Award.

Old
11-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry
Does anyone have any idea how serious his injury is? Bruins.com seems more intersted in what Hal Gill likes for desert and other "important" issues than injuries to one of our best and most important players.
I think Jeff has been the best of the "new" guys and the early favorite for the coveted Seventh Player Award.
He's a little dinged, but expected to play against Nashville tomorrow.

What a great pickup for the B's Jillson has been.

Skill, ability and upside abound as well as a strong sense of accountability. He's still going to make mistakes, but the Bruins could do far worse than having someone like Jillson on the team. He's going to get a lot better...

Old
11-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Strafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ

Skill, ability and upside abound as well as a strong sense of accountability. He's still going to make mistakes, but the Bruins could do far worse than having someone like Jillson on the team. He's going to get a lot better...
Yeah, all indications are that he's gonna be a great one. So far at least he doesn't seem brittle like McLaren. Gotta give MOC credit for this one.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Mayhem

Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ

Agreed, maybe I am going a bit overboard here but I truelly believe that he is going to be the number one here that we have been sorely missing since the departure of 77. Now I am not saying that he is of the elite status that Bourque was but he certainly plays well in all phases of the game something you look for in a true number one. With the way the Bruins have been using him in all situations his growth as a player has been exponential and more than I think anyone expected.

Old
11-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
Agreed, maybe I am going a bit overboard here but I truelly believe that he is going to be the number one here that we have been sorely missing since the departure of 77. Now I am not saying that he is of the elite status that Bourque was but he certainly plays well in all phases of the game something you look for in a true number one. With the way the Bruins have been using him in all situations his growth as a player has been exponential and more than I think anyone expected.
He makes the odd mistake, but I'm very impressed with him so far. I think he could be more effective if he played a little meaner, but he doesn't hesitate to jump into a scrum and he will drop the gloves if the situation is there.
I liked Mclarens game, but I'd have to make the same trade again even without Hackett. Good move by O'c. Jillson is only going to get better.

Old
11-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirtbag
Today he made 2 costly mistakes which cost us 2 points.
And your point would be.......? I made this post at like 6:00 AM today which was a little before the game. He was playing hurt and I'd rather have an injured Jillson than a healthy Kutlak any day of the week.

Old
11-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
My point would be that he's young and mistakes will happen like today! It wasn't a slam on your post.
I agree that he will/does make mistakes, but he's worth playing despite his mistakes unlike Berard or Girard. If San Jose was to offer Mclaren back straight up, I'd laugh as I hung up the phone. He's going to be a 50 pt defenseman in the near future.
He certainly didn't play well today, but he wasn't as bad as O'Donnell or Gill.

Old
11-28-2003, 04:55 PM
Qubax

Jillson reminds me of Derek Morris....Right Handed shot....Big and could be physical but doesn't really use his size...

Extremely talented in puck movement....great shot.....Great as a PP QB

IMO probably not a true number one....but could surprise and somehow end up that good....He's certainly come along way in a year...

What do you guys think? You think he's like Morris? Or is he potentially better? Or just different

From what I've seen that's the best comparison I can make...

Old
11-28-2003, 05:07 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
I agree that he will/does make mistakes, but he's worth playing despite his mistakes unlike Berard or Girard. If San Jose was to offer Mclaren back straight up, I'd laugh as I hung up the phone. He's going to be a 50 pt defenseman in the near future.
There were all of 6 50 point defensemen in the NHL last year, and 5 the year before that.

So you are saying he will be a top 5 guy in the whole league??? Wow....doubt that.

Old
11-28-2003, 05:16 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
There were all of 6 50 point defensemen in the NHL last year, and 5 the year before that.

So you are saying he will be a top 5 guy in the whole league??? Wow....doubt that.
He's absolutely a 50 point guy within 3 years, I'd say 30-40 this year and increments of 5 until he levels off to somewhere around 50 +/- 10. That is in today's game- if they open it up somehow (wider neutral zone for instance) then obviously higher. This year I could see 10 goals and 25 assists. A very good offensive prospect nonetheless. I reckon I've been to over 700 Bruins games and he's the best offensive kid I've seen since Bourque although that aint saying much.

Old
11-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Mayhem

Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
Quote:
He certainly didn't play well today, but he wasn't as bad as O'Donnell or Gill.
I think we will have to disagree on Girard because I think he is worth the risk. But onto Jillson, I agree 100% that he is worth the risk because its obvious that he is making mistakes due to either inexperience, trying to make plays that other defenseman cannot even see let alone attempt. And that I can deal with because the mistakes due to inexperience will be gotten over in time.

Old
11-28-2003, 09:21 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Today he made 2 costly mistakes which cost us 2 points.
He was only out there for ONE of the goals. Boynton and OD were out on the first, Jillson on the second. Jillson was even on the day. Please get your facts straight before you start telling people who cost what. No one player cost us anything today. It was a game they played well enough to win, but they didnt. Vokoun was great, Nashville is a good team. Stop trying to scapegoat Jillson.

Old
11-29-2003, 02:13 AM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
So who made the blunder pass up the middle: Boynton or O'Donnell?
O'Donnell.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Jeff from Maine

I Agree...

I agree...it was a TEAM loss...

* Jillson screwed up on one goal
* O`Donnell screwed up on a goal
* Raycroft was flopping around without a clue where the puck was
* Non-existant offense

All around, it was a poor game. Defense wasnt good, goaltending wasnt good and offense was horrid!

Later

Old
11-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
I agree...it was a TEAM loss...

* Jillson screwed up on one goal
* O`Donnell screwed up on a goal
* Non-existant offense

All around, it was a poor game. Defense wasnt good, goaltending wasnt good and offense was horrid!

Later
I love it how you find a way to throw Raycroft under the bus. The kid played a great game. The ONE goal that you are reffering where he was flopping around (as you called it) he had two other people in his crease. He made many big saves, and the only other goal was because of a bad turnover and a clueless Boynton doing a Steve Heinze impression.

JFM, dont take this the wrong way, but your posts are getting real transparant. Whenever a player you dont seem to like does well you find an excuse for why he is doing well (ie Bergeron and Raycroft). You are constantly negative for the sake of being negative, and are often just seemingly playing devil's advocate by trying to convince people that Potvin and Raycroft have played about the same level this year which is totally untrue and unfounded. Dont take this as an insult, take it as a friendly criticism, but you find ways to do whatever it takes to be negative and it is a real downer to read.

Old
11-29-2003, 06:28 PM
DBL

Quote:

goaltending wasnt good

Later
I can't believe those comments. The first goal he had no chance on, no chance! And the second one Jillson fell into his crease and was laying on the puck, how was Raycroft suppose to find it? I say that was more of Jillson's fault for not finding the puck and clearing it, he wanted to play goalie and didn't do this job. And goals like that happen all the time, it was a fluke goal.

I have no idea why you favor Potvin over Raycroft so far. Potvin sticks his whole body inside the net and hopes his 31 year old legs and arms react. It often scares the hell out of me. Raycroft is so square to the puck and has much quicker reflexes.

Also, I swear in the Blues game Potvin was so far into his crease for the 3rd Blues goal that even if he did make the glove save it still would have counted for a goal.

Your not fooling anybody with those comments...

Old
11-30-2003, 05:45 AM
Jeff from Maine

You Guys Are A Hoot!

Man you guys make me laugh...I am SO GLAD that this board exists!

Now a few comments...

1. Regarding Potvin...I dont see how you guys think I like him. FACT is that I am still ticked that we signed him! I dont think it was a good move. Is he playing well? Yes, he is! BTW...he was WAY out of the crease on the Weight goal. Boynton got lazy and didnt pick him up, and Potvin came out. Weight just fired a great shot. But whatever....you guys have your favorites.

2. Raycroft. Find and PROVE where I have said that I dont like him or his game. Hey, I`d play him a bit more than Potvin right now. He is on a bit better of a role. BUT, I will say this...many of you guys are such HOMERS its funny! Raycroft gets a FREE PASS from this board!

BOTTOM LINE: Is winning games for us lately? NO! And he is NOT making the saves that the GREAT goalies make. Nor is Potvin. The FACT is that goal is STILL a question mark for this team.

When things were going great earlier in the season (great defensive play and an offense that didnt sputter worse than Dads old 78 Novs...)...

When those things happened...Raycroft and Potvin were winning games. They were looking unbeatable.

Funny thing happened on the way to the Cup though....Rayrocft and and Potvin became unable to make the BIG STOPS that win these close games. Potvin could stop Weight or Kovalchuk. Raycroft SHOULD have stopped at MINIMUM one of the Bluies shots!

He didnt make the saves that the GREAT, STEADY and RELIABLE goalies make!

Its a BOTTOM LINE business....and bottom line is that this team is losingf and the tenders are not bailing out their mates ENOUGH!

And speaking of free passes....

Where has Patrice "My line has scored just one ES goal (and that was a Lapointe solo-jobber) in the 11 games since I was promoted to the 2nd" Bergeron been?

Again...its a BOTTOM LINE business. And BOTTOM LINE is that regardless of how pretty they pass the puck...

This 2nd line is NOT getting the job done.

How about calling a spade a spade for a second....

1. Why hasnt EITHER goaltender STOLEN a game for us? Any goalie can look good when your entire team is playing well...how abiout now when we NEED a stolen win?

2. Bergeron. When is he going to start PRODUCING again? i know he is the favorite son here who can do no wrong. But many of our offensive ills are DIRECTLY attributable to a lck of 2nd line scoring....and just WHEN did th 2nd line stop scoring? Oh yes...when they broke up the Rollie and Sammy lines to add Patrice to the 2nd.

All along I have said that I LIKE Bergeron a lot. BUT, that he shouldnt be overloaded with 2nd line duty. he gets points an scoring opps as a member of a very good 3rd line.

I said that offense would become more difficult and that more responsibility to generate a onsistent attack and production would be on him.

Well....

Staying put on the 3rd line looks better and better every day.

And you say I play favorites....I play in REALITY folks. And reality says that I was correct!

Like me or hate me...the proof is in the pudding. Production ceased on TWO lines with the move.

Bye bye...

Later

Old
11-30-2003, 09:00 AM
DBL

You make me laugh... what the hell are you blahing about?

First of all I never said you like Potvin only that by your comments you favor him over Raycroft. Maybe you don't favor him over Raycroft, but you had me thinking you did, thanks for clearing that up I guess.

Second, I was talking about the Blues "3rd" goal, the goal that tied the game with 30 seconds left, not the OT goal.

Third I never said you don't like Raycroft, but you never give him credit for anything like you have Potvin. Instead you try and point out negatives of his game that sometimes aren't even there, like last games comments, he played bad, and he was flopping around. Those comments you made don't make sense, unless you either don't like him, didn't watch the game, or you see stuff that no one else does. Were all blind, and you see all. There was no reason for those comments!

Now this is where it gets interesting...
BOTTOM LINE: Is winning games for us lately? NO! And he is NOT making the saves that the GREAT goalies make. Nor is Potvin. The FACT is that goal is STILL a question mark for this team.

Goaltending is still a question mark but who denys that? Goaltending is not the biggest problem right now anyways so why ****talk it, goaltending has actually been still pretty good, I think defence is more of a concern at the moment though.

Funny thing happened on the way to the Cup though....Rayrocft and and Potvin became unable to make the BIG STOPS that win these close games. Potvin could stop Weight or Kovalchuk. Raycroft SHOULD have stopped at MINIMUM one of the Bluies shots!

Raycroft didn't play the Blues...

Somehow after these comments you got into Bergeron. Sure they haven't produced since Bergeron as joined the line no denying there, but what do you want us to do? Complain how Bergeron is has a 2nd line center? I do believe the coach keeps putting him there ahead of Zino for some reason, maybe he believes things will happen soon. I mean they haven't been playing all that bad together, just haven't been producing. I don't know why you talk about this.

1. Why hasnt EITHER goaltender STOLEN a game for us? Any goalie can look good when your entire team is playing well...how abiout now when we NEED a stolen win?

I do believe Raycroft stole the Dallas game has I've heard tons of times by all sorts of people. I guess this game just doesn't qualify has a stolen game for you though.

2. Bergeron. When is he going to start PRODUCING again? i know he is the favorite son here who can do no wrong. But many of our offensive ills are DIRECTLY attributable to a lck of 2nd line scoring....and just WHEN did th 2nd line stop scoring? Oh yes...when they broke up the Rollie and Sammy lines to add Patrice to the 2nd.

All along I have said that I LIKE Bergeron a lot. BUT, that he shouldnt be overloaded with 2nd line duty. he gets points an scoring opps as a member of a very good 3rd line.

You know I sorta agree here, Bergeron does play better on the 3rd line, but the problem is there is no one else qualified (not saying Bergeron is) to be a 2nd line center. Zino maybe the better choice, but for some reason Zino is in Sullivan's doghouse.

And you say I play favorites....I play in REALITY folks. And reality says that I was correct!

The reality you got away from your orginal comments about Raycroft that make no sense to anyone else with a bunch of other BS.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Jeff from Maine

Ooopps.

Sorry, my bad...

Raycroft didnt play the Blues....I knew that. I meant to type Predator shots. I was simply in a hurry.

BTW...since when does anyone have to follow a specific agenda when posting?

Shadow...I`ll post what I want...when I want and how I want. I dont need you telling what shoudl go into my posts.

But thanks for your input.

I think EVERYTHING about this team is a concern now...

1. Goaltending. Regardless of how anyone feels about the Savior in net, we have question marks. Potvin is unreliable and Raycroft is unproven. Not fixed until PROVEN its fixed.

2. Defense. Biggest area of concern and has been for years. How O`Connell gets a free pass simply because he picked a few d-men and traded for 1 or 2 reliable guys is beyond me. Having a guy likr McGillis is good....IF he is your #5 type of guy. He should NEVER be ANYONES top 2 guy. And the rest of this crew....well, its O`C`s mess. Sure, he drafted guys like Jonsson, Stuart et al. Who knows if ANY of them will pan out. maybe ALL will, but thats highly unlikely.

3. Scoring. As I have said all along, you cant put all your eggs in one basket. And you shouldnt go with a rook in a key spot like 2nd line center. I would be happier with Zamuner in that role. He isnt as good as Bergeron, but he has more experience and would allow Bergeron to be in a place where he can experience success. Too bad we dont have an experienced number 2. Crap, we let Stumpel get away for nothing.

Did I post all of that in a good format?

Later

Old
11-30-2003, 10:08 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
3. Scoring. As I have said all along, you cant put all your eggs in one basket. And you shouldnt go with a rook in a key spot like 2nd line center. I would be happier with Zamuner in that role. He isnt as good as Bergeron, but he has more experience and would allow Bergeron to be in a place where he can experience success.
Later
luckily, jeff isn't the coach of the bruins. if zamuner ever ended up as our #2 center, it would be a dark day in boston.

Old
11-30-2003, 11:17 AM
DBL

Quote:
Sorry, my bad...

Raycroft didnt play the Blues....I knew that. I meant to type Predator shots. I was simply in a hurry.

BTW...since when does anyone have to follow a specific agenda when posting?

Shadow...I`ll post what I want...when I want and how I want. I dont need you telling what shoudl go into my posts.

But thanks for your input.
So what you saying is your sticking with your comments about Raycroft in the Preds game. That he played a bad game, and was flopping around without a clue where the puck was.

If you meant to put the Preds game that means you meant he should of stopped one of those shots of the two, but I clearly stated above why you can't totally blame Raycroft on them. If I was to put blame in order in the Preds game to why they didn't win it would be like this...

1. Defence
2. Offence
3. Goaltending

I'm I wrong?

But nevermind, because you don't have to answer me you can answer whatever you want and say whatever you want when you want to say it.

Closed Thread