HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Wild even care about winning?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
  #1
Lettuce
 
Lettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Do the Wild even care about winning?

After watching today's game vs. Columbus, I thought to myself, do we even care about winning? The past few weeks, we've played with no energy or determination. We have had Wyatt Smith, Veilleux, and Brent Burns on the powerplay for crying out loud. Does Jacques want us to play defense on the powerplay?

I realize that we are injured, but we should not be losing to Columbus. With the way we are playing right now, I would say we are one of the worst teams in the league, especially on the road. You would think that they would be playing a ton harder on the road because they don't have the support of the fans, but that is not the case. We look like a bunch of squirts or mites on the road, it is just pathetic. If I was Jacques Lemaire, I would be skating these guys until they vomit or fall over, because they definitely need a serious wake-up call.

Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 09:14 PM
  #2
aylib
User and abuser
 
aylib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Stale ol' Hockey
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
After watching today's game vs. Columbus, I thought to myself, do we even care about winning? The past few weeks, we've played with no energy or determination. We have had Wyatt Smith, Veilleux, and Brent Burns on the powerplay for crying out loud. Does Jacques want us to play defense on the powerplay?

I realize that we are injured, but we should not be losing to Columbus. With the way we are playing right now, I would say we are one of the worst teams in the league, especially on the road. You would think that they would be playing a ton harder on the road because they don't have the support of the fans, but that is not the case. We look like a bunch of squirts or mites on the road, it is just pathetic. If I was Jacques Lemaire, I would be skating these guys until they vomit or fall over, because they definitely need a serious wake-up call.
Now that we have hit a rough stretch this comes out.
A month ago, many (myself included), were saying this team is for real, this and that. We need not be so streaky.
Ok. Beating Columbus is far from given these days, considering they are busting their ***** trying to impress Hitch.
Yes, we are injured. Playing certain players on PP might be a message to others. Then again, it is possible that they deserve to be out on PP.

aylib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 10:40 PM
  #3
The Big E
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
Because I'm lazy and don't want to say the same thing a second time, check out this thread:

What's going on in Minny?

Here's what I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
Every November and December the Wild have a bad patch. In 02/03 we had a hot enough start that we still made the playoffs. Last season it was began in November and the team went completely f***ing cold until mid-January. Unfortunately, the Wild are behaving normally.

The Wild are 4-7 in November with two games yet to go. If we can win the next two (as unlikely as it seems at this juncture), we'll be 6-7 for November and I would consider this a success considering our history. 5-8 wouldn't be horrible.

It helps when you have a 7 game winning streak to start the season and go 10-2 in October. Let's face it, we're 14-8 counting tonites shut out win. We're still atop the NW division. I watched the last two periods of the Ottowa game. We were peppering Emery with shots. We also couldn't get a friendly bounce for any rebounds. We could have pulled that out. We've got the talent.

On the other hand, I see some running around in the defensive end. I think we're chasing the opposition a little rather than playing our rope-a-dope style defense. Typically, we limit the opposition to perimeter shots and rely upon Manny to gobble them up. Maybe Manny being off his game is causing this. Also, I don't see the anticipation I'd seen earlier in the season in our defensive end. In October we just seemed to anticipate where to go defensively a little better.

Overall, I think its just that we're not working smart enough in our own zone. I think guys are getting sucked out of position defensively too often forcing their teammates to compensate and occasionally leading to Keystone Kops style defending which is embarrassing.

Wild Thing: I feel yer pain brutha! However, W. T. F. can we do about it ... . It's your skull to do with as you wish. I've got other walls upon which I bash my brains out.

O yea. People have mentioned our injury list:
Gaborik (most dangerous player)
Demitra (dangerous player)
Nummelin (great on the PP, has been excellent this season) -- how long's he out btw, did he play vs. Phoenix?
Walz (stabilizes our defense)
Boogie (team's mess with us when he's not suited up)

These are key roles. We can do well without just one. Of course we're not going to play as well without all of them ... even Boogie plays a key role.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 01:54 AM
  #4
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
After watching today's game vs. Columbus, I thought to myself, do we even care about winning? The past few weeks, we've played with no energy or determination. We have had Wyatt Smith, Veilleux, and Brent Burns on the powerplay for crying out loud. Does Jacques want us to play defense on the powerplay?

I realize that we are injured, but we should not be losing to Columbus. With the way we are playing right now, I would say we are one of the worst teams in the league, especially on the road. You would think that they would be playing a ton harder on the road because they don't have the support of the fans, but that is not the case. We look like a bunch of squirts or mites on the road, it is just pathetic. If I was Jacques Lemaire, I would be skating these guys until they vomit or fall over, because they definitely need a serious wake-up call.
You all do have a lot of injuries and on an already shallow roster this hurts. Your starting goalie is burned out presently, and your coach apparently has no faith in your back up. You didn't "lose" to Columbus you were soundly beaten in every aspect and phase of the game. Lemaire is an emotionally manipulative and demanding taskmaster who manages to wring out every ounce of emotional and physical energy from your players. Columbus is a talented and physically imposing team...we banged the bejeezus out of you tonight and y'all didn't have the reserves to fight back. It happens. And it happens often in our Barn... any of you bother to check out the date of your last victory in C'bus? I doubt it... it's been over two years since you won a game from us here. I think you're now 0-9-1 (something very close to that) when you show up here.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 09:33 AM
  #5
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
We rarely show up in Columbus. Something about that place. Besides, we were ripe to drop one to a bad team:
1) nice win the previous night.
2) back to back.
3) coaching change on the other team.
4) nasty slump on the other team.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 10:20 AM
  #6
Lettuce
 
Lettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
You all do have a lot of injuries and on an already shallow roster this hurts. Your starting goalie is burned out presently, and your coach apparently has no faith in your back up. You didn't "lose" to Columbus you were soundly beaten in every aspect and phase of the game. Lemaire is an emotionally manipulative and demanding taskmaster who manages to wring out every ounce of emotional and physical energy from your players. Columbus is a talented and physically imposing team...we banged the bejeezus out of you tonight and y'all didn't have the reserves to fight back. It happens. And it happens often in our Barn... any of you bother to check out the date of your last victory in C'bus? I doubt it... it's been over two years since you won a game from us here. I think you're now 0-9-1 (something very close to that) when you show up here.
If our team was healthy we probably would have beaten Columbus last night. Remember earlier this year? We dominated Columbus 5-0. The Wild are supposed to be the better team, so they should beat the teams that aren't as good as them. Columbus is good (which is hard to say since they have 6 wins), but the Wild are better if they are healthy.

Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
  #7
a79krgm
Registered User
 
a79krgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: White Bear Lake
Country: United States
Posts: 675
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Columbus is not the worst team in the West. They have some talent up front and they are currently eager to turn things around. On the other hand Phoenix is without a doubt the worst team then Wild have faced. Did anyone see the shorthanded goal that the Wild scored on Friday? Nagy gave a little tap on Rolston's shins and then climbed over the boards while Rolston and Dupuis skated away on a 2-on-1. That was a sure sign of a team that will lose a lot of games.

If a 4-0 pounding Phoenix created an over confidient Wild squad in Columbus then I would blame the coaching staff on this one.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:22 AM
  #8
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
If our team was healthy we probably would have beaten Columbus last night. Remember earlier this year? We dominated Columbus 5-0. The Wild are supposed to be the better team, so they should beat the teams that aren't as good as them. Columbus is good (which is hard to say since they have 6 wins), but the Wild are better if they are healthy.
This is a different Bluejackets team then earlier this year. I don't deal in "what ifs" At this point in the season, a win is a win. Besides...this isn't college football, its the NHL... Its fully plausible that the Jackets shutout the wild sometime this season.


Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 11-26-2006 at 05:06 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:29 PM
  #9
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
We rarely show up in Columbus. Something about that place. Besides, we were ripe to drop one to a bad team:
1) nice win the previous night.
2) back to back.
3) coaching change on the other team.
4) nasty slump on the other team.
points somewhat subjective WE TOO
lost to one of the worst teams in the league the previous night

back to back

it was our second coaching change of THE SEASON this time we got a real one... slighty even better than yours IMO

and a nasty slide on the other on the other teams side... something like 2-6(now7)- something you all are for the last 10 or so.

sack up there...you're starting to sound like rationalizing desperate Blue Jacket fans. (hint: not good.)

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
  #10
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
If our team was healthy we probably would have beaten Columbus last night. Remember earlier this year? We dominated Columbus 5-0. The Wild are supposed to be the better team, so they should beat the teams that aren't as good as them. Columbus is good (which is hard to say since they have 6 wins), but the Wild are better if they are healthy.
oh, the Wild are supposed to be a far superior team to the Blue Jackets just as your record reflects. fortunately, there are still a couple games this season which will determine who the better team is. see ya soon!

Edit: for the record: I think the signing of KJ was the best signing this summer... i have always loved that guy (and this is not because of the goal off his skate) i genuinely believe he's gonna be a ROCK for the wild. and, i do look forward to seeing your club again when y'all get healed up again. really!


Last edited by Pluckfur: 11-26-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 09:51 AM
  #11
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
points somewhat subjective WE TOO
lost to one of the worst teams in the league the previous night

back to back

it was our second coaching change of THE SEASON this time we got a real one... slighty even better than yours IMO

and a nasty slide on the other on the other teams side... something like 2-6(now7)- something you all are for the last 10 or so.

sack up there...you're starting to sound like rationalizing desperate Blue Jacket fans. (hint: not good.)


I disagree. You're coming off a loss, not a win. That's very different. First game at home with a new coach, teams usually respond well to a coaching change, especially when you get one like Hitch who will straighten guys out if they're screwing off. I'm not saying the BJs didn't play well. I'm just saying in the historical, hockey gods sense of things, this was a good setup for a Wild loss.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.