HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Goalies Only be allowed to freeze the puck in the paint?

View Poll Results: Should goalies only be allowed to freeze the puck in the paint?
Yes, Freezing outside of the paint sucks. 32 45.07%
No, I like it when goalies freeze outside of the paint, cuz I love to watch slow games 39 54.93%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2006, 04:39 PM
  #26
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I dont see much problem with that...
They are either gambling with taking a faceoff in their own end or thats just a legitime freeze.

We need to get easy on that «slowing down the game» crap.. Goalie freezing the puck to get his team some break have always been part of hockey. Thats not even always the wise decision.

Hockey needs to be slow down sometimes...

Momentum is huge in hockey.

I would like the goalie to be a 6th player when their out of the crease though... Hit em hard once in a while and get some crap going...

Anyway.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
  #27
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
I dont see much problem with that...
They are either gambling with taking a faceoff in their own end or thats just a legitime freeze.

We need to get easy on that «slowing down the game» crap.. Goalie freezing the puck to get his team some break have always been part of hockey. Thats not even always the wise decision.

Hockey needs to be slow down sometimes...

Momentum is huge in hockey.

I would like the goalie to be a 6th player when their out of the crease though... Hit em hard once in a while and get some crap going...

Anyway.
That would be going a bit too far. With the amount of equipment us goalies have to wear, it would mean way more injuries to allow body checking on them no matter where they are on the ice. It's just too easy to hit someone with that much stuff on and way too hard to get out of the way.

One thing they should be doing is cracking down on the opposing players in the crease. They should not allow a goal if even the skate of the opposing player is in the crease. IMO too many forwards are having their way with the goalie by standing in the crease waiting for the pass. The stick should be the only thing a player is allowed to put in the crease, and even then, only if it doesn't interfere with the goalie. Step in the crease and score a goal and that goal should be disallowed. Period.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
  #28
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
That would be going a bit too far. With the amount of equipment us goalies have to wear, it would mean way more injuries to allow body checking on them no matter where they are on the ice. It's just too easy to hit someone with that much stuff on and way too hard to get out of the way.
Their circle is their circle of protection. It doesnt make much sense if they're protected when they are out of it.

That wouldnt happen that much anyway. Attacking the other teams goalie means that you're goalie is probably not safe... That's not something you want.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
  #29
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Their circle is their circle of protection. It doesnt make much sense if they're protected when they are out of it.

That wouldnt happen that much anyway. Attacking the other teams goalie means that you're goalie is probably not safe... That's not something you want.
If their circle is their circle of protection, the crease should definately be extended to the half circle like it used to be. If they're not protected while they're out of the crease, then the opposing players should automatically get a penalty when they're in the crease, unless, of course they are pushed in there by the defenceman. The bottom line is there has been too many things taken away from the goalies already with the trapezoid behind the net and making their equipment smaller(there was nothing wrong with 12" wide pads although length was sometimes a little out of hand). Don't take away his ability to freeze the puck outside the crease. I agree goalies shouldn't be allowed to freeze the puck behind the net, but, he should be allowed to freeze it in front of the goalline on a shot.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:28 AM
  #30
Habbadasher
Registered User
 
Habbadasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My couch
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,698
vCash: 500
In order or this to work, the circle would have to be bigger, otherwise players would start charging the goalie once they stopped the puck outside the paint.

I know Kelly Hrudy said he likes goalies who play deep in their net, but this rule would simply push some goalies out of the league like Huet.

Yeah, I've changed my mind.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:54 AM
  #31
CoupeStanley
Registered User
 
CoupeStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Nicolet
Country: Martinique
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
I know Kelly Hrudy said he likes goalies who play deep in their net, but this rule would simply push some goalies out of the league like Huet.
Kelly Hrudey had a fluorescent five hole.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:24 AM
  #32
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,490
vCash: 500
So a gaolie comes out to cut the angle, stands square to the puck, and drops down on the butterfly, and takes the shot off the chest and allows no rebound. You are saying he should be forced to move the puck?

What if the puck gets caught in his equipment somewhere. The players are going to hound him like dogs until the puck comes out. If a guy makes a save and allows no rebounds, the players are going to go right after the goalie. They wont put on the breaks and wait for the goalie to play it. And the goalie may not even have time to release the puck to avoid this. I smell goalie injuries waiting to happen

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
  #33
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
So a gaolie comes out to cut the angle, stands square to the puck, and drops down on the butterfly, and takes the shot off the chest and allows no rebound. You are saying he should be forced to move the puck?

What if the puck gets caught in his equipment somewhere. The players are going to hound him like dogs until the puck comes out. If a guy makes a save and allows no rebounds, the players are going to go right after the goalie. They wont put on the breaks and wait for the goalie to play it. And the goalie may not even have time to release the puck to avoid this. I smell goalie injuries waiting to happen
Want to know what I really think???? I'm gonna tell you anyway.

1. There should be no freezing of the puck behind the goal line.

2. A goalie should be allowed to freeze the puck anywhere in front of the net.

3. No one should be permitted to check the goaltender no matter where he is, after all the goalie has way more gear then the other players and it is much harder for him to get out of the way. Also, it would make the goalie more apt to get injured.

4. The trapezoid needs to go so the goalie can play the puck in the corner if he wants to. IMO if a goalie is fast enough to beat the opposing forward to the puck in the corner, more power to him.

5. Goals should be disallowed if a player from the scoring team has anything other than his stick in the crease. If the stick interferes with the goaltender, than it should also be no goal.

For those idiots who think the goalie should be fair game when he comes outside the crease, how about this. If they amended the rules so any opposing player that puts a foot in the crease is fair game for the goalie. Let the goalie crosscheck, slash, punch, kick or bite any player that comes in his blue paint without any penalty being called. Opposing players are not supposed to be in the crease anyway so they should be fair game for whatever punishment the goalie decides to hand out. That would be fair wouldn't it? (please detect the sarcasm)

The bottom line is the goalie should be protected whereever he is on the ice. As it is, the goalie is under-protected. How many times this season have we seen the goaltender get run over, knocked down and pushed around in the crease with no call. I've seen it way too much. Then, when one of his players takes up for him they end up being penalized. We don't need for the goalie to be fair game outside his crease, what we really need is for the goalie to be protected more both inside and outside his crease.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:46 AM
  #34
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I noticed tonight that Miller froze the puck out of the paint a couple of times, and it aggravated me... The nhl is trying to make this a more exciting game, and I still don't understand why they allow goalies to freeze the puck outside the paint. There are rules like this in Soccer for that same reason. So vote away.
They should be able to freeze the puck wherever they need to as long as it is in front of the goal line. This has nothing to do with making the game more exciting or not, goalies freeze the puck when there is a chance that the other team can score....and thats it.....thats what their supposed to do.
I think the goalies had to give up enough already since the new changes came into effect....you have to draw the line somewhere. If you keep taking privlages from the goalies....soon they will only be allowed inside the crease and if they leave the blue paint they will get a penalty.....and thats just ridiculous. The league is already Americanized enough as it is now.....lets not start making changes that aren't necessary.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:00 AM
  #35
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You're right, freezing the puck outside of the zone defenitely doesn't slow the game down... I mean the faceoff and line changes that come after ward just fly right by.... More faceoffs = a slower game. A slower game = a more boring game. It's time wasting and should be penalized.
You must not know how to play hockey!!!!
Because if you did play hockey you would know that your goalie freezing the puck is a great thing at certain times of the game. It gives your team a chance to get a brief rest, a chance to regroup and get the puck out of the zone and keeps the other team from scoring a goal late in a game because of some stupid rule that doesn't allow the goalie to freeze the puck.
If you don't want the goalie to freeze the puck outside of the crease, then the crease needs to be doubled in size and no forwards are allowed in the crease at anytime or they get a penalty. Do you think that makes sense?? It makes just as much sense as the goalie not being allowed to freeze the puck outside the crease.....NONE.......NO sense at all!!!!
The game is fine as it is....if you think they should change this rule, then your not a true hockey fan.....you are a fan of soccer or some other sport and your trying to make hockey the same way so you can understand it better. PERIOD!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:05 AM
  #36
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
It's not a stupid thread if you're smart enough to read it right.

He's talking about goalies going out of their crease to freeze a puck when it's not a shot on goal but a loose puck, as Miller did last night when he went and froze a puck behind his net. I agree that it delays the game and should be penalized.

We're not talking about a goalie challenging the shot here, it's just common sense.
To my knowledge there was always a rule that you can't freeze the puck behind the goal line....if it wasn't called then its a ref's mistake. I was always taught that I could freeze the puck anywhere but behind the goal line.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
  #37
J-D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the dizzle!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
5. Goals should be disallowed if a player from the scoring team has anything other than his stick in the crease. If the stick interferes with the goaltender, than it should also be no goal.
Let's have another Brett Hull controversy and hand out the Stanley Cup on a disallowed goal.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
  #38
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
It's not a stupid thread if you're smart enough to read it right.

He's talking about goalies going out of their crease to freeze a puck when it's not a shot on goal but a loose puck, as Miller did last night when he went and froze a puck behind his net. I agree that it delays the game and should be penalized.

We're not talking about a goalie challenging the shot here, it's just common sense.
Exactly...If a goalie comes out of his crease to stop a point shot, and freezes in a high traffic area...it obviously shouldn't be penalized.

What Miller did was freeze the puck due to miscommunication, which should ALWAYS be penalized (imo). It certainly slows the game down more than a goalie playing the puck in the "forbidden zone" or a defenceman accidently dumping the puck over the glass without taking a deflection. If they're trying to make this game faster, with less stoppages...then goalies should be restricted from doing this type of thing.

I certainly don't want this sport turning into Baseball or Football, where the games are just so long and unbarable.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 07:00 PM
  #39
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You're right, freezing the puck outside of the zone defenitely doesn't slow the game down... I mean the faceoff and line changes that come after ward just fly right by.... More faceoffs = a slower game. A slower game = a more boring game. It's time wasting and should be penalized.
ok the game is only 2 and a half hours long, if you can't stay into it tune into another sport

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
  #40
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
It's not a stupid thread if you're smart enough to read it right.

He's talking about goalies going out of their crease to freeze a puck when it's not a shot on goal but a loose puck, as Miller did last night when he went and froze a puck behind his net. I agree that it delays the game and should be penalized.

We're not talking about a goalie challenging the shot here, it's just common sense.

it is stupid

i have read it all and can't believe this is actually being taken seriously.....

goalies freeze the puck anywhere except behind the goal line that is the rule. It is a good one too....



Im sick and tired of all the stupid proposed rule changes.....This must be the only sport with all this talk of rule changing. I mean i never hear anything like this in other sports.


It is geting rediculous

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.