HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackout of Sens games in Toronto - why?

Old
11-24-2006, 07:41 PM
peacefrogdog

vCash: 500
Blackout of Sens games in Toronto - why?

Ottawa fan here, now living in Toronto.

I'm probablyh missing something obvious, but I keep looking for opportunities to watch Sens games here in Toronto (outside of ordered Centre Ice). I get Sportsnet East but the games are always blocked out?

What is the rationale for having Sens games blacked out in Toronto?

peacefrogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 07:45 PM
N Bahn Ahden

I'm not sure, but I think the Leafs refused to show Sens games in their region when the Sens were created.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Air

We'll steal their fans if they watch us too much.

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Leafs don't want us to.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 09:21 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Firestone
In the early days of our team, we claimed, under the terms of our Expansion Agreement with the NHL, exclusive mid-week broadcasting rights in our Franchise Territory (the boundaries of the Corporation of the City of Ottawa plus 50 miles).

Montréal and Toronto were obviously affected by this—they had been broadcasting their games into Ottawa for many years.

We did a deal with Ron Corey, then President of the Canadiens, to permit reciprocal rights—Montréal could broadcast their mid-week games into Ottawa at no cost but Ottawa could broadcast Sens games into Montréal, again at no cost. This obviously favored the 1992/93 eventual Stanley Cup Champion Canadiens who, you would have to say, would have had a lot more fans in Ottawa than the Sens would have had in Montréal, n’est-ce pas? Whatever.

Well, do you think the Leafs would do the same deal? No way. They not only refused a deal on reciprocal rights, their broadcaster (not to mention any names but I’ll give you a hint—it’s a global enterprise), backed by the Leafs said they would ignore the Franchise Agreement and continue to broadcast their games into Ottawa, so there. One might say this was a bully tactic. Their broadcaster used the excuse that they couldn’t break their over-the-air broadcast signal, so it was just a little technical glitch but overwhelming in its complexity. Sure.

With the help of the NHL, this tactic amounted to zip—they did have to break their transmission so instead of Leaf fans in Ottawa watching their team, they got The Mating Habits of African Beetles and other such interesting documentaries throughout the Season. You can imagine the furor that caused amongst Ottawa-based Leaf fans.

Of course, we got blamed for it—Toronto-dominated media interests never seemed to be able to point out that Montréal games were still on the air and that hockey fans in general were benefiting by the approach taken by those two clubs…
http://dramatispersonae.org/CheeringForTheLeafs.html

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 10:29 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Calgary and Edmonton split the Alberta market. Toronto gets all ontario except for the boundaries of the Corporation of the City of Ottawa plus 50 miles, which is the Sens tv market. A lot of TV revenue Leafs get there. Its alright now.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2006, 11:50 PM
moz
Gute Post

It does suck being a Sens fan living in Toronto, thanks to the internet it is now much easier to get access to games either via streaming or internet radio. However I feel bad because I support as many divisional games as possible, just so I can see the Sens on HNIC/TSN/Sportsnet.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 12:16 AM
freakin

I live in Toronto, I don't know what I'd do without Center Ice. Completely worth the monthly fee to me.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 12:19 AM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

I live in Kingston, a Leaf town which gets Sens games instead of Leaf games now that sucks.

Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 12:26 AM
senility

The system works out pretty well for the Senators franchise overall, IMO. If I'm not mistaken, we are considered the "home team" from around Kingston east. That means we get exclusive access to five provinces, plus partial access to Ontario. I guess it could be argued that we share Sportsnet East with the Habs, but we have a much bigger presence on the network than they do. As I've mentioned before, I lived in Newfoundland with pretty basic cable for seven years and got almost every Sens game, except for the weekend HNIC games. I could see the hegemony at work while I was there, as more and more kids are starting to support the Sens in what was historically Leafs and Habs country. If we had Michael Ryder, it would be a slam dunk.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 02:56 AM
The_Sen_Man

i think it's BS because Ottawa is part of ontario yet sportnet "ontario" doesn't show any of their games. They just show leafs games. Heck they should just call it sportsnet toronto, b/c that's what it really is.

The_Sen_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 03:11 AM
timlap

Regional Leafs games are blacked out in the rest of the country. That's the way it works. The regions themselves are negotiated by the teams and the league, not the networks, so don't blame sportsnet.

There are obvious reasons why an original six team would have a large region, but I do understand your frustration if it's hard to get Sens games. Personally I wished no games would be blacked out ever.

timlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 03:45 AM
The_Sen_Man

but ottawa is part of ontario so it should be part of the ontario region.

The_Sen_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap View Post
There are obvious reasons why an original six team would have a large region, but I do understand your frustration if it's hard to get Sens games. Personally I wished no games would be blacked out ever.
Well, I remember when I went out of my way to get all the Sportsnet channels when they first came out, only to be soooo disappointed that we didn't get any of the NHL games outside your home region.

What's the point in that case?

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 12:16 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, I remember when I went out of my way to get all the Sportsnet channels when they first came out, only to be soooo disappointed that we didn't get any of the NHL games outside your home region.

What's the point in that case?
Agreed. I can scan my satellite and see all the games I not allowed to watch.

timlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
senility

You'd think there would be a way to pay a modest premium and get all of the games on the four Sportsnet channels. I'm sure a lot of people in Canada want to see the other Canadian teams, but aren't too keen on shelling out a big chunk of change for Centre Ice. I'd be interested in knowing how many people get CI just because they can't see their favourite team otherwise. Some kind of partnership between Sportsnet and the Canadian NHL teams could steal a lot of business from them, IMO.

Old
11-25-2006, 12:23 PM
senility

Cool! Two Tom Waits avatars in a row. What are the chances.

Old
11-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Bileur

screw it center ice is the way to go.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Papa Lazarou*

I dunno if this is true but I heard that if you take a cable receiver that was configured in Ottawa down to Toronto, you will get the Ottawa feed as long as you keep a billing address in Ottawa.

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 04:59 PM
moz
Gute Post

I heard about someone in California doing that for Sens games, I might have read it on these boards...

I'm a student so I really don't have money for things like Centre Ice but once I move on to the working world I'll absolutely shell out the money to see Sens games. Or if there is ever a SensTV...

Old
11-25-2006, 05:15 PM
senility

If you can afford high speed internet, most of the Sens games are streamed on the NHL2 channel on this site http://www.tvunetworks.com/services/tvviewer.htm

Old
11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
moz
Gute Post

Yeah that's what I've been watching for the past month or so it's a godsend. I still use Team1200 for the pregame/postgame shows and during the intermissions when the channel switches to other games.

It's also crazy that of all the 30 teams the organiser happens to be a Sens fan, otherwise I doubt we'd get any games unless we were playing teams like Toronto/Buffalo. To be able to watch practically every Sens game is just great. The quality is pretty shoddy but I don't care, it's Sens hockey!

Old
11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
senility

Any port in a storm, I guess.