Notices

Food for thought

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2006, 09:36 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Food for thought

I thought you guys would enjoy a look at why you are getting some grief on this Sutton thing. I've read where some of you guys don't even think he was wrong.
Just have a look at the following and see another perspective.

http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/

Hanlon took over as Washington’s head coach on Dec. 10, 2003. The Caps played in Atlanta on Dec. 16, 2003, Hanlon’s third game as the team’s bench boss. Washington won that game, 5-0. With 1:12 remaining and his team down five goals, Sutton incurred the rare triple-minor. He got two for cross-checking and four for roughing.

There’s more.

In the most celebrated Sutton incident, he received a 10-minute misconduct for attempt to injure in an Oct. 14, 2005 game against Toronto. That infraction came at 9:57 of the third period with the Thrashers trailing 6-1. They went on to lose, 9-1. Campbell suspended Sutton for four games for that one. A week earlier, he got a roughing minor at 16:18 of the third while his team led 7-1 in what became an 8-1 rout over Washington.

On Jan. 7, 2006 against Pittsburgh, he got a 10-minute misconduct at 19:58 of the third period. On Jan. 26 against Carolina, Sutton was given a roughing minor and a 10-minute misconduct at 17:13 of the third period of a 4-1 loss to the Canes. On Mar. 25, he received an elbowing minor at 18:14 of the third period of a 5-1 loss to the Islanders. On April 13, he was given a two-minute minor for elbowing Ivan Majesky (and probably should have gotten a misconduct for attempt to injure) with seven seconds remaining in a 5-3 Atlanta win over Washington. Just 11 days before last night’s game, Sutton got a five-minute slashing major and a 10-minute misconduct at 10:58 of the third period of a 5-3 loss to Tampa Bay.

Detect any patterns there? Maybe he’s hanging out with the wrong crowd. Jim Slater for goaltender interference (he did that once against Olie Kolzig and got a face full of mitt for his troubles) with Atlanta leading 5-0 over Florida on Oct. 7 of this season. Slater for boarding in the same game after the score reached 6-0.

Garnet Exelby for cross-checking and high-sticking with Atlanta leading Boston 3-1 in what would become a 4-1 win on Oct. 11. Larsen two for boarding at 13:38 of the third with Atlanta losing 4-2 against the Canes on Nov. 3. With Atlanta down 5-2 in the final minute of the same game, Mellanby gets a 10-minute misconduct and Exelby a two-minute charging minor. Who did Exelby charge? Carolina goaltender Cam Ward. Exelby has two goals in 179 NHL games. He probably needed a GPS to find the opposing team’s crease.

In their most recent game before visiting Washington on Wednesday, the Thrashers were in Montreal. It was a tight 2-1 game until Radek Bonk gave the Habs some breathing room with an empty-netter at 18:46. That’s when the Thrashers start to get loose, when a tight game isn’t so tight any more. Watch them. They take hooking and holding penalties in tight games. They take slashing, boarding, charging and goaltender interference calls once the game is more or less settled. That was the case on Saturday. Bobby Holik for goaltender interference at 19:32 of the third.

“Even with the fourth goal, there was still plenty of time for us to come back and win this game,” says Caps captain Chris Clark, of the game situation when the Sutton incident occurred. “It wasn’t until the big hit there from Sutton. He is a big hitter and that’s fine. But Greenie made a great move to get around him and he throws his elbows, stick, everything to try to get a piece of him. He knows something is going to happen if he does something like that. He’d probably be the first to say, ‘If I do that, guys are going to come after me.’ That’s what happened. Our guys are going to stick up for each other. That would have happened if it was a one-goal game.”

True, but history shows that Sutton and his mates likely wouldn’t have even tried that stuff in a one-goal game. Thrashers coach Bob Hartley feigns innocence and astonishment at this sort of thing, but the Freedom of Information Act (well, the availability of box scores and games on television, anyway) exposes that charade.

Old
11-24-2006, 12:00 AM
CapitalPunishment

Great writeup.

Old
11-24-2006, 12:28 AM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
anyone want to bring rubber chickens to the next caps game?

Old
11-24-2006, 02:04 AM
ns1987

Send a message via AIM to ns1987 Send a message via MSN to ns1987 Send a message via Yahoo to ns1987
Yay? Seriously, you're acting like people don't know this. Some may try to hide it, but :|

Old
11-24-2006, 02:21 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I thought you guys would enjoy a look at why you are getting some grief on this Sutton thing.
HAY THANKS FOR SHARING. STARTING A NEW THREAD WAS ESPECIALLY CRUCIAL SINCE LORD KNOWS THERE WERE NO OTHER THREADS ON THE SUBJECT.

Old
11-24-2006, 11:43 AM
superjonathan

i think if you're willing to go back almost 3 years like this you could write this same write up about a number of different players and a number of different teams. i understand trying to establish a pattern but this is a little crazy.

Old
11-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjonathan View Post
i think if you're willing to go back almost 3 years like this you could write this same write up about a number of different players and a number of different teams. i understand trying to establish a pattern but this is a little crazy.
"trying to establish a pattern"?

I would say that there is a pattern

Old
11-24-2006, 11:55 AM
thrasherfan93

C'mon get a clue. If I went back 3 years, could I find goaltender interference on any team, yep, every 5 - 10 games. Could I see that a team takes physical(boarding, slashing, roughing) penalities with a lead? Yep. Lets see what happens when you are up 3-1. The opposing team gets more aggressive. I was at the Boston game. They were running at our goalie like it was a track meet. You give me three years of scoresheets and I can paint the St. Judes Holy Skaters as thugs. And if you want the perfect thug, you can look no further than Brashear. I have a strange feeling the context of the game gets lost depending which sports writer is covering the game.

Old
11-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherfan93 View Post
C'mon get a clue. If I went back 3 years, could I find goaltender interference on any team, yep, every 5 - 10 games. Could I see that a team takes physical(boarding, slashing, roughing) penalities with a lead? Yep. Lets see what happens when you are up 3-1. The opposing team gets more aggressive. I was at the Boston game. They were running at our goalie like it was a track meet. You give me three years of scoresheets and I can paint the St. Judes Holy Skaters as thugs. And if you want the perfect thug, you can look no further than Brashear. I have a strange feeling the context of the game gets lost depending which sports writer is covering the game.
I dont disagree with most of this.....but if you are suggesting that all the Sutton talk and his rep is not earned....well....I think your head is deep in the sand

I dont know what goes thru that guys head. I assume he isnt just dumb (at least in terms of hockey) so he HAS to know that his actions will bring some sort of retaliation down on him, or his teammates. I wonder if Vish is OK with what Sutton did

Old
11-24-2006, 12:40 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Maybe the next Thrashers/Crapitals home came could be 25 cent wing night or something?

Old
11-24-2006, 12:53 PM
cws
...in the drink

I'm reasonably certain that if one of us went to another team's board and started a thread like this, we would have been nailed to the wall for trolling. Maybe our combined numbers/outrage here doesn't rate that kind of consideration yet, who knows?

We get it, Atlanta players have done some boneheaded and bad things in the last few years. And yes, Sutton is a big part of that. Most of us admitted to that up front. Watching him every game, we have a better knowledge of his dumber moments.

A bigger surprise would be trying to find a team that hasn't had its share of goonish plays/players in that time. The Thrashers are not on an island in this regard, not by a long shot. Just about every team has had it's share of thuggish play in the last few years, kind of hypocritical to point out only the transgressions of Atlanta when someone on your favorite team has almost certainly acted equally as bad. I'm willing to own up to the fact that there have been some bad/dirty things done by Thrashers players in recent memory, are you willing to do the same for players on your team?

To add; I think it would be interesting to see the reaction if someone made a similar type list for another team, and started a thread on that team's board. Imagine the crap storm you would get for teams like Toronto and Philly (just for example). That could get ugly quick.

Old
11-24-2006, 01:10 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
I'm reasonably certain that if one of us went to another team's board and started a thread like this, we would have been nailed to the wall for trolling. Maybe our combined numbers/outrage here doesn't rate that kind of consideration yet, who knows?
Atlanta doesn't have a board on HF anymore. This has either become the Caps secondary board or an anti-thrashers board.

Old
11-24-2006, 01:35 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
One thread over here yesterday got cleaned up and locked by Irish Blues because of all of the trolling by folks from the Caps board and some other boards.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=314511

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman View Post
Atlanta doesn't have a board on HF anymore. This has either become the Caps secondary board or an anti-thrashers board.
It's interesting how they chose a time period when our board's moderator happens to be away to pull this kind of stuff. If they would have pulled this kind of stunt on the Canes' board, they'd probably be banned so fast by Caniacforever that their heads would spin. I pretty much told them to take their Crapitals propaganda and shove it.

Old
11-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Magnus Fulgur

There is obviously a pattern of Washington fans abusing this board.

Now, I'll grant 100% that Sutton does not play a proper physical game. He either doesn't play tough enough OR he DOES take cheap shots. Sutton IS lazy and dirty when it comes to physical play. Fine. But this whole notion that Hartley is dirty and runs the Goonship Lollipop wherever he goes is more about latent francophobia among the good-ol boy anglophone Ontario media rather than based on anything substantial. If Hartley sounded like Ken Hitchcock or Pat Quinn everyone would be kissing Hartley's Hawkesbury butt. How's that for opening a can of worms.

Old
11-24-2006, 04:11 PM
superjonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
"trying to establish a pattern"?
I would say that there is a pattern
no where did i say there was not a pattern. i'm saying there are tonnes of patterns of thuggery throughout the nhl. especially if you're willing to take 3 year spans. try quoting a whole sentence or, god forbid, get the idea of a post instead of taking a small portion of it and infering that i'm implying something that i'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
I dont disagree with most of this.....but if you are suggesting that all the Sutton talk and his rep is not earned....well....I think your head is deep in the sand
no one is suggesting that sutton doesn't deserve his reputation as very physical player that goes over the edge of acceptability sometimes (atleast i'm not). lots of players go over that line repetitively. what we don't understand is why sutton is vilified for it so badly when there were a handful of washington players, some of them with long rap sheets (brash for instance), pulling the same sort of bullsh*t on our guys.

sorry if my spelling is terrible.

Old
11-24-2006, 04:42 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
There is obviously a pattern of Washington fans abusing this board.

Now, I'll grant 100% that Sutton does not play a proper physical game. He either doesn't play tough enough OR he DOES take cheap shots. Sutton IS lazy and dirty when it comes to physical play. Fine. But this whole notion that Hartley is dirty and runs the Goonship Lollipop wherever he goes is more about latent francophobia among the good-ol boy anglophone Ontario media rather than based on anything substantial. If Hartley sounded like Ken Hitchcock or Pat Quinn everyone would be kissing Hartley's Hawkesbury butt. How's that for opening a can of worms.
"...latent francophobia among the good-ol boy anglophone Ontario media..."

best line this season

Old
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
12 oz Papa*

Hello Thrasher fans,

After seeing the replay, I was worried about my favorite player Vish. Is he okay? If not, how long will he be out?

Old
11-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Whaddagoal
Larsson Jailbreak.

He's in the game tonight, he's playing fine. Has some stitches in his head ....

Old
11-24-2006, 09:21 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjonathan View Post
no where did i say there was not a pattern. i'm saying there are tonnes of patterns of thuggery throughout the nhl. especially if you're willing to take 3 year spans. try quoting a whole sentence or, god forbid, get the idea of a post instead of taking a small portion of it and infering that i'm implying something that i'm not.

no one is suggesting that sutton doesn't deserve his reputation as very physical player that goes over the edge of acceptability sometimes (atleast i'm not). lots of players go over that line repetitively. what we don't understand is why sutton is vilified for it so badly when there were a handful of washington players, some of them with long rap sheets (brash for instance), pulling the same sort of bullsh*t on our guys.

sorry if my spelling is terrible.
hey boys you want to see the real pattern. check out the caps season record for the last 5 yrs. now thats a pattern to be proud of. and yes the thrashers are making the playoffs but guess who isn,t. the caps pattern.

Old
11-25-2006, 06:51 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Yikes, I leave town for the holiday and some nice Caps fans bring us a bottle of whine.

Closed Thread