HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal needs!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Reid

vCash: 500
Montreal needs!!!

We all know that we need to move a few players and get some size. With that size, we need leadership, and I think Gainey knows that. I like Koivu & Rivet, but they are not the leaders this young team needs. Rivet is not doing his job this year. Maybe he is in too much of a comfort zone. Things need to be shaken up, and I think that will happen after Christmas.

The list of movers are:

- Perreault - to expensive for our 3rd line.
- Audette - I have to say it, "He sucks!!!"
- Brisebois - Needs a new home.
- Rivet - Is not doing his job, Markov needs another Russian.
- Dackell - Too small.
- Sundstrom - Too small.
- and yes, Koivu - I know, I like him too, but trading could get us what we need!?! A Power forward!?!

Needs:

1 - We need a marque Power froward to play with Ribeiro & Ryder. Someone to lead our to best youngsters, this year, to the next level. And, to give us a real scorer, which will take pressure off Zednik. This would give 2 good lines.

Ryder - Rideiro - ???
Hossa - Bulis - Zednik (Czech-line, should make them happy, and should help Hossa.)

2 - We need a real big, strong intense center to play on our 3rd line, another leader. A player like Chris Gratton or Wayne Primeau, to play in the middle of Kilger & Ward.

3 - We now need a DF Dman to play with Markov, Rivet is not helping him anymore. I heard Visnevski names said, this would be nice if it were true. Both young, both from Russia. I don't think Markov needs a leader anymore, just a friend to watch his back.

4 - Another big man, like a Steve McKenna size player for the 4th line.

Just my thoughts
Reid

Old
11-27-2003, 07:12 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
hum... Ribeiro is not a first liner... Not even close! Koivu is mountains above Ribeiro... so Ribeiro on the first line, I think not.

Old
11-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Dragon

It is not that complicated. All we need is everyone plays hard with intensity and keep skating on the ice. They are just don't perform and lazy on the ice. You cannot judge the players correctly if that happens.

I was about to complain Koivu as the captain because that's the captain's job to keep everyone on the same page. Guess what? a player only meeting!!! good job Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
We all know that we need to move a few players and get some size. With that size, we need leadership, and I think Gainey knows that. I like Koivu & Rivet, but they are not the leaders this young team needs. Rivet is not doing his job this year. Maybe he is in too much of a comfort zone. Things need to be shaken up, and I think that will happen after Christmas.

The list of movers are:

- Dackell - Too small.
- Sundstrom - Too small.
- and yes, Koivu - I know, I like him too, but trading could get us what we need!?! A Power forward!?!

Needs:

1 - We need a marque Power froward to play with Ribeiro & Ryder. Someone to lead our to best youngsters, this year, to the next level. And, to give us a real scorer, which will take pressure off Zednik. This would give 2 good lines.

Ryder - Rideiro - ???
Hossa - Bulis - Zednik (Czech-line, should make them happy, and should help Hossa.)

2 - We need a real big, strong intense center to play on our 3rd line, another leader. A player like Chris Gratton or Wayne Primeau, to play in the middle of Kilger & Ward.

3 - We now need a DF Dman to play with Markov, Rivet is not helping him anymore. I heard Visnevski names said, this would be nice if it were true. Both young, both from Russia. I don't think Markov needs a leader anymore, just a friend to watch his back.

Just my thoughts
Reid

Old
11-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid

The list of movers are:

- Dackell - Too small.
- Sundstrom - Too small.

Needs:

Ryder - Rideiro - ???

Just my thoughts
Reid
I agree with the following mover:
Perrault
Audette
Dackell
Sunstrom

I disagree with:
Brisebois (he play great since the start of the season)

I agre if and only if we receive a good return:
Rivet
Koivu

Yes we need a power forward, but not in trade from Koivu. If we trade Koivu we have to receive a real first line center. Rib is great, but on the second line and Bulis is lost at center in the NHL.

Rivet. First I don't get your "Markov need another russian" comment. If he need a babysitter, send him back in russia. For Rivet, you need another right hand Dman. Quintal will not last the whole year (he is already in a state of constant decay...) so we will be short of right hand dman.

Third line center. I am with you on this one, I can't stand Juneau anymore. If CJ want to match our third line with the opposition best line, we need a better center. Juneau can't score anymore and is back is falling appart. Dump him fast...

Another fourth line grinder. Our entire team is fourth line, trading for another one is useless. Ward, Begin, Langdon, Kilger and a bunch of kid in Hamilton can play this role, heck bring back Dhykuis and make him play forward and you will have your fouth liner...

Old
11-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Darz

Imo. the biggest thing THIS TEAM NEEDS is the fans to be patient. Gainey has assessed the current crop and I'm sure he has a plan of attack (regardless of what he says, I'm sure he is looking at possible changes, remember what a GM thinks and what a GM says are two different things.).
This team isn't going to move 5-7 current players in the next little while. If you think they are your dreamin. If you expect the club to bring up 4-5 guys from Hamilton your dreamin. The prospects are being brought along at a pace that will hopefully maximize their potential. To bring them up before they are ready is the worst possible thing the habs could do.
This summer when Gainey was named GM pretty much everybody here was happy with the move. 21 games into the year and he hasn't performed any miracles or shipped off every player over 27 years old, and now you all want to question everthing he does or doesn't do???
Have some faith. The wheels are in motion.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:49 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Imo. the biggest thing THIS TEAM NEEDS is the fans to be patient. Gainey has assessed the current crop and I'm sure he has a plan of attack (regardless of what he says, I'm sure he is looking at possible changes, remember what a GM thinks and what a GM says are two different things.).
This team isn't going to move 5-7 current players in the next little while. If you think they are your dreamin. If you expect the club to bring up 4-5 guys from Hamilton your dreamin. The prospects are being brought along at a pace that will hopefully maximize their potential. To bring them up before they are ready is the worst possible thing the habs could do.
This summer when Gainey was named GM pretty much everybody here was happy with the move. 21 games into the year and he hasn't performed any miracles or shipped off every player over 27 years old, and now you all want to question everthing he does or doesn't do???
Well said... Patience is a virtue.

Old
11-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Most of Montreal's needs will be answered from within in about a year. One trade IMO, contrarely to popular beliefs, could be enough to put us on the map next year.

The center position looks bright for next year with Koivu, Ribeiro, Plekanec, Higgins, maybe even Hossa and Begin. Then the defense is going to be good, but not great. one UFA signing could be enough to solve that (is Boucher becoming a UFA this summer?).

That one trade could be anything really, as long as it's for a gritty scorer. My personal choice: Brendan Morrow. 2nd line 20 goal power-forward that would make us that much stronger in the scoring departement. A LW with Zednik, Morrow and Bulis would be damn fine by me.

And with Ryder having one full year of NHL experience, Ward coming back (that 4th line has never looked as good as when he was there with Begin) and maybe Perezhogin ready to make the jump, suddenly the RW will start looking decent too.

Overall, I think it's pretty hopeless for this year, at least until the trading deadline. That's where we'll finally see the next generation of that team blossom, with the Dackell's, Sundstrom's, Perreault's and Juneau's being likely dealt for picks as depth insurance for contenders. Then Higgins, Plekanec and maybe even Perezhogin will likely see some NHL action from there on. I'm hoping it goes that way. We'll see.

Right now there's nothing to hope from a bunch of soft veterans that always play well a game and awful the next. No passion, no real chemistry, we can all hope to make the playoffs, but one last good pick would be great too.

Patience is the key it is true indeed. Like I said, I think we're still too soft, even after the dead weight will have been dumped, but no need to trade half the team to remedee that problem. A guy like Morrow, Doan, Cole, etc could be the answer to this and maybe one UFA signing at D and the team will IMO look great.

So just think of it as one more year of waiting for 10 of satisfying hockey.

edit - god damn typo

Last edited by Munchausen: 11-27-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old
11-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Patience is a virtue, passiveness is a fault. And the line is thin between the two.

Quote:
Yeah it's important to realize they can't do that. But they could certainly move 1-2 or even 3 by the time the year is finished. And in my opinion the sooner the better.

Right now we should concentrate on making a place for Komisarek. As Bob Gainey said we are keeping kids down that appears to be ready. And all of that because we have a logjam. Gainey would rather go with the vets in place because it would be even more disruptive to start shaking up the team by trading left and right, calling up kids, etc. And also because some of them are just plain untradable. But I just don't think the reason why some kids are still in Hamilton is because they are not ready and because we don't want to rush them. Patience is all nice and dandy but I think what's happening with the habs right is a lot more passiveness and incapacity to move than good ol' patience.

Quote:
And I still am.

Gainey has done some very nice moves which includes the hiring of Gauthier, the Begin and Langdon pick ups, the Dagenais signing (good AHL depht), the way he handled the boo birds, his calm demeanor, the way he handled the Theodore situation, his backing of the team and the contracts he has awarded (team bonuses for Koivu, low base salaries, 2 way contracts to Ribs). And it's particularly hard to fault him with bad moves. All of what he has done has been good. But he still needs to do a little bit more. I really think Higgins and Komisarek should be playing with the habs right now and that Perreault and Rivet should be traded to make place for them. And I'm sure it's not all that difficult to do.

Closed Thread