HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Red Wings @ Predators 11-25-06

Old
11-26-2006, 02:17 PM
DetectiveMosely

vCash: 500
y'know, you can always go to NHL.com, look at the "scores" section, and in the little box next to the scores theres a bunch of links. theres one thats a pic of a camera and it has the options '300k' and '700k'. pick which speed you want and itll show you all the goals of the game. sometimes itll throw in a big hit or save too. good stuff.

DetectiveMosely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Pred303

many sweet things about this resounding victory... one of the great things is we have until wednesday to relish in it.. to replay every little thing and enoy re-thinking about it..

...hamhuis with a brutal hipcheck there in the third and three pretty good hits...weber though was cracking wings all over the ice all night long. 6 official hits, including smacking datsyuk twice, once with a really good hit in the neutral zone. once maltby went to try to lay an open ice hipcheck on vasicek, and when vasicek stepped around to try to avoid it, kneed maltby square in the groin... maltby barely made it back to the bench.

...never have i seen chelios look as bad as he did for most of that one... was on ice for 4 of the pred goals, and directly partly responsible for both the time erat beat him down the halfboard and fed kariya, and the time we chipped the puck around him and started the sullivan to dumont odd man rush... markov played pretty well honestly for them, a +2, even though it was him kariya beat in the neutral zone and drew the tripping penalty that set up one of our pp goals

...the single most obvious difference in speed was on the draw in our own end, where fids wins the draw, well sort of, but sully and dumont simply took off and blew by chelios and schneider for the 2 on 1 the other way... a key play of course in determining the outcome of this game

...i'm still having trouble with the idea that detroit starts hasek at home against stl one night and then goes with their third stringer against us the next night on the road. surely babcock doesn't take us that much for granted?.. surely he knows we're their only real division rival and so much better than stl?.. this was a sorry piece of coaching or at least planning if you ask me.. i think the answer is that they really did take us that much for granted as much as anything.. i can understand many wings fans being livid over this bit of player management

...looks to me, like lebda is a much better answer than lilja (or chelios or even schneider) on their blueline against teams with speed, lilja looked lost and slow all night.

...the dive on hartnell was probably a dive, as much as i hate to say it. he was hooked, but it looked like he really embellished the call. that's now 5 dives against us, i'm afraid we already have the 'reputation' as a diving team and why we're getting watched so closely. erat was lucky on the penalty he drew at the blueline a little later in the first, that it wasn't called a dive as well i thought.

..our total dominance of teams thus far in the first two periods is pretty amazing. 29-17 in the first and then that stunning 32-11 in the second. 61 to 28 in the first two periods.

...our pp % has now officially passed last year's % after last night. now 19.5% to last year's 18.4%. we're still not quite on the pace of total pp goals scored we set last year (93), because we're drawing significantly fewer penalties. currently our pace would put us at about 86 pp goals for the full year.

...conversely though, our penalty kill % is almost back to what it was last year for the full year when we finished 6th overall in %. (84% compared to 84.6% last year). what is significant though is the fact that we taking far fewer penalties and because of this, we're actually on track to surrender far less pp goals than we did last year. so far we've given up only 17 now in 22 games, after giving up exactly 82 in 82 games last year. so this translates to a pace of only about 57 pp goals allowed for the full season.

..these stats show one thing that is not being picked up by the media in general. there are far fewer penalties being called this year than last year, a fact that ought to be being publisized, since it appears to be a league wide fact. part of the fact is simply players have learned the rules better, probably the vast majority of the change in fact. scoring is up league wide, while penalties are down. pretty much what they set out to do two years ago.

Last edited by Pred303: 11-26-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 03:22 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
..our total dominance of teams thus far in the first two periods is pretty amazing. 29-17 in the first and then that stunning 32-11 in the second. 51 to 28 in the first two periods.
that's actually 61 to 28... but a good point, nonetheless...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Brown Angel

Have to disagree with Pred303 on one thing.......

Good afternoon Preds Fans,

Fantastic game for the Preds last nite, in terms of play and confidence building. We put together clean plays better than I have ever seen in three years of attendance. I'm gonna go through each Pred and evaluate their performance as best as I can remember.

Martin Erat - Solid play for most of the nite, with one fantastic play in the second. I am still extremely worried that he is going to get levelled one nite, because his head is always down.

Paul Kariya - Invisible at times, but showed real vision and energy at other times. Still the only reliable sniper on the squad, but Radulov may be another.

Shea Weber - My pick for team MVP so far. Took Datsyuk right out of the game, and scared away any would-be scrappers, as well. I have never seen an incident where one of our guys, in this case Vasicek, took complete advantage of an opposing player, in this case Michalek, and then our guy gets to skate around for the rest of the game without retaliation. That's Shea Weber for you, right there. His shot on the powerplay and his outlet pass are catalysts, to be sure.

J. P. Dumont - Fancy stickhandler and sometime playmaker, yes. Grit? No. This guy can put together some plays and sometimes finish, but he is soft. A good game last nite, but I am worried that his heart is as soft as his hands.

Steve Sullivan - Didn't have to take over last nite. I just traded this guy in my fantasy league, because, with all of our options, he isn't always a bigtime numbers guy. That backhand-to-backhand to Dumont was glorious.

Scott Hartnell - The difference-maker. When this guy is on, we win. His presence in the crease on the PP gives us an element we've lacked since we let Perreault walk. This is where I disagree with Pred303, though. That diving call was hilariously wrong. It happened twenty feed ahead of me (I sit in 109, about five rows off the ice), and he was tripped by not one but two guys. Scotty was thinking of nothing but the goal, and there was no way he could have embellished what was already a ridiculous aggressive pair of trips. Bad call.

Jerred Smithson - I think Smithers regained some confidence and actually showed a little offensive flair. I hope Trotz is done toying with his head.

Scott Nichol - A couple of good hits. No amazing play like the pass to Radu vs. the Canucks, which goes down as an all-time "where the heck did that come from?" play for me. All you can hope for from Nichol is some energy and maybe his hands won't be so rock-hard all the time.

Jordin Tootoo - Best game I've seen out of Tootoo since the playoffs. He actually had a couple of decent shots on goal. I think having skilled guys like Hartnell on the energy lines really adds to their potential as a line that can do something other than check.

Josef Vasicek - Great game that didn't show up on the scoresheet. This guy is like a vacuum cleaner on the boards. He also showed some grit that I hadn't seen before. And, is it me, or is this guy emerging as the go-to faceoff guy?

David Legwand - Typical Legwand. One good pass. Two or three "almost" plays. Solid defensive positioning. Zero chemistry with anyone but Kariya or Erat.

Kimmo Timonen - Great nite for Kimmo. Good to see him play hard both ways. I think he should've let the refs have it a little more, since we were up by as many as five at one point. We need a fiery leader.

Marek Zidlicky - Finally, Z has a game where he doesn't give up a backbreaking big play to the other team. Before this game, I was calling for his head on the trading block. After the game, I feel a little better about him. Flashy plays akimbo and all, but we need consistency.

Alexander Radulov - Love the points, love the energy, hate the skating. He skates like me, too low and swinging his arms all over the place. Always in the right place a the right time. I want more ice time for him, of course, but I'll take him at Trotz's pace for now. Did anyone see him and Horachek get into it on the bench? It looked like Radu ignored Trotz's call for a change in the third.

Greg Zanon - I really hope this guy can be the new Mark Eaton for us. A couple of good shot blocks, but nothing really special.

Ryan Suter - Continues to improve on both ends. I am very happy with his development as of late.

Dan Hamhuis - Continues to punish folks in the neutral zone. Got a little overzealous on offense, but, luckily, it only hurt us once. Needs to stay focused for the entire game.

Chris Mason - Can't be disappointed with 30 plus saves, but he still scares the bejeezus outta me. I like that he is getting his blocks out to the side, but I wish he could control his rebounds better. He seems athletic out there, but his positioning has been crucial, getting us some saves that he wouldn't have made last year. Does anyone think we're gonna pick up another goalie?

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Go Preds go,
Jon

Brown Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 03:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

in regard to mason's rebounds...i actually think his control is a little better than Vokoun's. Vokoun may swallow the puck more, but when he does give up a rebound, he's not the greatest at keeping it out of danger zones. Mason gives up the rebounds, but if you'll notice, he's a pro at shooting them into low-risk zones...out into the corner, right to one of our defenders. There's some method to that madness.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
As for Hartnell's dive...

I think there is a difference between embellishing and diving. Embellishing is where you honestly get tripped or hooked, and go down easier than normal. Diving is not getting touched and going down like you've been hit with a tire iron. Diving is wrong, embellishing just makes an honest penalty look at a little worse than it is.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 04:39 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

both are wrong. I'd take pride in not going down, playing through the foul.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 04:51 PM
mmneely932

As for Hartnell's diving call it was #$%# . I'm in 107 and it was just across the ice from me so I could see it from the side. When he was hooked from the back, the stick caught in his blade and at the same time somebody smacked him in front. Both feet were completely off the ice. If he had been diving he would have it front first, as it was he hit parallel to the ice. There's not many times when I think Harts gets a bad call, he usually deserves it , but this is one of those times.

mmneely932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Playing through is honorable, but sometimes gettin the call is what helps ya win the game. I prefer a thorough mix.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Pred303

went and watched the replay on the hartnell dive call... at the game, i too thought the call was weak.. however, watching the replay, the guy behind didn't have his stick in his skates, he had a one handed weak hook going around his waist, hartnell 'embellished' the hook by turning two spinning flips before the guy even touched him coming from the other way.. even pete and terry didn't argue this one on replay, because it was fairly obvious.. it was a hook, but no way did that little hook jerk hartnell two spinning turns..

wish it were a bad call, but i don't think that it was

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote