HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 25//11/06 Philadelphia @ Montreal 7 PM EST RDS

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Nyclaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
That's the most nonsensical innovation the NHL has yet made. Anyone who's played hockey knows that hitting your opponent's stick is a good play. I mean, the whole idea of that play is that you can't hit the player with your stick. It just makes no sense. Countless times in a game players cross sticks in puck battles, but certain plays, at some times, particularly when those composite sticks break due to some inherent design flaw, the refs call it a penalty.
no rule is perfect but if injuries are down, I say it's a good thing!

Old
11-25-2006, 07:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
I disagree. I'd say the PK was the problem, and Aebi went down to try and cover up the puck. 2 goals, on that many chances... I'd say he's not the problem, but the solution.
The PK is the problem? Did you catch a single second of that minute and a half 5-on-3?

Old
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
If the referees didn't call that stick penalty, the players would do it all the time(breaking each other's stick) and that would greatly affect games. Now, they should also call knee penalties(like Bouillon...) but the stick one is a good one.
did you ever play hockey before

Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

the 3rd has been our best period this year, come on boys!

Old
11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
bipolarhabfan

The Habs have, once again, played a terrible second period. However, the refs in this game are absolutley atrocious. I have seen three to four interference penalties on the Flyers that were not called and they decide to call a borderline trip on Rivet. Even the commentator said on one occasion that Knuble did a great job at interferring on that play. It is this marked inconsistency that is really irritating me this season and I still have no clue as to what a penalty is.

I will concede that I am a homer and not the most unbiased viewer of the Habs. Neverthelss, is it me, or am I on to something in suggesting that we get, on a more or less regular basis, shafted the by officiating?

Old
11-25-2006, 07:50 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Give me a break.
...Calder and Meloche 2 on 1, 2 failed buries by Knuble, a 2 man advantage...

The Flyers are, contrary to what you all may think, not that bad of a team when they're confident and on. They're horrible when they don't care, but if they do, they can actually beat you.

Old
11-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
If the referees didn't call that stick penalty, the players would do it all the time(breaking each other's stick) and that would greatly affect games. Now, they should also call knee penalties(like Bouillon...) but the stick one is a good one.
So you can't touch the guy, can't touch his stick, can't look at him, can't sneeze on him....Come on, it happened all the time when they didn't have paper hockey sticks and rarely stick broked before.....I say referees should use their judgment, but it may be too much to ask....

Old
11-25-2006, 07:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan14741 View Post
The Habs have, once again, played a terrible second period. However, the refs in this game are absolutley atrocious. I have seen three to four interference penalties on the Flyers that were not called and they decide to call a borderline trip on Rivet. Even the commentator said on one occasion that Knuble did a great job at interferring on that play. It is this marked inconsistency that is really irritating me this season and I still have no clue as to what a penalty is.

I will concede that I am a homer and not the most unbiased viewer of the Habs. Neverthelss, is it me, or am I on to something in suggesting that we get, on a more or less regular basis, shafted the by officiating?
I'm no conspiracy theorist but in my opinion calling a bench minor right after you hand the other team a 5-on-3 is a tad on the malicious side of things. Especially like, as you said, there were a few penalties that easily could've been called on Philly.

Old
11-25-2006, 07:51 PM
tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The PK is the problem? Did you catch a single second of that minute and a half 5-on-3?
I edit'd it, not in time I guess.

Old
11-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus View Post
no rule is perfect but if injuries are down, I say it's a good thing!
where does this new way of thinking end?

should a player be able to defend at all? maybe we should not even play(cause it is dangerous and someone might get hurt) maybe we should just have a series of shootout's in a row. say 3 sets of 20? then if its tie we could have a 3 0n 3 for 5 minutes and then more shootouts?

Old
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Yes, and so many player were injured in the past by these slashing...the hockey stick should be use under the stick of your opponent...not over. It's gonna take some "getting use to".
The injury aspect is a good point, but using this line of reasoning someone could say that when going under the stick we've seen a ton of high sticks and eye injuries. Should it be a penalty for lifting the stick because there's a danger of a high stick?

I just really disagree with the NHL bringning this rule into play. It seems more like a ploy to raise the number of PP's than to protect the players. (I won't get into this and it probably is a stretch but to me there are many more things we could do to protect players, smaller shoulder pads etc...than penalize them for hitting the stick)

Basically I agree that hooking and holding has to go from the game, and we've seen less of it these past 2 seasons. However, to me disrupting and opponents stick will always be a good defensive play, whether it's banging it, lifting it or tying it up. I just don't see the need to call these types of penalties.

Old
lilooet*

This game is unacceptable and infuriating.

Old
DieHardHabs

yea philly isnt bad buddy.. but there not that great either ha .. they have 3 impact players... and they play on the same line... anyways it wasnt our pk ... we r wicked on the pk....still cant believe pitkanen.. took him self way out of the play... someone needs to get a video of that ... 5 on 3.. he is out by the blueline!! not even in the camera shot at times hahaha

Old
11-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
The injury aspect is a good point, but using this line of reasoning someone could say that when going under the stick we've seen a ton of high sticks and eye injuries. Should it be a penalty for lifting the stick because there's a danger of a high stick?

I just really disagree with the NHL bringning this rule into play. It seems more like a ploy to raise the number of PP's than to protect the players. (I won't get into this and it probably is a stretch but to me there are many more things we could do to protect players, smaller shoulder pads etc...than penalize them for hitting the stick)

Basically I agree that hooking and holding has to go from the game, and we've seen less of it these past 2 seasons. However, to me disrupting and opponents stick will always be a good defensive play, whether it's banging it, lifting it or tying it up. I just don't see the need to call these types of penalties.
Do you remember...not so long ago when players were constantly slashing each other resulting in various wrists injuries...wrists is the all-star player bread and butter and should be penalised.

My 2 cents

Old
hendextall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post

yes he only hit the stick.

i have noticed that if you hit someones stick and it breaks(as in this case) it is a penalty for slashing. If the stick does not break it is usually not called....
That's exactly how it's been called all year, such a bad call. Especially with how easy some of these sticks break.

Old
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post

i agree with everything here..it is getting tiresome watching these reffs have such an impact on the game. Diving is driving me nuts. Afinogenov is a pro, as he changes direction and trips over your feet and its tripping

Old
11-25-2006, 07:59 PM
speed11

about time, cmon boys

Old
ToysInTheAttic

TO still down 2-0 at the start of the 3rd period.

Old
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Do you remember...not so long ago when players were constantly slashing each other resolting in various wrists injuries...wrists is the all-star player bread and butter and should be penalised.

My 2 cents
I see your point of view and I can certainly understand the injury concerns. Who wants to watch games where all the stars are injured? But I think there can be better ways to protect the players. Either way though, these things have ways of working themselves out so we might find a better balance as time goes on.

Old
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Big powerplay (I hope)

Go Habs Go

Edit: Le but de Saku!

Old
11-25-2006, 08:00 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Koivu!!!! 3-2!

Old
speed11

sakoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old
Habs_Apostle

God!

Old
Quiet Robert

SAKU KOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIVU!

What a pass by Kovy and our Captain is there to put it in. Great play. Koivu has been fantastic tonight. Great job boys.

Old
ToysInTheAttic

Penalty to the Flyers. Lets go lads.

Closed Thread