HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Rivet become a forward?

View Poll Results: Can Rivet become a regular forward?
Yes 2 4.88%
No 29 70.73%
I don't know... maybe... 9 21.95%
Yeah but not regularly... 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Gainey RULZ

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Can Rivet become a forward?

Can Rivet become a regular forward??
because :

From La Presse..
About the "trade"
Quote:
« Quand je parlais de faire une place à Mike Komisarek, j'évoquais plutôt la possibilité d'envoyer un de nos défenseurs à l'attaque pour ajouter du muscle à l'avant. Craig Rivet a été employé à l'aile droite lors des avantages numériques au cours des derniers matchs et il a bien fait. Peut-il jouer à l'attaque sur une base régulière? Je ne le sais pas. C'est à l'entraîneur de prendre cette décision. »
Julien's comment
Quote:
« Nous en avons parlé. Nous évoquons toujours toutes sortes de solutions pour améliorer l'équipe. Mais nous n'avons pas discuté de cette possibilité avec Craig. »
What do u guys think?

Old
11-26-2003, 11:35 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Oh my god! We have prospects like Hossa that we sent down and were going to replace him with Rivet... that's laughable.

Old
11-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Gainey RULZ

One advantage.... he will not harm Théodore and defense will become better ...

Old
11-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Stephan Lebeau

what the hell for? they want a big guy who will stand in front of the opponents net?

he doesnt clear out anyone in front of his own net... why would he do it on the opposite end?

Old
11-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Yay Rivet will become our long awaited power-forward!

Seriously though, in all honesty, having his spot taken permanently by Komisarek at defense would be great, so I would consider any solution allowing this to happen. Moreover, I guess he *could* become a defensive 3rd line RWer, although it would be highly unusual and unheard of.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:52 PM
SuperUnknown

I don't remember exactly when that was, but I said a while ago that for several reasons I think Rivet should be used as a forward (even before they put him on the PP)... Is someone in the Habs organisation reading my posts or what?

While many posters don't seem to think it would be a good move, Rivet has many "forward" qualities that could help us.

1- He works well along the boards and protects the puck well. This helps for puck possession in the offensive zone. When he plays as a forward (or pinches in), you'll see that he often controls the puck close to the boards or behind the net, using his body to protect the puck, something that most of our forwards can't do.

2- He likes to puts himself in front of the net or go to the net. Another thing that we're lacking offensively.

3- He's good at doing one time shots (what I call "shoot on the run") where he can shoot hard and accurately. Ie: say he's on a 2 on 1 with Koivu, if Koivu manages to send the puck to Rivet, you can bet he's going to deliver a very hard shot to save. That's another department where we don't have exactly many forwards that can do this thing.

4- He's not a defensive liability and also he can still be used on defense if one of our dman is out. Which means that our dmen can fight without putting the team down to 5 dmen.

5- If he plays with Koivu, he will protect him for sure, which isn't a bad thing.

P.S.: If the Canadiens want to hire me to hold jock straps and give advice I want to let them know I'm available... I can even do accounting!!

Last edited by SuperUnknown: 11-26-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old
11-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
While many posters don't seem to think it would be a good move, Rivet has many "forward" qualities that could help us.
Although you make some pretty good points, I just can't help having a bitter taste in my mouth when I think of recycling Rivet into a forward...
I would really rather have one of the rookies on a forward spot over a 3 million dollar experiment...

Besides, he might protect Koivu cuz they're buddies, but as someone pointed out, Rivet does not clear the front of his own net, so what makes you think he'll do it in front of the opposition's?

Old
11-26-2003, 06:09 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Where is the choice "just trade him"

Old
11-26-2003, 08:39 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
Although you make some pretty good points, I just can't help having a bitter taste in my mouth when I think of recycling Rivet into a forward...
I would really rather have one of the rookies on a forward spot over a 3 million dollar experiment...

Besides, he might protect Koivu cuz they're buddies, but as someone pointed out, Rivet does not clear the front of his own net, so what makes you think he'll do it in front of the opposition's?
Take a good look at him when he pinches or on the PP now that he's used there. He seems to like to park himself close to the net. Yet he doesn't just go there and stay there (like dumb goons put there) he will move to be in position for a good shot.

Rivet was an offensive type of player back in juniors. I know it's far gone, but since he's not worth $3M on defense, why not try him as a forward since he obviously has some qualities to be a decent one.

Also, you can look at it this way, by playing as a forward, a spot will open for Komisarek, which I think is more deserving of a NHL spot than Hossa. Hossa last year in the AHL was far from being the best forward yet he did get a promotion. I think he played okay this year, but nothing good enough to be on a productive offensive line. I think Hossa will be a perfect third liner for us in the future.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Take a good look at him when he pinches or on the PP now that he's used there. He seems to like to park himself close to the net. Yet he doesn't just go there and stay there (like dumb goons put there) he will move to be in position for a good shot.

Rivet was an offensive type of player back in juniors. I know it's far gone, but since he's not worth $3M on defense, why not try him as a forward since he obviously has some qualities to be a decent one.
Okay, if Rivet HAS to play, and I had to choose between forward and D, then *maybe* I'd try him as a forward... But the fact remains that if I had the choice I would most definitely rather trade him. Heck I'd even trade him for less than what he's worth, just because I don't like him...

You're saying he's not worth $3M on defense, but I most certainly don't think he's worth $3M on attack, either. At least, not when you compare him to forwards around the league that make that much money.

But yeah, if I had to keep playing him then I'd move him to attack to free up a spot for Komi. And you never know... Rivet as a forward might pan out, and he might accomplish what Kilger hasn't been able to...

Old
11-26-2003, 09:07 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
You're saying he's not worth $3M on defense, but I most certainly don't think he's worth $3M on attack, either. At least, not when you compare him to forwards around the league that make that much money.
With the way he can shoot while skating at full speed (on pass reception), I think he could score 20 goals. However, he might not adapt at all as a forward though.

Anyway, doesn't cost us much to try him out there for 10 games or so since we have a hard time producing goals anyway.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Darz

I wouldn't be totally opposed to seeing Rivet as a forward, but only as a fouth line emergency type.
If you recall he did play a little forward a few years back with Rucinsky and Damphousse but that was more as a third dman on the ice type stuff, so.....

p.s. how can yoy ask 'Can Rivet become a regular forward?' and make one of the choices 'Yeah but not regularly...'??????

Old
11-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainey RULZ
Can Rivet become a regular forward??
because :

From La Presse..
About the "trade"

Julien's comment

What do u guys think?
May i remind you all that when Dave King was here Rivet ONLY played as a foward.

Old
11-27-2003, 11:54 AM
Gainey RULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
p.s. how can yoy ask 'Can Rivet become a regular forward?' and make one of the choices 'Yeah but not regularly...'??????
oups..
I don't know why I put this choice...

Old
11-27-2003, 12:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I wouldn't be totally opposed to seeing Rivet as a forward, but only as a fouth line emergency type.
If you recall he did play a little forward a few years back with Rucinsky and Damphousse but that was more as a third dman on the ice type stuff, so.....

Didn't they use him to shadow Jagr a few years back as a forward?

Old
11-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Andrei Kastsitsyn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Didn't they use him to shadow Jagr a few years back as a forward?
Thats what im saying, but Rivet was used regularly as a foward already, it was when Dave King was our assistant coach.

Closed Thread