HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Jagr proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 03:29 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
The Jagr proposal

Lots of chat this week about Jagr and the Rangers. Here is my guess on the scenario that will in fact bare out.

the deal will be done between January 15th and the all star break.

The Capitals will trade
Jaromir Jagr and Kip Miller and agree to pay 45%(about $5m) of all salary paid to Jagr. In other words, if next season is cancelled do to the lockout and Jagr receives not money's from the Rangers, the Rangers receive no money's from the Capitals.

The Rangers trade Anson Carter and Dale Purinton.

Jagr will want Miller and the Caps will have no use for him without Jagr.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:13 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Lots of chat this week about Jagr and the Rangers. Here is my guess on the scenario that will in fact bare out.

the deal will be done between January 15th and the all star break.

The Capitals will trade
Jaromir Jagr and Kip Miller and agree to pay 45%(about $5m) of all salary paid to Jagr. In other words, if next season is cancelled do to the lockout and Jagr receives not money's from the Rangers, the Rangers receive no money's from the Capitals.

The Rangers trade Anson Carter and Dale Purinton.

Jagr will want Miller and the Caps will have no use for him without Jagr.
Throw in the Rangers #1 and put a limitation on help (2 years) and I'd bite. They could sub Lundmark and a #2.

Old
11-27-2003, 05:11 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
Throw in the Rangers #1 and put a limitation on help (2 years) and I'd bite. They could sub Lundmark and a #2.
exactly who is hepling whom on this one? if a trade goes down and thats a big "if" you will not be getting those players plus a number one and/or lundmark and a two? the caps are trying to unload him? they are the ones in a bad spot with his contract? you'll be lucky if you get the first two players mentioned!!

Old
11-27-2003, 05:24 PM
leafaholix*

Don't expect that much from New York (or any team that recieves Jagr).

If he's moved, the top player going to Washington will be probably be a 3rd liner... plus prospects and/or picks.

He'll land as much as Kovalev.

Old
11-27-2003, 08:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd take

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin

If he's moved, the top player going to Washington will be probably be a 3rd liner... plus prospects and/or picks.

TXPD I'd take that deal. I would love to get Barnaby in this though.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
11-28-2003, 04:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

No he won't land as much as Kovalev. Kovalev was moved because he was going to be a FA at the end of the season.

Jagr has 5 years and 55 M left on his contract. Taking on Jagr is a lot bigger commitment than taking Kovalev was.

11-28-2003, 04:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by borro

Why would the Rangers give up their #1 or Lundmark and a second? The Caps are really in no position to demand anything from the Rangers.

Old
11-28-2003, 04:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
exactly who is hepling whom on this one? if a trade goes down and thats a big "if" you will not be getting those players plus a number one and/or lundmark and a two? the caps are trying to unload him? they are the ones in a bad spot with his contract? you'll be lucky if you get the first two players mentioned!!

Exactly.

My guess is on the deal would be something along these lines:

To NYR: Jagr, $$$, 2nd rd pick in 04

To WAS: Kasparaitis, Carter, LaCouture, Purinton

Old
11-28-2003, 04:42 AM
txpd

Quote:

1. Isn't Carter a 3rd liner for the Rangers and a flop since being traded for? Isn't Purinton and extra defenseman without a spot the team? these are the perfect players for a Jagr deal?
2. With Carter's salary such as it is, what would the rangers get in return for Carter other than someone elses problems?
3. If Rangers decided that Kovalev, was not working out either(face it 3 goals in 22 games is not what the Rangers had in mind for this year.) do you think the Rangers would get quality player or players in return?

Old
11-28-2003, 04:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
1. Isn't Carter a 3rd liner for the Rangers and a flop since being traded for? Isn't Purinton and extra defenseman without a spot the team? these are the perfect players for a Jagr deal?
2. With Carter's salary such as it is, what would the rangers get in return for Carter other than someone elses problems?
3. If Rangers decided that Kovalev, was not working out either(face it 3 goals in 22 games is not what the Rangers had in mind for this year.) do you think the Rangers would get quality player or players in return?
1) You're getting caught up on labels like "third liner". Right now he's playing on the second line with Hlavac and Nedved.

2) Carter has a one year contract. And the Rangers could certainly eat some salary (if they had to) to get a deal done. I still believe there is interest in Carter around the league.

3) The Rangers are not looking to trade Kovalev. He starting to playithe way he should of late and also has 14 assists.

And, again, the Rangers could get more for Kovalev (and Carter) than the Caps would for Jagr for the mere fact that any financial commitment to them ends at the end of the season.

Old
11-28-2003, 05:18 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
1) You're getting caught up on labels like "third liner". Right now he's playing on the second line with Hlavac and Nedved.

2) Carter has a one year contract. And the Rangers could certainly eat some salary (if they had to) to get a deal done. I still believe there is interest in Carter around the league.

3) The Rangers are not looking to trade Kovalev. He starting to playithe way he should of late and also has 14 assists.

And, again, the Rangers could get more for Kovalev (and Carter) than the Caps would for Jagr for the mere fact that any financial commitment to them ends at the end of the season.
More? sure...what is more? So far none of the top money players known or rumored to be on the market have been moved. Carter has 5 pts in 22 games...right? Isn't that 3rd line type production? Yes, ive noticed Kovalev's assists. 17pts in 22 games is still below par for him and the truth is that he gets his assists in part because he gets touches on the power play. he has gotten his share of 2nd assists for being in the neighborhood. if at halfway kovalev has 7 goals and you are alright with that, I wonder if you would be so accepting of Lindros or Dvorak for that.

Old
11-28-2003, 05:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
More? sure...what is more? So far none of the top money players known or rumored to be on the market have been moved. Carter has 5 pts in 22 games...right? Isn't that 3rd line type production? Yes, ive noticed Kovalev's assists. 17pts in 22 games is still below par for him and the truth is that he gets his assists in part because he gets touches on the power play. he has gotten his share of 2nd assists for being in the neighborhood. if at halfway kovalev has 7 goals and you are alright with that, I wonder if you would be so accepting of Lindros or Dvorak for that.

Boy are you a tough critic. What a mess when Kovalev is getting points on the PP. You're right, let's just forget about those. And those secondary assists? Get rid of them too. In fact he probably owes the team points.

Truth be told, I don't care how many points Kovalev has so long as the team wins. With that said, with Kovalev's strong play of late, the Rangers have started to win some games.

Carter has struggled there is no other way to say it. I've been disappointed and I wanted Dvorak out for similar production (or lack thereof) last season. I'll admit it.

Old
11-28-2003, 06:35 AM
Habsfunk

If I could get Jagr for my team with 45% of his salary paid and without having to give up any significant assets I would jump all over it.

Old
11-28-2003, 06:48 AM
txpd

Quote:
Boy are you a tough critic. What a mess when Kovalev is getting points on the PP. You're right, let's just forget about those. And those secondary assists? Get rid of them too. In fact he probably owes the team points.
Let's go straight to the heart of the matter. the rangers are 23rd in the nhl on the power play. they are that in large measure because alexi kovalev has a bagel on the power play this year. the rangers are hovering around the .500 mark in part because they blow on the power play.

Old
11-28-2003, 06:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Let's go straight to the heart of the matter. the rangers are 23rd in the nhl on the power play. they are that in large measure because alexi kovalev has a bagel on the power play this year. the rangers are hovering around the .500 mark in part because they blow on the power play.
They've also played the majority of the season without Brian Leetch (that might have something to do with it). Lately with both Leetch and Kovalev playing better, the PP has been very good.

What I find interesting, however, is somehow we've gone from talking about a proposed Caps - Ranger deal to you killing Kovalev and the Rangers. Why is that?

Old
11-28-2003, 08:08 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
They've also played the majority of the season without Brian Leetch (that might have something to do with it). Lately with both Leetch and Kovalev playing better, the PP has been very good.

What I find interesting, however, is somehow we've gone from talking about a proposed Caps - Ranger deal to you killing Kovalev and the Rangers. Why is that?
i remember during the panthers game Sam and JD said after the PP goal that in the last 10 games the rangers PP has been so good that if they played like this the entire season they would be 7th on the PP in the league. i dont call that struggling. (not talking to you SBOB)

Old
11-28-2003, 10:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
i remember during the panthers game Sam and JD said after the PP goal that in the last 10 games the rangers PP has been so good that if they played like this the entire season they would be 7th on the PP in the league. i dont call that struggling. (not talking to you SBOB)

Yeah, I remember Sam and JD saying that as well. I couldn't remember the specifics but the power play has been very good of late.

Closed Thread