HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most watched team in Canada?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 07:10 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Most watched team in Canada?

This morning on my morning radio show, the sports guy (Neil MacRae) mentioned that the Canucks regional TV numbers are actually better than the Leafs' regional TV numbers.

In the paper a couple days ago, I read that the Canucks/Leafs game on TSN was the 2nd most viewed TSN game in the history of the network.

I suspect the one on CBC was very, very high up there right now.

Now, I'm not one of those, 'I hate those Leaf-lovin' CBC!' folks, since I always assumed the Leafs are getting much higher ratings. But as the product the Canucks are icing gets better, and the Leafs' worse, perhaps there is some credibility to the arguement? The Leafs have by far and away the most games on CBC of any team on Canada, yet they aren't getting the higher ratings? And they are in a better timeslot to boot?

Thoughts?

Old
11-27-2003, 07:12 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Yeah..Canucks are drawing more this year regionally.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...NStory/Sports/

Old
11-27-2003, 07:30 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Well, they rarely play at the same time on Saturday, and Toronto certainly draws more viewers than Ottawa, with Montreal guaranteed a spot on the french channel. When the Canucks play on Saturday night they are usually on CBC...

Old
11-27-2003, 07:44 AM
King of Kelvington

Regionally i suspect but accross the country leafs are still number 1!

Good to see the nucks doing well fan wise...hopefully they keep up the good play.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:03 AM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Regionally i suspect but accross the country leafs are still number 1!

Good to see the nucks doing well fan wise...hopefully they keep up the good play.
I'm sure if the Canucks games were on earlier then 10:00pm EST they would draw better numbers though.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:12 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
I'm sure if the Canucks games were on earlier then 10:00pm EST they would draw better numbers though.
How do these ratings work? Wouldn't a team that has more national games and less regional only games have better national numbers (obviously because more games) and conversly a team that has more regional only games have better regional numbers as there are more games to draw an average from? I probably didnt explain that well so hopefully someone understands my point..

on a different note, does anyone else have a problem just replying to threads. The only way I can reply is by quoting someone. or is this just me...

Old
11-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Mizral

Shakes,

The article states it's 'per game'.

The Canucks draw on average of 330,000 per game, whereas the Leafs draw around 320,000.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:48 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Shakes,

The article states it's 'per game'.

The Canucks draw on average of 330,000 per game, whereas the Leafs draw around 320,000.

I know, but they have to average the games out.. so if Van has 6 more regional games, there is more to draw an average from.. thats what I mean

Old
11-27-2003, 09:08 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

...that won't affect the average, shakes.

Anyways, the article mentions the reason this is happening. The Leafs have had a rocky start to the season whereas Vancouver has been far and away the best Canadian NHL team. Even then, the difference is only 10 000...

Old
11-27-2003, 10:35 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
...that won't affect the average, shakes.

Anyways, the article mentions the reason this is happening. The Leafs have had a rocky start to the season whereas Vancouver has been far and away the best Canadian NHL team. Even then, the difference is only 10 000...
Yeah, and the Leafs' numbers are down something like 37%; so if the team becomes a bit better, they should easily have the superior numbers.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:38 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
You may be right but would they really?

Wouldnt it have a pretty negative effect on the numbers if Vancouver was shown at 4pm PST? I realize that the numbers in the East would go up if they were shown in the early slot, but would it be enough to make up for the drop in numbers that would occur in the West? It might just because there is a significant segment of the population that will watch the HNIC early game no matter which teams are playing I suspect.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:50 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecca13
Obviously both teams have huge followings. The Leafs -Nucks game on Monday drew the second highest ratings for a regular season hockey game in TSN's history.

True. I wonder does anyone know what the highest rated regular season game in TSN history is?

Old
11-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
True. I wonder does anyone know what the highest rated regular season game in TSN history is?
It was a Winnipeg Jets/Toronto Maples Leafs game, back in 1993 or something. I don't know what was so significant about it.

Old
11-27-2003, 11:27 AM
cc

are the leafs a trapping team this season? If that's the way they are playing, that may contribute for the lower viewership.

Old
11-27-2003, 12:14 PM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
You may be right but would they really?

Wouldnt it have a pretty negative effect on the numbers if Vancouver was shown at 4pm PST? I realize that the numbers in the East would go up if they were shown in the early slot, but would it be enough to make up for the drop in numbers that would occur in the West? It might just because there is a significant segment of the population that will watch the HNIC early game no matter which teams are playing I suspect.
I wouldn't think that a 4pm start on a Saturday would stop many people from watching a Canucks game, it might be different if it was on a weekday.

I personally think that the increase numbers in the East would easily offset the people that they would lose in the West. God know I can't stand the Leafs but I watch them most Saturdays.

Old
11-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Habsfunk

I wonder what Montreal's numbers are like on RDS. I remember when Montreal was in the playoffs two years ago they were attracting a bigger audience on TV than the Leafs. Unfortunately that Globe and Mail article only gives the numbers for the Habs Sports Net games which are admittedly pretty sad, but not surprising considering the state of the team and the fact most viewers are probably tuned into RDS.

Old
11-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Mizral

I should add, I'm not saying they start pulling Leaf games on CBC, I'm just saying maybe starting the next season, CBC ought to consider making sure all Canucks games are on their broadcast when on Saturday. So far, I believe 3 games haven't been on CBC when they could have (splitting the nation).

Closed Thread