HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flashing Nets, No more Goal Judges?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2003, 02:34 PM
  #1
Aerolanche
Registered User
 
Aerolanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,900
vCash: 500
Flashing Nets, No more Goal Judges?

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it looked interesting.

Sportsnet showed what the Ottawa 67's have done with their nets - the posts flash red when the puck enters the net. The net starts flashing when it senses the whole puck crossing the line therefore making goal judges useless and inconclusive goals conclusive.

They say Los Angeles and Washington may be trying it in the near future..

Anyone heard anything about this?

Aerolanche is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 02:36 PM
  #2
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,121
vCash: 500
Just saw it on SportsNet. Kind of weird, but I like it.

I especially like the idea of putting a sensor in the puck so they could tell when it gets across. I'm not sure how it'd work for sure, but I love that idea.

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 02:36 PM
  #3
V for Voodoo
Registered User
 
V for Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boom Shaka-Laka.
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
it was discussed a while ago, and we all agreed there should be some sort of motif to the lights, and it should sing 'la cucaracha' when a goal is scored. seriously, i don't care for the idea.

V for Voodoo is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 03:12 PM
  #4
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I especially like the idea of putting a sensor in the puck so they could tell when it gets across.
Putting anything computerized in the puck is a bad, bad idea. Remember the Fox puck? The main reason they got rid of that is because players complained that the sensor chip in the puck prevented the pucks from being frozen properly.

I don't like the idea. At what point do we stop using technology. An "innovation" like this makes a mockery of the game imo.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 03:17 PM
  #5
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,583
vCash: 500
I don't particularly like this idea either. While it may look flashy and all, someone already pointed out the Fox Pucks, and if putting wires and the like in the puck is going to effect the way it works, I disagree with it. I don't see a reason to change the current goal-light/goal judge system.

~Canucklehead~

__________________
Please visit my Official Facebook Page Mike Forward Writing for information on current and future releases.
Mr. Canucklehead is online now  
Old
11-27-2003, 03:24 PM
  #6
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,138
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
I don't particularly like this idea either. While it may look flashy and all, someone already pointed out the Fox Pucks, and if putting wires and the like in the puck is going to effect the way it works, I disagree with it. I don't see a reason to change the current goal-light/goal judge system.

~Canucklehead~
If they can put a man on the moon, I'm sure that sooner or later they will invent a puck with some sort of signal that do behave like a regular puck. Once they do I think it is a good idea to use an automatic system.

But if the puck doesn't behave properly the system shouldn't be used.

Freudian is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 03:36 PM
  #7
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
If they can put a man on the moon, I'm sure that sooner or later they will invent a puck with some sort of signal that do behave like a regular puck. Once they do I think it is a good idea to use an automatic system.

But if the puck doesn't behave properly the system shouldn't be used.
Pucks only behave when frozen, so they would have to invent computer chips that don't freeze in sub-zero temperatures.


And even if they do find a way, I still don't like it. Some of the game's traditions should not be subject to being erased by technology.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 03:42 PM
  #8
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
i think that the chip should be inplace, however the goal judges should still be used. ONLY when there is a controversial "did it go in" goal should the chips be referred to, keep the goal judges, keep the tradition, but use the technology as a back up

andora is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 04:20 PM
  #9
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
i think that the chip should be inplace, however the goal judges should still be used. ONLY when there is a controversial "did it go in" goal should the chips be referred to, keep the goal judges, keep the tradition, but use the technology as a back up
I'd say the opposite. Use the chip, ditch the *useless* goal judge (really, they don't do anything, we pay guys to watch hockey), and use the video replay for anything we're not sure about *just like we do now*.

Side benefit, sell a couple more tres expensive seats just behind the net.

Note, you ditch the judge, but not the red light. Losing the red light would be a huge mistake, so the system would have to make the light go off.

I thought this new flashing net stuff was manual? Did they really make a system that does it automatically?

PecaFan is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 04:45 PM
  #10
KungFuPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Do they really need to have an actual computer chip inside the puck? Wouldn't a simple lump of magnetic material work? Put a coil under the ice just inside the goal line and use induction to trigger a signal, just like automatic garage door openers?

You'd have to keep the video goal judges, and maybe even goal judges too, because positioning this coil with satisfactory precision every game could probably become tricky, but unfrozen pucks shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, it may be too complicated to calibrate the system so that it doesn't trigger on pucks shot just over or wide of the net...

KungFuPenguin is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 05:23 PM
  #11
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
it was discussed a while ago, and we all agreed there should be some sort of motif to the lights, and it should sing 'la cucaracha' when a goal is scored. seriously, i don't care for the idea.
What if they attached a "Big Billy Bass" to the crossbar and it activated every time a goal was scored? Yes? No?

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 05:25 PM
  #12
Marmax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Pucks only behave when frozen, so they would have to invent computer chips that don't freeze in sub-zero temperatures.


And even if they do find a way, I still don't like it. Some of the game's traditions should not be subject to being erased by technology.

Well actually most computer chips works better in sub-zero temperatures. For instance, our computers server at work run at -20 all year long. So it should be possible. The problem is, are the pucks going to react as they used to if they are filled with computer junk.

Marmax is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:00 PM
  #13
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,847
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Why is doing away with the goal judge such a big freaking concern? The vast majority of the time they are right, and when they aren't it is quickly resolved and made right. How about workable ways to cut back on stick work and obstruction are found before we start wondering what to cram into a puck to make the net flash?

Winger98 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:24 PM
  #14
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,138
vCash: 50
If they manage to get a chip in the puck you could have a new class of stats. The velocity of every shot could be measured etc (providing you had technology that would follow the puck everywhere and update the position often enough).

Freudian is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:26 PM
  #15
ringbr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuPenguin
Do they really need to have an actual computer chip inside the puck? Wouldn't a simple lump of magnetic material work? Put a coil under the ice just inside the goal line and use induction to trigger a signal, just like automatic garage door openers?

You'd have to keep the video goal judges, and maybe even goal judges too, because positioning this coil with satisfactory precision every game could probably become tricky, but unfrozen pucks shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, it may be too complicated to calibrate the system so that it doesn't trigger on pucks shot just over or wide of the net...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
If they manage to get a chip in the puck you could have a new class of stats. The velocity of every shot could be measured etc (providing you had technology that would follow the puck everywhere and update the position often enough).

Radiofrequency identification (RFID) would be perfect for something like this.

Much like some talks about RFID replacing bar codes on the products you buy in stores, this can possibly be done with a puck. My prediction is that what the system will use is an RFID transponder in the puck, and an RFID receiever somewhere around the goal. The transponders can be made to be real small and durable, so it can fit inside of a puck and not interfere with the characteristics of the puck, as compared to an unaltered puck. There's no battery needed in the puck, so less parts, and less hassle. It gets powered from the RFID receiever in the goal. In fact, the RFID technology can also be used for more than just goal light triggering, but to possibly "track" the puck across the ice, and can show a puck "trail" on a drawout of the ice. There's some ideas.


Last edited by ringbr: 11-27-2003 at 07:40 PM.
ringbr is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:56 PM
  #16
Spaceace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 2,000 miles from Savvis
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
I'd say the opposite. Use the chip, ditch the *useless* goal judge (really, they don't do anything, we pay guys to watch hockey), and use the video replay for anything we're not sure about *just like we do now*.

Side benefit, sell a couple more tres expensive seats just behind the net.

Note, you ditch the judge, but not the red light. Losing the red light would be a huge mistake, so the system would have to make the light go off.

I thought this new flashing net stuff was manual? Did they really make a system that does it automatically?
LOVE your avatar PecaFan,

Spaceace is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 07:01 PM
  #17
Big Deaner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it looked interesting.

Sportsnet showed what the Ottawa 67's have done with their nets - the posts flash red when the puck enters the net. The net starts flashing when it senses the whole puck crossing the line therefore making goal judges useless and inconclusive goals conclusive.

They say Los Angeles and Washington may be trying it in the near future..

Anyone heard anything about this?
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that some soccer leagues in Europe were trying out a system like this but the only difference is their using the sensors to detect offsides instead of goals. I'm sure it could work somehow, not to sure if the goalies would appreciate it too much, they might end up getting sun burned or something.

Big Deaner is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 07:25 PM
  #18
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmax
Well actually most computer chips works better in sub-zero temperatures. For instance, our computers server at work run at -20 all year long. So it should be possible. The problem is, are the pucks going to react as they used to if they are filled with computer junk.
Yeah, but you know how powerful those suckers are? You wouldn't need a chip that powerful(and thus generating that much heat requiring subzero cooling) in a puck that will just transmit a signal. And a chip that small, if it generated that kind of heat, would heat up the puck very very quickly and screw with the puck anyways.
Besides, EVERY SINGLE GOAL is reviewed before the puck is dropped at centre ice nowadays. The goal judge is merely a formality, and, as was said before, a tradition. Sometimes they're a bit trigger happy and flip the light on before the puck actually crosses the line.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:44 PM
  #19
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Here is the Demo video from LitNets.

For Windows Users. Window's Media Player

For those with Quicktime Players Mac.

I'd rather not have the posts flash and stick with the red light but use the system.

Belanger25 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:47 PM
  #20
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
is there some way we could program the nets to start on fire if a slapshot of over 100mph scores?

andora is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:48 PM
  #21
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
is there some way we could program the nets to start on fire if a slapshot of over 100mph scores?
lol.

Belanger25 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:49 PM
  #22
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
Here is the Demo video from LitNets.

For Windows Users. Window's Media Player

For those with Quicktime Players Mac.

I'd rather not have the posts flash and stick with the red light but use the system.

OMFG that is horrible.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:50 PM
  #23
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
OMFG that is horrible.
Yeah. I was hoping it was the Video. Because the whole video seemed Kinda dark. And then the Red goal post hit you and your like. AHHH!

Belanger25 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:55 PM
  #24
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
Yeah. I was hoping it was the Video. Because the whole video seemed Kinda dark. And then the Red goal post hit you and your like. AHHH!
It has nothing to do with the video.

The concept of having 3 posts flashing is horrible. You would think a goaltender would be upset enough having let in a goal, but then to have his posts flashing like that making him look even worse is just a stupid idea.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:58 PM
  #25
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
It has nothing to do with the video.

The concept of having 3 posts flashing is horrible. You would think a goaltender would be upset enough having let in a goal, but then to have his posts flashing like that making him look even worse is just a stupid idea.
Putting it that way does make it worse. That would suck for a Goalie. Because after to let a goal in most goalies turn around and hand on the net.

Belanger25 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.