HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flashing Nets, No more Goal Judges?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

vCash: 500
Yeah. Lit nets are way worse than having smoke released and fog horns going off and lights flashing and music playing. This one would be the last straw!

What a bunch of luddites.

Old
11-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it looked interesting.

Sportsnet showed what the Ottawa 67's have done with their nets - the posts flash red when the puck enters the net. The net starts flashing when it senses the whole puck crossing the line therefore making goal judges useless and inconclusive goals conclusive.

They say Los Angeles and Washington may be trying it in the near future..

Anyone heard anything about this?

did they say weather it worked well or not?

Old
11-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
Yeah. Lit nets are way worse than having smoke released and fog horns going off and lights flashing and music playing. This one would be the last straw!

What a bunch of luddites.
they are against the industrial revolution, those ********

Old
11-28-2003, 03:49 AM
discostu

I saw the same segment last night as well.

From what I understand, the technology isn't there yet to automatically lights the nets when the puck goes in. For the junior games that it's being used for, it's trigger manually. From what I saw from the segment on TV, it even looked like there was a lag from the actual goal-light to the nets lighting up, indicating that it wasn't hooked up directly to the goal judge's switch.

Personally, I like the concept of the lights themselves, but not of developing the technology to automatically detecting goals. I foresee a lot of problems with relying on it (moreso than with actual judges).

As for the posts lighting up, I like the justification the inventor gave. When a goal goes in, everyone's line of sight is directed at the net, because that's where the action is. When a goal is scored, there's often a slight delay in the crowd (and those watching at home). I find, if I don't have a clear line of sight on the puck, I'm usually reacting to the goal by the players reaction, moreso than the goal lamp. The lit up posts would be more immediate, as everyone in the arena and those watching at home would know precisely when the goal crosses the line.

Old
11-28-2003, 04:01 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Personally, I like the concept of the lights themselves, but not of developing the technology to automatically detecting goals. I foresee a lot of problems with relying on it (moreso than with actual judges).
I know how you feel, because basically it's taking away an instance for a "judgement" call. Technology should never take away from judgement calls in sports. You start doing it for one thing, then you do it for another, then you get rid of people to make judgements all together. Therefore, I hate the idea.

Old
11-28-2003, 05:02 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I know how you feel, because basically it's taking away an instance for a "judgement" call. Technology should never take away from judgement calls in sports. You start doing it for one thing, then you do it for another, then you get rid of people to make judgements all together. Therefore, I hate the idea.
I wouldn't go that far. If you have a technology that will be superior to to judges with respect to reliability, accuracy and timeliness, you have to go with technology. However, in this case, I think that the technology will be more timely, but I have my doubts on the reliability and accuracy. Since the cost of implementing it in lower leagues at full capability (i.e. sensors in the nets and pucks) is probably too high, it can't be tested in a real-world setting for a while. The league shouldn't close the door on doing this in the future, but they need to wait to ensure that reliability and accuracy are there, not to mention the impact on the puck itself, as others have mentioned.

Old
11-28-2003, 05:08 AM
smashviller

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm not sure if this has been posted, but it looked interesting.

Sportsnet showed what the Ottawa 67's have done with their nets - the posts flash red when the puck enters the net. The net starts flashing when it senses the whole puck crossing the line therefore making goal judges useless and inconclusive goals conclusive.

They say Los Angeles and Washington may be trying it in the near future..

Anyone heard anything about this?

what in the world?!

I dont know about that but there is a goal issue that I would like to see resolved., refs blowing the whistle to early or too late when the goalie covers the puck.

It irks me that sometimes the refs blow the whistle as soon as it touches the netminder, and other times wait until there are 5 people in the crease hacking at the goalies glove... I just want some consistancy.

Old
11-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
did they say weather it worked well or not?
As far as I can remember they didn't say anything on how well it works, but I would imagine that it would work pretty well consistently.

There is a good concern though, cheating. Who knows what kind of wacko strategies players will use to cheat. Maybe they will put computer chips in their sticks?

Old
11-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
LOVE your avatar PecaFan,
Diddo. Who is it?

Old
11-28-2003, 11:32 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
haha... that new technology would only be funny if Andre Racicot was in nets

Old
11-28-2003, 01:27 PM
evman150*

Is this is ever implemented I will quit watching hockey.

What a joke. Leave it for the gimmicky bush leagues.

Brutal.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Vman

I saw it too, but if they put those in NHL games, it would be too high tech look, I don't like it. So what if an Al MacInnis shap shot hit the post, will the post shattter or something?

Old
11-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Malefic74

Okay, count me in with the "bad idea" crowd.

NHL rules state that the puck has to be completely over the line for a goal to count. Not 1/2 over or 3/4; all the way. So if this chip is embedded in the center of the puck, and the puck is three quarters in before being swept out play should continue. Meanwhile you have these posts that make the net look like the front door of a peeler bar while play goes on.

This is a bad idea. Gimmicks like this is are ridiculous. You don't see NFL goalposts that light up like a Christmas Tree for every touchdown do you?

I am not at all surprised however that it is two American based teams looking into it howver.

Old
11-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Youreallygotme

I saw it on sportsnet, and I REALLY dont like the look of it. its annoying, takes your attention away from the goal scored i bet. having the goal light go off automatically isnt such a bad idea though.

Old
11-28-2003, 02:23 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Oh god.. they are slowly becoming basketball.

Old
11-29-2003, 12:37 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
NHL rules state that the puck has to be completely over the line for a goal to count. Not 1/2 over or 3/4; all the way. So if this chip is embedded in the center of the puck, and the puck is three quarters in before being swept out play should continue. Meanwhile you have these posts that make the net look like the front door of a peeler bar while play goes on.
And this is different from the current system how? We *already* have guys lighting off lights and foghorns when the puck doesn't go completely in or hits the post, and we have to go to video replay to prove they didn't go in.

False positives are no reason to ditch this system, since this system may have even less of them than the current system.

If you want to be against it on esthetic grounds, then by all means.

For those asking, the avatar is the french singer Alizee. Catchy tunes, though I don't understand 'em. http://www.moi-alizee.com/

Old
11-30-2003, 12:54 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
idea = just don't have the flashing posts, but have the sensor, so it registers upstairs in the booth.. keep the goal judge, if there is a problem, they've got the signal upstairs, not candycane lane on the posts

Closed Thread