HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yzerman

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Turner

vCash: 500
Yzerman

I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that Stevie is taking a LOT of abuse? He took a hard hit from Kesla, a two hander from Conklin ON THE KNEE, and another Oiler tried to elbow him in the head. The thing that gets me is that no one really stood up for him other than Shanahan's half hearted attempt to get at Kesla. The wierd thing about it is that he gets hit far, far more than any other superstar. I don't know but I hope that his knee can stand up to it.

Old
11-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I think part of the problem is that he's just a bit less agile than he used to be. His body can almost do what he wants it to, but he's just enough slower to take part of a hit that he would have simply sidestepped before.

As for teammates not sticking up for him... I don't know. Aside from that Nashville game, which was frustration as much as anything, the Wings seem to avoid as much physical confrontation as possible. Even Bootland, while drawing penalties is a good thing, refused to go at least once last night when the game was pretty well in hand.

Maybe Lewis discourages it, or maybe the vets on the team just can't work up the attitude in these early season games. Or maybe it's because the Wings don't have a Joey Kocur type to put on the ice that keeps them from delving too far into the physical stuff.

Old
11-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner
I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that Stevie is taking a LOT of abuse? He took a hard hit from Kesla, a two hander from Conklin ON THE KNEE, and another Oiler tried to elbow him in the head. The thing that gets me is that no one really stood up for him other than Shanahan's half hearted attempt to get at Kesla. The wierd thing about it is that he gets hit far, far more than any other superstar. I don't know but I hope that his knee can stand up to it.
Not to mention the slew-foot Dvorak put on him in the corner the other night.
I agree with winger's assesment, Yzerman maybe lost a step due to injury and just can't completely get himself out of the way. I wouldn't mind if the Red Wings went out and got a tough D-man, because the defence isn't physical enough to begin with! .......It would just be a plus if he could step in when liberties are being taken with Steve.

Old
11-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Thrasherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
Not to mention the slew-foot Dvorak put on him in the corner the other night.
I agree with winger's assesment, Yzerman maybe lost a step due to injury and just can't completely get himself out of the way. I wouldn't mind if the Red Wings went out and got a tough D-man, because the defence isn't physical enough to begin with! .......It would just be a plus if he could step in when liberties are being taken with Steve.
Does anybody else long for the old days of Stevie playing between between Gerard Gallant and Bob Probert. NOBODY even thought about touching him.

Closed Thread