HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strength Down the Middle

Old
11-23-2006, 06:00 PM
DEATHtrap

vCash: 500
Strength Down the Middle

The 2nd line Center line issue has seemingly been resolved without Muckler picking up the phone and consemating a trade. It is probably a good thing that Center postion was improved internally, rather then Muckler addressing the need through trade. We saw where that got us last season.

Looking at the numbers, the sens may have one of the finest collection of Centers in the league 1 through 3. They say that Stanley Cup teams are usually solid down the middle and perhaps sens have never looked better there.

Spezza
G 9 A 16 P 25 Projected Totals: G 34 A 60 P 93

Vermette
G 8 A 8 P 16 Projected Totals: G 30 A 30 P 60

Fisher
G 3 A 12 P 15 Projected Totals: G 11 A 45 P56

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:23 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
The 2nd line Center line issue has seemingly been resolved without Muckler picking up the phone and consemating a trade. It is probably a good thing that Center postion was improved internally, rather then Muckler addressing the need through trade. We saw where that got us last season.

Looking at the numbers, the sens may have one of the finest collection of Centers in the league 1 through 3. They say that Stanley Cup teams are usually solid down the middle and perhaps sens have never looked better there.

Spezza

Vermette

Fisher
I wonder how often projected totals actually come true? But I will admit that I have always preferred Vermette at centre, it is his natural position and one that he has played the majority of his hockey career. He did a very good job in Bingo as a 1st and 2nd line centre and has the capability to do it as well in the NHL. He is obviously a slow starter but he does get better every year and what more could we ask for. McAmmond isn't a bad centre either although I find he is most comfortable on LW as is Kelly. All of a sudden we now have too many LWers and require a natural 4th line centre which I think Payer would fit but I'm guessing will be Hennesey's job next year.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:29 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I wonder how often projected totals actually come true?
That depends on a lot of things. But taking one look at the numbers beside Fisher's name... the 56 points is entirely believeable, it coming from 11 goals and 45 assists? ... Never.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:31 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:

Spezza

Vermette

Fisher
Spezza will most likely get more points, probably not goals
Vermette, I could see him doing that
Fisher, I could see him doing that too, but probably more goals and less asists from him.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 07:19 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISensFanI View Post
Spezza will most likely get more points, probably not goals
Vermette, I could see him doing that
Fisher, I could see him doing that too, but probably more goals and less asists from him.
You think Vermette will go from 33 points last yr to 60 points this yr? Very optimistic, as is Fisher's 45 assists, 1 point more than he had last yr (maybe 25 goals and 25 assists) if he stays injury free.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 07:23 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
You think Vermette will go from 33 points last yr to 60 points this yr? Very optimistic, as is Fisher's 45 assists, 1 point more than he had last yr (maybe 25 goals and 25 assists) if he stays injury free.
Fisher was on pace for 53 points last season and I don't think anybody believes that he'll get 45 assists.

Vermette - icetime & linemates... the two most dramatic effects on production and he's just been given huge improvements in both.

Old
11-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Buckleys

Kelly. My Projected totals for him. G 45 A 83 for 128 points. I think it seems reasonable

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 10:09 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
The 2nd line Center line issue has seemingly been resolved
I hardly think so. Yes, Spezza is a good scorer, but he lacks any physical play and he does not inspire me to be the player that can lead the offence for 4 rounds. As offensively gifted as he is, he will need another top quality centre to take some of the pressure off of him in the playoffs. I'll admit, he played pretty well last spring and with a bad back on top of that. I just can't imagine him at this point doing it himself. Guys like Fisher and Vermette are not the answer either IMO, not yet anyway. We need a guy who can score, add leadership and has experience. Anything else is a waste as far as I'm concerned.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 10:11 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
While I'm optimistic about the team doing well, I think it will be hard for some players to match their totals from last year. I dont think that's a bad thing however, because last year was quite the aberration. It's difficult to equal production when the team isn't scoring as much as they were as frequently as they were last year.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 10:30 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
Vermette are not the answer either IMO, not yet anyway.

I like the way that line is playing right now. They shouldn't be too fancy, so they're circling the net while others get open in the slot (high and low). That can certainly be effective... and really, it looks a lot like Joe Nieuwendyk's career playoff goals highlight reel.
If they start getting fancy... then I'll worry.

Last edited by trentmccleary: 11-28-2006 at 06:07 PM.