HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

vokoun out, goehring called up

Old
11-26-2006, 07:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBo View Post

Hartnell? Erat? Radulov? Upshall?

They're not really thinking these are names to be expected in return for a backup goaltender, are they? It's not a blockbuster brewing, here...it's a stopgap guy to play 3-4 games behind Mason until Vokoun gets back. Names like Shafigulin...are a lot more likely returns.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 08:44 PM
handtrick

If Tampa Bay was smart they would call Sean Burke up on re-entry waivers from Springfield and see if us or Vancouver would bite on taking half of his $1.6 mill salary off their books for the year as they are in a world of hurt salary-cap wise.

Maybe Vancouver will try to call up Wade Flaherty from Manitoba.....or Phoenix will try to call up Mike Morrison from San Antonio, and we could snag one of them on re-entry waivers.....

Anyway....I predict the waiver-wire will be our means to fill Mason's backup role until Vokoun is healthy.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Pred303

according to the leaf board, we could probably get their third string goalie for 6 weeks for radulov and weber straight up..i say we jump at the chance! who's with me?

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 08:59 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
If Tampa Bay was smart they would call Sean Burke up on re-entry waivers from Springfield and see if us or Vancouver would bite on taking half of his $1.6 mill salary off their books for the year as they are in a world of hurt salary-cap wise.

Maybe Vancouver will try to call up Wade Flaherty from Manitoba.....or Phoenix will try to call up Mike Morrison from San Antonio, and we could snag one of them on re-entry waivers.....

Anyway....I predict the waiver-wire will be our means to fill Mason's backup role until Vokoun is healthy.
What team would want a washed up goaltender like Sean Burke that has been horrendous in the AHL (7 GP, 4.52 GAA, .856 save %age, 2-7 w/l)?

Mike Morrison? Why on earth would you want him? He was abysmal for the Coyotes and arguably has been worse in San Antonio (2 GP, 11.00 GAA, .732 save %age).

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 09:00 PM
braindead

Correction.... they have decided they need our captain thrown in as well. Man, to think we had to break the team up over a 3rd string goalie.

I personally think Flaherty would be the perfect guy. He knows some of our personnel, performed well in our system and is a good veteran presence.

In the alternative, I think we rent a goalie only if Mason goes down. In that scenario, we pay up for someone better and flip him back out into the market when TV and Mason return. Unless Mason falters very badly or gets hurt, I think Poile stands pat.

If the scouts were looking at a roster player, I would think Tootoo and Zanon are the most likely players from Saturday's game.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 09:12 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What team would want a washed up goaltender like Sean Burke that has been horrendous in the AHL (7 GP, 4.52 GAA, .856 save %age, 2-7 w/l)?

Mike Morrison? Why on earth would you want him? He was abysmal for the Coyotes and arguably has been worse in San Antonio (2 GP, 11.00 GAA, .732 save %age).
Anybody coming up or down on waivers right now is basically gonna be sucking for one reason or another.

I didn't say I wanted Burke and his salary....I just said that Tampa Bay would be smart to try to get someone to bite right now who is hurting for a backup.

I didn't realize that Morrison played that bad for San Antonio after he got sent down....that being said...I wouldn't mind acquiring Morrison for free to play a game or two the most [unless Mason gets hurt] until Vokoun is ready to play....

Last edited by handtrick: 11-26-2006 at 09:35 PM.
Old
11-26-2006, 09:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

jan lasak, anyone?

Old
11-26-2006, 09:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

actually, here's a serious idea...

Freddy Brathwaite is starting for Chicago, in the AHL...had decent NHL experience, and would be competent on any team that could play defense(ie: not Atlanta or Columbus)

Might be worth a shot...

Old
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
according to the leaf board, we could probably get their third string goalie for 6 weeks for radulov and weber straight up..i say we jump at the chance! who's with me?
There's no need to make up crap. No one on the Leaf board said that.

Leaf Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:02 PM
MLSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
I don't know what your talking about, more people in there are saying like a 4th or 5th round pick or Shafigulin.

MLSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:05 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I think if we can get someone who can back up mase for a few weeks for a reasonable price right now (i.e. 4th rounder or someone like shafigulin), then we should do it. At least right now we have some bargaining power. If you wait until Mase goes down, then teams know we're desperate and we're likely to pay more than someone is worth. It's all a matter of gambling and risks for poile.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Suave was just reassigned by the Bruins - Should we welcome him to Nashville?

11-27-2006, 01:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Suave was just reassigned by the Bruins - Should we welcome him to Nashville?
I'd feel about as comfortable with Goehring.

Sauve has been a failure throughout his career.

Old
11-27-2006, 03:40 AM
EagleBelfour

Pekka Rinne injured too right? I've read the 4 pages I didn't read his name once.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 08:13 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Pekka Rinne injured too right? I've read the 4 pages I didn't read his name once.
yes, the earliest he will be back is January.

Old
11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Panopticon

Good luck with Goehring. One of the worst goalies I've ever seen playing as a professional.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:02 AM
crossxcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Good luck with Goehring. One of the worst goalies I've ever seen playing as a professional.
I've never seen him play (aside from warmups), but I've not heard a good thing about him. The guy is shorter than steve sullivan (which is freaking short). I can't imagine any goalie that small (no matter how quick they might be) being very good.

Old
11-27-2006, 10:32 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I've never seen him play (aside from warmups), but I've not heard a good thing about him. The guy is shorter than steve sullivan (which is freaking short). I can't imagine any goalie that small (no matter how quick they might be) being very good.
Even shorter than Darren Haydar - that's friggin' short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
Maybe that you've seen, But I've seen worse despite Karl's rough start. His pro career is definately waning, but I will say his can still go from post about as quick as he did with UND. Plus, he's played on a few bad AHL teams. I would imagine Goehring is going to see very limited time, even with back-to-backs.

As to Scott Reid, he doesn't have that much AHL experience. He's a CHLer who had been a regular stop-gap call-up to the AHL to open the bench door. Goering has more higher-level experience, right now, his confidence level is recovering from when he hit Brian Finley levels earlier this year.

As to Jan Lasak, sign him, bring him in, just don't send him to Milwaukee when your done with him or I'll refuse to play nice any longer.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 11:08 AM
lstcyr

Any chance that if we plan on playing a goalie other than Mason that we'll bring up Reid for that game? Maybe Goehring is just up to fill a spot in an emergency and leaving Reid down to get the work. When we need one in our game, we'd bring up Reid and send Goehring down and then reverse it. Is either subject to waivers?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 11:11 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Any chance that if we plan on playing a goalie other than Mason that we'll bring up Reid for that game? Maybe Goehring is just up to fill a spot in an emergency and leaving Reid down to get the work. When we need one in our game, we'd bring up Reid and send Goehring down and then reverse it. Is either subject to waivers?
Reid is only on an AHL/CHL contract.....Goerhing is on a two-way NHL/AHL contract.....that is the biggest reason Goehring was called up over Reid.

Old
11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Tep

Bring Teemu Lassila over the pond next year.

Tep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 11:50 AM
RedK

I watched Goehring's development for several years when he was with the CBJ. At first I was hugely unimpressed with him too. But by the time he left the organization, I was really sorry we didn't keep him. He worked hard to continually improve his game, and made really huge strides in how he managed his depth. Combined with a good glove hand and quick lateral motion, his height was a non-issue. My impression is that when it became clear that he would never get a shot at the NHL with the CBJ, it shot his confidence to pieces and he ended up signing elsewhere. He's now got proof that Nashville will give him a shot. I think the guy could be a very competent NHL backup and I hope he gets a chance to prove it.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
I watched Goehring's development for several years when he was with the CBJ. At first I was hugely unimpressed with him too. But by the time he left the organization, I was really sorry we didn't keep him. He worked hard to continually improve his game, and made really huge strides in how he managed his depth. Combined with a good glove hand and quick lateral motion, his height was a non-issue. My impression is that when it became clear that he would never get a shot at the NHL with the CBJ, it shot his confidence to pieces and he ended up signing elsewhere. He's now got proof that Nashville will give him a shot. I think the guy could be a very competent NHL backup and I hope he gets a chance to prove it.
THe "proof" will be there when he gets a start or even anything beyond mop-up duty, should it be needed. I'm still banking on that not happening, personally.

Old
11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
THe "proof" will be there when he gets a start or even anything beyond mop-up duty, should it be needed. I'm still banking on that not happening, personally.
We'll never see the proof with Leighton getting claimed off of waivers.

That said, what then happens in Milwaukee when Vokoun returns and Rinne returns?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
We'll never see the proof with Leighton getting claimed off of waivers.

That said, what then happens in Milwaukee when Vokoun returns and Rinne returns?
Leighton goes back on waivers, Anaheim likely claims him back. Reid goes back to Rockford.