HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Manitoba Moose

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2003, 09:24 AM
cujo3167

vCash:
Manitoba Moose

Just wanting some feedback on what people think of the release of team captain Brian Chapman and defenceman Justin Kurtz going to play in Germany and the signing of Dallas Eakins.
cujo3167

Old
08-19-2003, 11:18 AM
Jacob

vCash: 500
They're getting some good young players, it shouldn't hurt them.

Old
08-21-2003, 07:07 AM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

The Moose will win the Calder Cup in '04. The only thing left is arranging the parade route.

Chapman who? Kurtz who?
The nux will send you - Ryan Kesler, R Umberger, Brandon Nolan and top dman Kiril Kolsov, That will be the top scoring line in the AHL this year, guaranteed. Kiril Kolsov was the #3 rated d-man in his draft year - behind - Bowmeester.........

Old
08-22-2003, 05:48 AM
Avery4Byng*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
The Moose will win the Calder Cup in '04. The only thing left is arranging the parade route.

Chapman who? Kurtz who?
The nux will send you - Ryan Kesler, R Umberger, Brandon Nolan and top dman Kiril Kolsov, That will be the top scoring line in the AHL this year, guaranteed. Kiril Kolsov was the #3 rated d-man in his draft year - behind - Bowmeester.........

Dont forget Junior scorer Jesse Schultz.....

Old
08-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Mizral

Chris Neilson will also be there for the full season.

However,

Tyler Moss is probobly gone (Auld will start the whole year)
Reid may not be there.. this is only a 'maybe', but it's possible Reid will play in the AHL next season.
Umberger is not yet signed, so he's no guarentee to be there.
Lukas Mensator will more than likely be Auld's backup next year.

Old
08-29-2003, 08:34 PM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo3167
Just wanting some feedback on what people think of the release of team captain Brian Chapman and defenceman Justin Kurtz going to play in Germany and the signing of Dallas Eakins.
cujo3167
Big deal, I don't think they were that great anyways. These teams should comprize of up and coming, not down and out!!!

Old
08-30-2003, 09:34 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber1600
Big deal, I don't think they were that great anyways. These teams should comprize of up and coming, not down and out!!!
Yes.. their captain is completely worthless. Just like on any pro hockey team you need some veteran leadership to guide the hotshots in the right direction

Old
09-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Upchuck19

Sure the Moose just got into the playoffs last year by a hair, but this year they should to very well. They are going to be younger and better so it will be a interesting year for the Moose.

Old
09-20-2003, 02:02 PM
winnipegjets4life

I hope to hell they do well! (oops, i rhymed) But i've been following the moose every sice they cme to winnipeg, and i'd love to see them win a championshiop...i woudn't guarentee n e thign but i'd like to think they'll improve on they're last year

Old
09-20-2003, 11:07 PM
J.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets4life
I hope to hell they do well! (oops, i rhymed) But i've been following the moose every sice they cme to winnipeg, and i'd love to see them win a championshiop...i woudn't guarentee n e thign but i'd like to think they'll improve on they're last year
Speaking of Winnipeg, I just rememberd that hot stove segment from the playoffs, and they where talking about bringing the Jets back since they have a new building with suites and everything! I think Ron Mclean was saying if the Pens don't get a new building they might consider moving the team to Winnipeg! Does anyone think this is possible? It would be nice to see the Jets again!

Old
09-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Upchuck19

If the new CBA makes the Canadian teams more on par with American teams then Winnipeg could support a team better than Pittsburgh. If the new CBA doesn't help the Canadian teams then no way

Old
09-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Mizral

Quick note: Canucks are sending down lots of prospects as the Waiver draft approaches. Since my post there, Mensator has been reassigned to the Ottawa 67's of the OHL, but Tyler Moss will be backing up Auld all year. That's about as strong as a tandem as I can think of in the AHL.

Brandon Reid doubtfully will make the big club. Kesler, Koltsov, Mojzis, Smith, Neilson, Auld, King, Fedorov, and a number of others will all be joining the Moose - some new additions, some familiar faces. Though the losses of Chapman and Kurtz will hurt, I cant think of an AHL team out there with possible regards to Chicago & Houston that is clearly better than the Moose will be next year!

Old
09-29-2003, 03:28 PM
kenabnrmal

I really like the Moose's chances this season. Some great young talent up front, and the leadership shouldn't be too much of a problem with a vet like Jimmy Roy coming back. Defense gets me nervous, but otherwise the club should be a contender.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:56 PM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
Speaking of Winnipeg, I just rememberd that hot stove segment from the playoffs, and they where talking about bringing the Jets back since they have a new building with suites and everything! I think Ron Mclean was saying if the Pens don't get a new building they might consider moving the team to Winnipeg! Does anyone think this is possible? It would be nice to see the Jets again!
The dollar difference is still the issue in Canada.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:19 AM
winnipegjets4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
The new WHA wants to put the jets back in winnipeg....i can't find the article but i seem to recall Bobby Hull saying that it was a city that he really wanted to put a team into. Also regarding an original wha team.........a wha exec was in quebec city september 23rd to speak to potential owners and people representing the city....i do have a link for that one.
http://www.worldhockeyassociation.ne...asp?PressID=50

Old
11-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Fedz

3-7-2-1 for 9 points

and a 10th place spot

Is NOT a calder cup contender...they are too young!

Old
11-06-2003, 10:55 AM
kenabnrmal

Its early yet. The addition of Pronger should help, and they've really missed Eakins on the blueline, since the defense is terribly young. They'll come together at some point, and with the talent they have they could still contend.

Old
12-02-2003, 10:00 PM
J.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets4life
The new WHA wants to put the jets back in winnipeg....i can't find the article but i seem to recall Bobby Hull saying that it was a city that he really wanted to put a team into. Also regarding an original wha team.........a wha exec was in quebec city september 23rd to speak to potential owners and people representing the city....i do have a link for that one.
http://www.worldhockeyassociation.ne...asp?PressID=50
Do you know what the capacity is gonna be for the New Building? Is it called the true North Centre?

Old
12-03-2003, 06:54 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
Do you know what the capacity is gonna be for the New Building? Is it called the true North Centre?
I Think it's going to be called the True North Centre (cap 15,005) for hockey.

Old
12-03-2003, 10:46 AM
J.P

I wonder if that would be big enough to house another NHL team? I hope the Jets will return one day!

Old
12-04-2003, 11:59 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P
I wonder if that would be big enough to house another NHL team? I hope the Jets will return one day!
Your dreaming!@

Old
12-04-2003, 08:45 PM
fcbarcelona

i live in winnipeg, and most habitants here realize the NHL will not come back for at least another 20 years. its possible the NHL may return, but not unless the financial structure of the league changes quite drastically.

further, i would much rather have a WHA team or a junior team instead of the Moose. Quite honestly, I'm not too thrilled watching hasbeens or wannabes from the AHL. Also, I prefer exciting hockey and I would believe that exists in juniors and will be a trademark of the new WHA.

true north center should revitalize downtown winnipeg though. building an arena there was a very good idea.

Old
12-07-2003, 07:56 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
i live in winnipeg, and most habitants here realize the NHL will not come back for at least another 20 years. its possible the NHL may return, but not unless the financial structure of the league changes quite drastically.

further, i would much rather have a WHA team or a junior team instead of the Moose. Quite honestly, I'm not too thrilled watching hasbeens or wannabes from the AHL. Also, I prefer exciting hockey and I would believe that exists in juniors and will be a trademark of the new WHA.

true north center should revitalize downtown winnipeg though. building an arena there was a very good idea.
Absolutely!!! I would much rather have a WHL team. At least the players stay around for a few years and the fans can get to know them. It's also very exciting hockey to watch.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:43 PM
Hellboy30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19

Jericholic, I think you have struck a nerve.

I have talked to many people about this subject. With the exception of maybe one or two people who consider AHL hockey "entertaining and the best Winnipeg can do", the vast majority think we deserve better than the AHL.

Many, including myself have come out and flatly stated that if the Moose left tomorrow, they would not care. They want to see WHL hockey in the peg'. It may actually help the city land a team that people care about.

Chipman has his heart in the right place. However, he should realize what the silent majority of Winnipeggers want. Either NHL or Junior hockey. Not the farm team of the Canucks!

Old
12-28-2003, 08:12 AM
kenabnrmal

I love the WHL, but the AHL is simply better hockey. I've spoken to plenty of people here as well, and I've heard a lot of the "eh, the AHL sucks, blahblahblah" stuff. Then I ask them when the last time they went to a Moose game was. Invariably they reply "not for a while, years ago...". Well, that was the IHL, and this is a far better league, a far better product, then the IHL was. I'd be the first person in line for NHL season tickets if it returned, and I'd be the first in line for WHL tickets if we got a team. However, the AHL and the Moose do provide great hockey and great entertainment. I find that most detractors simply haven't given the team a chance.

Typical "grass is always greener" stuff. I don't think the support for a WHL team would be near as strong as you guys do.

Closed Thread