Notices

Bruins draft pick update- 2004

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
Bruins draft pick update- 2004

Thought I'd post the picks by round for those who are serious draftniks and like to project who might be on the board based on where Boston is throughout the year...

Round 1...........1
Round 2...........2 (Detroit's selection previously traded to Los Angeles acquired for Jozef Stumpel)
Round 3...........1
Round 4...........1 (Bruins acquired TB's selection for John Grahame, then dealt it to San Jose as part of Jillson/Hackett trade)
Round 5...........2 (Phoenix's selection acquired for rights to Darren McLachlan)
Round 6...........0 (Traded to CBJ for Travis Green)
Round 7...........1
Round 8...........1
Round 9...........1

Total picks: 10

Total day one picks: 4

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 11-28-2003 at 08:57 AM.
Old
11-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirtbag
What are the rules when a UFA signs with another team? Is there a certain salary restriction before a compensation pick is awarded?

I'm curious to know if we will get compensation picks for Jeff Hackett and Don Sweeney?

Sweeney is making a mere $550,000
Hackett is making $3,000,000

we signed Potvin for $1,300,000

Do we get anything for the loss of Hackett at least?
The Bruins should get something for losing Hackett and Sweeney both, but the formula is convoluted enough that few can figure it out beforehand.

The B's could land a third-rounder for Hackett given his salary.

Sweeney will most likely be a compensation pick in round 7-9.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:23 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
The Bruins should get something for losing Hackett and Sweeney both, but the formula is convoluted enough that few can figure it out beforehand.

The B's could land a third-rounder for Hackett given his salary.

Sweeney will most likely be a compensation pick in round 7-9.
i believe that the formula takes into account potvin's salary. so take hackett at 3 million, and potvin at 1.3, and we're probably looking at something like a 5th - basically what dafoe landed us last year.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
i believe that the formula takes into account potvin's salary. so take hackett at 3 million, and potvin at 1.3, and we're probably looking at something like a 5th - basically what dafoe landed us last year.
Dafoe's compensation was actually fourth-rounder (Frank Rediker- 118th), but yes- Potvin's salary could force the B's compensation for Hackett into a second day selection.

I think there's a chance the Bruins could end up with a late third-rounder for him, though.

Old
11-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
So we should have 13 picks overall then barring any trades?
Probably, yes.

But I will confirm that with the team before anything else.

I know that the B's get no comp. pick for Bryan Berard, but should get something for both of Hackett and Sweeney. What that is exactly we won't know until the week of the draft, however.

Old
11-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Gary

Quote:
Thought I'd post the picks by round for those who are serious draftniks and like to project who might be on the board based on where Boston is throughout the year...

Round 1...........1
Round 2...........2 (Detroit's selection previously traded to Los Angeles acquired for Jozef Stumpel)
Round 3...........1
Round 4...........1 (Bruins acquired TB's selection for John Grahame, then dealt it to San Jose as part of Jillson/Hackett trade)
Round 5...........2 (Phoenix's selection acquired for rights to Darren McLachlan)
Round 6...........1
Round 7...........1
Round 8...........1
Round 9...........1

Total picks: 11

Now we just need a pyscho (or pyschic) to find out what slots we're in Thanks for the info Kirk

Old
11-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
What are the rules when a UFA signs with another team? Is there a certain salary restriction before a compensation pick is awarded?

I'm curious to know if we will get compensation picks for Jeff Hackett and Don Sweeney?

Sweeney is making a mere $550,000
Hackett is making $3,000,000

we signed Potvin for $1,300,000

Do we get anything for the loss of Hackett at least?
I'm pretty sure you dont get a compensation pick if you signed a FA replacement. In this case I think signing Potvin means no compensation for losing Hackett.. Potvin's salary isnt relevant. I think the formula also includes the importance of the player to the team and Hackett played less than 20 games.. I doubt it would have been a pick on the first day.

Sweeney looks a better bet for a comp pick unless you also signed a FA defenseman to replace him.

Old
11-28-2003, 04:27 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
I'm pretty sure you dont get a compensation pick if you signed a FA replacement. In this case I think signing Potvin means no compensation for losing Hackett.. Potvin's salary isnt relevant.
I'm not sure about that. My understanding of the rule is that a team does get compensated unless they sign a player to the same position at the comparable rate or more. How many games Hackett played for Boston is irrelevant, given that he was injured for an entire month.

But I will contact the team and ask if they are due any compensation for Hackett and that will clear up any confusion on this.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Didn't we trade our 6th rounder for Green?

Old
11-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBRUINS19
Didn't we trade our 6th rounder for Green?
Good call.

Old
11-28-2003, 10:21 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:

Round 1...........1
Round 3...........1
Round 6...........0 (Traded to CBJ for Travis Green)
Round 7...........1
Round 8...........1
Round 9...........1

Total picks: 10

If the minutia is out of the way, the interesting questions are: what's available to the Bruins when they select in the first two rounds and (ignoring the "take the best player available" mantra) what do the Bruins need?

Old
11-29-2003, 01:45 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
More Wingers with skill!
Yes, an Ilya Kovalchuk-clone would be at the top of my Xmas wish list.
We could probably use more centers and pests as well.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Yes, an Ilya Kovalchuk-clone would be at the top of my Xmas wish list.
We could probably use more centers and pests as well.

MJ-

Here are some players to keep an eye on for the coming draft:

Andrew Ladd, LW Calgary (WHL) 6-2, 199

Drew Stafford, RW Univ. North Dakota (WCHA) 6-2, 200

Kyle Chipchura, C Prince Albert (WHL) 6-1, 195

David Booth, LW Michigan State (CCHA) 6-1, 208

Vaclav Meidl, C Plymouth (OHL) 6-3, 178

Matt Auffrey, LW U.S. U-18 (USHL) 6-1, 186

Alexander Radulov, RW Moscow Dynamo (Russia) 6-0, 176

Carl Soderberg, C MIF Redhawks (Sweden) 6-3, 196

Kevin Mailhiot, LW Drummondville (QMJHL) 6-2, 185

Andy Rogers, D Calgary (WHL) 6-4, 210

Old
11-29-2003, 12:01 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
MJ-

Yes, I like Stafford especially. How about the Czech, Jakub Sindel?

Old
11-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Yes, I like Stafford especially. How about the Czech, Jakub Sindel?
Sindel looks like a potential top-10 pick, hence I left him off the list.

Ladd could get there too...

Old
11-29-2003, 12:44 PM
orrthegreatest

Quote:
MJ-

Thanks Kirk,
I really enjoy your articles you write, I live on the west coast and thank God for the internet where I can keep up with the Bruins. Will you be doing any articles on the Bruins and the draft sometime? Are these some of the players you have heard the Bruins are interesting in or are they some that you believe they will be interested in? Once again thanks

Old
11-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrthegreatest
Thanks Kirk,
I really enjoy your articles you write, I live on the west coast and thank God for the internet where I can keep up with the Bruins. Will you be doing any articles on the Bruins and the draft sometime? Are these some of the players you have heard the Bruins are interesting in or are they some that you believe they will be interested in? Once again thanks
I really appreciate you saying that.

To answer your question, I will definitely be doing a lot of draft stories in the coming months. Beginning in January, I will add the "Draft Watch" feature to my weekly column, in which I will profile an '04 draft prospect who could be in range when the B's pick in June.

As for who the Bruins are interested in, Scott Bradley and his scouts do a great job of *not* revealing their intentions or any other inside information to anyone outside of the organization. They simply don't give any indication one way or another that they have particular interest in a certain player. It's a good policy, and their recent track record of "surprise" picks and the way those prospects have developed/are developing is a testament to how close they keep their draft cards to the vest.

Old
11-29-2003, 01:45 PM
orrthegreatest

Quote:
I really appreciate you saying that.

To answer your question, I will definitely be doing a lot of draft stories in the coming months. Beginning in January, I will add the "Draft Watch" feature to my weekly column, in which I will profile an '04 draft prospect who could be in range when the B's pick in June.

As for who the Bruins are interested in, Scott Bradley and his scouts do a great job of *not* revealing their intentions or any other inside information to anyone outside of the organization. They simply don't give any indication one way or another that they have particular interest in a certain player. It's a good policy, and their recent track record of "surprise" picks and the way those prospects have developed/are developing is a testament to how close they keep their draft cards to the vest.
I really look forward to your draft articles...Have you seen any of these players play that you mentioned.

Old
11-29-2003, 01:47 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
I really look forward to your draft articles...Have you seen any of these players play that you mentioned.
I've seen Stafford and Booth.

But I talk regularly with a scout whose seen most everyone else.

Old
11-29-2003, 02:16 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Sindel looks like a potential top-10 pick, hence I left him off the list.

Ladd could get there too...
It looks like Sindel was #15 on Mckeen's previous top thirty list. I suppose you expect Lauri Tukonen to go fairly early too?

Last edited by misterjaggers: 11-29-2003 at 02:22 PM.
Old
11-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
It looks like Sindel was #15 on Mckeen's previous top thirty list. I suppose you expect Lauri Tukonen to go fairly early too?
Red Line has Sindel top-10, and I'm hearing that he'll be fairly high on the CSS Euro list.

Tukonen is expected to go high, yes. But, he's been a bit of a disappointment. Two years ago, he was being considered as a potential top-three pick and franchise player, but he's fallen off quite a bit since then. Not enough to drop out of the top-10 most likely (although there's plenty of hockey left) but it'll take a lot for him to reverse his fall. A strong WJC would do wonders...

Another guy I'm hearing bad things about is Robbie Schremp. He's been hyped heavily in hockey circles since he was 13, and based on what I've heard from a few good sources, he's not doing much to justify the lofty billing that his legion of fans have created for him. Again- he won't be a Patrick O'Sullivan who drops out of the first round, but I don't think he's going to be the high pick that many expected before the season started.

I'd be glad to answer any questions via PM or my email account if any posters don't want to put them on this thread...

k_luedeke@hotmail.com

Old
11-29-2003, 05:25 PM
orrthegreatest

Quote:
I've seen Stafford and Booth.

But I talk regularly with a scout whose seen most everyone else.
I haven't heard much of these two Stafford and Booth, how did they look to you when you saw them?
What did you think of the Bruins picking Mark Stuart in the first rd. this past June, did you like it then, and what about now, how have the reports been on him. Thanks

Old
11-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
I haven't heard much of these two Stafford and Booth, how did they look to you when you saw them?
What did you think of the Bruins picking Mark Stuart in the first rd. this past June, did you like it then, and what about now, how have the reports been on him. Thanks
Stafford is a pure power forward- goes to the net hard and has good skills and size. He doesn't get a lot of ink in Grand Forks because Zach Parise has a lot more star quality, but Stafford has been very good when I've seen him and will be a player, I feel.

Booth- Similar player in style to Stafford- good size and frame- muscles opponents off the puck and has a nice touch around the net. He's a late '84 birthdate which hurts him a little bit because he is older than a lot of the other freshman draft eligibles he's competing against.

I think the Bruins would do well with either, although Stafford clearly is the better player right now, with bigger upside.

Mark Stuart- I loved the pick then and feel the same way now. He was thought of pretty highly by a lot of scouts and teams because of his all-around game and intangibles. To get him 21st, while adding two more draft picks in the deal was a very good move for the Bruins. Stuart won't be an All-Star, but he'll play a long time and help stabilize the defense. I don't think you can go wrong at all with him- as long as he stays healthy, he'll be a fine player for the B's down the road. He's already an assistant captain as a sophomore, and if he goes back to CC next year, I think he'll wear the 'C'.

Old
11-30-2003, 06:21 AM
orrthegreatest

Quote:
Stafford is a pure power forward- goes to the net hard and has good skills and size. He doesn't get a lot of ink in Grand Forks because Zach Parise has a lot more star quality, but Stafford has been very good when I've seen him and will be a player, I feel.

Booth- Similar player in style to Stafford- good size and frame- muscles opponents off the puck and has a nice touch around the net. He's a late '84 birthdate which hurts him a little bit because he is older than a lot of the other freshman draft eligibles he's competing against.

I think the Bruins would do well with either, although Stafford clearly is the better player right now, with bigger upside.

Mark Stuart- I loved the pick then and feel the same way now. He was thought of pretty highly by a lot of scouts and teams because of his all-around game and intangibles. To get him 21st, while adding two more draft picks in the deal was a very good move for the Bruins. Stuart won't be an All-Star, but he'll play a long time and help stabilize the defense. I don't think you can go wrong at all with him- as long as he stays healthy, he'll be a fine player for the B's down the road. He's already an assistant captain as a sophomore, and if he goes back to CC next year, I think he'll wear the 'C'.
Thanks for taking the time, I have heard the same about Stuart, I am jazzed about his future with the Bruins...Stafford and Booth sound like good prospects, we could really use a dominant banger in the corners...I will keep an eye on them...

Old
11-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time, I have heard the same about Stuart, I am jazzed about his future with the Bruins...Stafford and Booth sound like good prospects, we could really use a dominant banger in the corners...I will keep an eye on them...
Glad to be of help.

Remember- you can email or PM me any time if you have questions. If I don't know the answer then, I'll get it.

Also- keep an eye on Vaclav Meidl (Plymouth- OHL). He's the atypical Euro who loves to hit and initiate contact. If he can demonstrate the skills and consistency, he could break into the first round.

Closed Thread