Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

I have an idea...

Old
11-24-2006, 01:40 PM
hockeyprincess

vCash: 500
I have an idea...

In light of all the hype surrounding the voting for the NHL All-Star Game, I have my own idea...

People should be able vote in their choices for OHL All-Star Teams...

A person has to choose one player from every team in the OHL to make a team of 20 players. At least one of those players has to be a goalie. At least four of those players have to be defencemen. There can be as many imports as one wants. Then that person needs to take four recently graduated players from the OHL to be the coaching staff for their All-Star squad, and one has to be a goalie. That person who made the team up is the general manager. The team will play against the choices for the WHL All-Star Team and the QMJHL All-Star Team.

So these are my picks:

Team

Barrie Colts -- Vladimir Nikiforov
Belleville Bulls -- Kevin Lalande
Brampton Battalion -- Tomas Stryncl
Erie Otters -- Justin Hodgman
Guelph Storm -- Rafael Rotter
Kingston Frontenacs -- Nathan Moon
Kitchener Rangers -- Jakub Kindl
London Knights -- Sergei Kostitsyn
Mississauga IceDogs -- Oskar Osala
Oshawa Generals -- John Tavares
Ottawa 67's -- Thomas Kiriakou
Owen Sound Attack -- Marek Bartanus
Peterborough Petes -- Steve Downie
Plymouth Whalers -- Michal Neuvirth
Saginaw Spirit -- Patrick McNeill
Sarnia Sting -- Tomas Sample
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds -- Jiri Tlusty
Sudbury Wolves -- Devin DiDiomete
Toronto St. Michael's Majors -- Kaspars Daugavins
Windsor Spitfires -- Keaton Turkiewicz

Coaching Staff

Head Coach -- Benoit Pouliot (fmrly. Sudbury Wolves)
Assistant Coaches -- Liam Reddox (fmrly. Peterborough Petes), Radek Smolenak (fmrly. Kingston Frontenacs)
Goaltending Coach -- Danny Taylor (fmrly. Kingston Frontenacs)

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Did you see a little light bulb come on when this magical idea entered your head?

It's always fun to pick a player from each team and play this game on a message board, but realistically it's too much travelling for leagues to play one another mid-season.

I'm not sure I get the point behind naming former players as coaches. I can guarantee they have better things to do (like play hockey!).

Oh, and your all-star team blows.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 02:00 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Barrie Colts -- Bryan Little
Brampton Battalion -- Luke Lynes
Erie Otters -- Andrew Hotham
Guelph Storm -- Tyler Doig
Kingston Frontenacs -- Ben Shutron

Coaching Staff

Head Coach -- Corey Perry (London Knights)
Assistant Coaches -- Jordan Staal (Peterbrough Petes)
Goaltending Coach -- Danny Taylor (Kingston Frontenacs)

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 02:49 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyprincess View Post
In light of all the hype surrounding the voting for the NHL All-Star Game, I have my own idea...

A person has to choose one player from every team in the OHL to make a team of 20 players. At least one of those players has to be a goalie. At least four of those players have to be defencemen. There can be as many imports as one wants. Then that person needs to take four recently graduated players from the OHL to be the coaching staff for their All-Star squad, and one has to be a goalie. That person who made the team up is the general manager. The team will play against the choices for the WHL All-Star Team and the QMJHL All-Star Team.

So these are my picks:

Team

Coaching Staff

Assistant Coaches -- Liam Reddox (fmrly. Peterborough Petes), Radek Smolenak (fmrly. Kingston Frontenacs)

That is probably the worst all star team I have ever seen. Hell, I'm not sure if that would beat a regular OHL team.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 04:22 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
That is probably the worst all star team I have ever seen. Hell, I'm not sure if that would beat a regular OHL team.
True, but they have GREAT hair.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
True, but they have GREAT hair.
I'm sure they do.

11-24-2006, 04:41 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Team

Coaching Staff

The only thing funnier than your team is the fact that you're actually serious about it.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 04:51 PM
FearTheFlyers

Owen Sound-Ryan
London- Gagner
Kitchener- Halischuk
Guelph- Doughty
Erie- Hotham
Soo- Gajewski
Saginaw-McNeill
Sarnia- Katic
Plymouth- Brophey
Windsor- Guadagnolo
Sudbury- D'Aversa
Barrie- Little
Brampton- DeGray
Missassauga-Swift
Toronto- Caria
Kingston- Emmerton
Belleville- T.Donati
Ottawa- Alphonso
Oshawa- Tavares
Peteborough- Ryder

Gagner-Tavares-Ryan
Emmerton-Little-Ryder
Donati-Brophey-Halischuk
Alphonso-Swift-Caria

McNeill-DeGray
D'aversa-Hotham
Katic-Doughty

Guadagnolo
Gajewski

Old
11-24-2006, 05:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

That looks like a better team, although I might substitute Downie for Ryder.

That top line is lethal! Too bad Tavares is in the east - it would have been very cool to see that line.

Old
11-25-2006, 02:40 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
The only thing funnier than your team is the fact that you're actually serious about it.
and why is that? i think that my team would be really good... hey OHLArenaGuide... put your choices up

Old
11-27-2006, 09:37 PM
jwalk

Quote:

A person has to choose one player from every team in the OHL to make a team of 20 players.

Just out of curiosity why would you choose Sample ? He is no longer with the team ,and when he was he was a 6th or 7th defenceman. Why not somebody like Reed or Wilson or Katic ?

jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Just out of curiosity why would you choose Sample ? He is no longer with the team ,and when he was he was a 6th or 7th defenceman. Why not somebody like Reed or Wilson or Katic ?
The same reason she picked Rotter instead of Doughty, Parent or even Doig from the Storm? Who the hell picks Rotter? I don't think she watches much of the West. Either that, or there's a big space between her ears. You pick.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:

So these are my picks:

Team

Coaching Staff

Quote:
and why is that? i think that my team would be really good... hey OHLArenaGuide... put your choices up
For staters, how does Kostitsyn beat our both Gagner and Kane for a spot? Ganger has played two less games and has TWENTY more points!! Kane has a meager 17 point lead on Sergei.

Second, Nikiforov over Little? C'mon! I'm all in favor of a fellow LI boy making good, but Little is amazing and has more points than anybody in the league not on London.

I'm also lost as to why players who are a year removed from the CHL would coach.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:26 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
For staters, how does Kostitsyn beat our both Gagner and Kane for a spot? Ganger has played two less games and has TWENTY more points!! Kane has a meager 17 point lead on Sergei.

Second, Nikiforov over Little? C'mon! I'm all in favor of a fellow LI boy making good, but Little is amazing and has more points than anybody in the league not on London.

I'm also lost as to why players who are a year removed from the CHL would coach.
Firstly... Kostitsyn gets a spot due to his veteran leadership. I love Sam Gagner a lot too; I will admit. But with the inexperience that my roster has at the OHL level, and at such a competitive one, Kostitsyn gets the gig because of his leadership. Plus Gagner would have many more years to represent the London Knights while Kostitsyn will more than likely not be back with London in 2007/08.

Secondly... I would choose Nikiforov for the reason that I would put him on a line with DiDiomete and Downie. Those two will defend him to the death. Bryan Little is an excellent player but I feel that he would be skating with a target on his back. The other teams' players would go after him, much like what happened to him during the playoffs last year.

Thirdly... the former players would be coaches for the reason that they have something that coaches don't have and that is experience with and against other players. They have the synergy. They know the other players' strengths and weaknesses. The point is: actual coaches and general managers come and go all the time with no regards as to what kind of players they are inheriting. In other words, if I were to choose a general manager for my team, I would have chosen Alan Millar of the Sarnia Sting... but I really wanted Richard Clune for my team. And... well... you know the story there, right?

In relation to what Jwalk said about Tomas Sample, I didn't know that he was no longer with the Sting. If that is actually true, I would change him to Mark Katic. He's a really good young defenceman too. Ryan Wilson, to me, seems like a bit of a goon, and I already have both DiDiomete and Downie, so I don't need any more intimidation. Also, what he did last year to Yves Bastien could very well happen again; Wilson is a tough defenceman and I don't want to see anyone nearly break their neck because of him. Remember, I said at least four defencemen. Harrison Reed is a forward.

My choices still stand... but if Sample is indeed no longer with Sarnia, then Katic goes in.

Old
11-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Firstly... Kostitsyn gets a spot due to his veteran leadership. I love Sam Gagner a lot too; I will admit. But with the inexperience that my roster has at the OHL level, and at such a competitive one, Kostitsyn gets the gig because of his leadership. Plus Gagner would have many more years to represent the London Knights while Kostitsyn will more than likely not be back with London in 2007/08.

Secondly... I would choose Nikiforov for the reason that I would put him on a line with DiDiomete and Downie. Those two will defend him to the death. Bryan Little is an excellent player but I feel that he would be skating with a target on his back. The other teams' players would go after him, much like what happened to him during the playoffs last year.

Thirdly... the former players would be coaches for the reason that they have something that coaches don't have and that is experience with and against other players. They have the synergy. They know the other players' strengths and weaknesses. The point is: actual coaches and general managers come and go all the time with no regards as to what kind of players they are inheriting. In other words, if I were to choose a general manager for my team, I would have chosen Alan Millar of the Sarnia Sting... but I really wanted Richard Clune for my team. And... well... you know the story there, right?
First: Veteran leadership in an All-Star game rather than the two leading scorers in your league is absolutely ridiculous. Also, this is his second year in the league. He's not an over-aged guy who has played in 180+ games. Is Kostitsyn even the Knights' captain?

Second: An All-Star Game is completely different from the play-offs. Anybody looking to hurt another player would recieve a serious suspension. Leaving Little off the squad in favor of a lesser player with the anticipation that Nikiforov might have chemistry with Downie and DiDiomete is highly flawed.

Third: All those former players lack something that OHL coaches have: Coaching experience. You think coaches don't study the other teams for their strength and weaknesses? Why don't we eliminate head coaches all the way and go Reg Dunlop all the way?! Sakic could coach the Avs, put Jagr behind the bench in NY. I can't wait to see Scott Mellanby do double-duty.

Old
11-28-2006, 01:51 PM
hockeyprincess

Quote:
First: Veteran leadership in an All-Star game rather than the two leading scorers in your league is absolutely ridiculous. Also, this is his second year in the league. He's not an over-aged guy who has played in 180+ games. Is Kostitsyn even the Knights' captain?

Second: An All-Star Game is completely different from the play-offs. Anybody looking to hurt another player would recieve a serious suspension. Leaving Little off the squad in favor of a lesser player with the anticipation that Nikiforov might have chemistry with Downie and DiDiomete is highly flawed.

Third: All those former players lack something that OHL coaches have: Coaching experience. You think coaches don't study the other teams for their strength and weaknesses? Why don't we eliminate head coaches all the way and go Reg Dunlop all the way?! Sakic could coach the Avs, put Jagr behind the bench in NY. I can't wait to see Scott Mellanby do double-duty.
I know that this is Sergei Kostitsyn's second year in the OHL. But he was so decorated during his days at home in Belarus and watching his older brother. Kostitsyn is an alternate captain on the London Knights; Robbie Drummond is the captain. I thought that Trevor Kell would have been the new captain, but he got traded. Sam Gagner and Patrick Kane are both really good players but they're still young. Who knows how good or bad they will do next year? Kostitsyn is doing really well again this year and I see the potential of a big leadership role for him. Also, he doesn't waste time with the puck. He can shoot from the top of the circle and it will go in the net.

I really like Bryan Little as a player. I really do. But I just think that Vladimir Nikiforov has that bit of "something more" (hate to sound cliche) that Little does not have and that is his speed. Nikiforov's father Aleksey is an NHL skating coach. Nikiforov is an excellent player; what are you talking about? Sure, he's not a first-round NHL draft pick like Little but that doesn't mean that he's not good. Nikiforov is one of the best players I have ever seen because of his speed. If you have ever seen any Kingston Frontenacs games, you would know that whenever someone goes after Peder Skinner (who's 5'8", just like Nikiforov), Chris Stewart and Justin Wallingford go ******* on their heads. I know that DiDiomete and Downie would do that too, but I think that the fact that Nikiforov is so dynamic and so small, he is vulnerable to attack, too. I feel like saying that Bryan Little is too talented and that is why he would be the first one that the opposing team would have to destroy.

I know that coaches scout and look at the other team's strengths and weaknesses. But what about a coach who just got hired? Like Bruce Cassidy, the head coach of the Kingston Frontenacs. He hadn't played in the OHL for several years and this is his first ever OHL coaching gig. I think that the recently-graduated players would know on a more personal level what to do against the other teams' players.

Old
11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Marchy63

In order for those players to coach the All-Star game would have to be played after the AHL and NHL seasons are over. The coaches in the OHL would probably do a better job at coaching, since the players knowledge would be limited on certain players.

As for Kostitsyn being a veteran leader, he has only played one full season in OHL. Kane and Gagner are young but so is Tavares yet he made your list. Should they have gone with either Clutterbuck, Koverko or Regan instead because they are older?

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Gagner

good grief, what kind of all-star team is that. Kostitsyn sures does waste time with the puck , he pretty much gives it up 4 -5 times a game.

Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 06:15 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
I really like Bryan Little as a player. I really do. But I just think that Vladimir Nikiforov has that bit of "something more" that Little does not have .

Old
11-28-2006, 06:28 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFlyers View Post
Maybe she meant height?

Old
11-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Maybe she meant height?
LOL, not Nikiforov. The guy is 5'5" when the force of gravity is being kind.

Old
11-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
But he was so decorated during his days at home in Belarus and watching his older brother. Also, he doesn't waste time with the puck.
But but but, but it's still ridiculous.

Quote:
He can shoot from the top of the circle and it will go in the net
That's like saying "Andrej Pavelic is so good. The other team shoots and he makes a save! YAYAYAYAY!!!!".

Quote:
Who knows how good or bad [Kane and Ganger] they will do next year? Kostitsyn is doing really well again this year and I see the potential of a big leadership role for him.
The All Star Game is for the present. If a player is having a good year they should be in the game. This for sure goes for Gagner, who some think are in the running for OHL player of the year.

I really like Bryan Little as a player. I really do. But I just think that Vladimir Nikiforov has that bit of "something more" (hate to sound cliche) that Little does not have and that is his speed.

Quote:
Nikiforov's father Aleksey is an NHL skating coach.
No, he's the head coach of the Long Island Bobcats of the Atlantic Junior Hockey League. While he has trained NHL players in the past he is not "an NHL skating coach" as he is not on the pay-roll of any of the 30 NHL teams. He spends most of his time at the Rinx in Happaugue on Long Island. I know, I've skated with him before. He's incredibly talented.

Quote:
Nikiforov is an excellent player; what are you talking about? Sure, he's not a first-round NHL draft pick like Little but that doesn't mean that he's not good. Nikiforov is one of the best players I have ever seen because of his speed.
I never said Nikiforov was not a good player. And you are correct, he's not a 1st rd NHL draft pick. However, Brian Little is. There is a very good reason for both of these facts: Brian Little is by far a better player than Nikiforov. Add to that an additional fact that Little is having a better year (again).

Also, Brian Little takes care of your "veteran leadership" conundrum.

Quote:
I feel like saying that Bryan Little is too talented and that is why he would be the first one that the opposing team would have to destroy.
I'm not being sarcastic here, I"m really wondering: Have you ever played hockey?

Quote:
I know that coaches scout and look at the other team's strengths and weaknesses. But what about a coach who just got hired? Like Bruce Cassidy, the head coach of the Kingston Frontenacs.
Ok, then don't have Cassidy coach an All-Star team. There's a bunch of other coaches in the league. Something tells me Brian Kilrea might know a thing or two about the other teams.

Old
11-28-2006, 07:50 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
LOL, not Nikiforov. The guy is 5'5" when the force of gravity is being kind.
Yeah, I know... but it made as much sense as anything else I've read!

Old
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Yeah, I know... but it made as much sense as anything else I've read!
Definately. It's like trying to find a needle in a nation where needles have been outlawed on pain of death.

Old
11-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Default101

Sample picked twice? he left the team because he didn't like the fact that he wasn't even good enough to play on an average OHL team, and he's selected as the best player on the sting?

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote