HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Himelfarb

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 04:59 PM
habsfan11

vCash: 500
Eric Himelfarb

did the habs make a mistake not signing him, he was just named OHL player of the week with 9 points in 3 games. I understand he wasnt considered a good prospect and we are already croweded in hamilton, but should we have given him a chance?

Old
11-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Well, maybe but our we have so many good fowards! And he's small, and you probably know that our prospect are small, so we don't need to many small prospect.

Old
11-27-2003, 05:14 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_
did the habs make a mistake not signing him, he was just named OHL player of the week with 9 points in 3 games. I understand he wasnt considered a good prospect and we are already croweded in hamilton, but should we have given him a chance?
No, he's an overager. He's expected to be better than the other players in that league!... It's Dusty Jamieson part II.

Old
11-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Mike8

Most definitely. He'd never be a scoring line player in the NHL, but Himelfarb's a give-it-your-all type of player who can play both ends of the rink, hit hard and hit well, create offensive chances as a bottom six forward, and keep the puck deep. Reminiscent of Kris Draper's style of play.

Old
11-27-2003, 09:04 PM
hosehead

I kind of hoped the Habs would give him a chance but I recall some posters who had followed the OHL pointed out that he didn't really progress after being drafted & didn't really look like a future NHLer.

As already noted, dominating junior as an overager is expected & doesn't really prove anything , just might get him a tryout with an NHL club.

Old
11-28-2003, 06:27 AM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Most definitely. He'd never be a scoring line player in the NHL, but Himelfarb's a give-it-your-all type of player who can play both ends of the rink, hit hard and hit well, create offensive chances as a bottom six forward, and keep the puck deep. Reminiscent of Kris Draper's style of play.
from what i've heard and read of the guy, the defensive end isn't his specialty (ie he may need an intro to his goaltender if they never met off the ice). am i wrong in that??

Old
11-28-2003, 06:59 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
I kind of hoped the Habs would give him a chance but I recall some posters who had followed the OHL pointed out that he didn't really progress after being drafted & didn't really look like a future NHLer.

As already noted, dominating junior as an overager is expected & doesn't really prove anything , just might get him a tryout with an NHL club.
Very well said. I saw Eric in Sarnia, and Barrie... there was no improvement whatsoever in his game... This guy will be career AHL/Europe.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
from what i've heard and read of the guy, the defensive end isn't his specialty (ie he may need an intro to his goaltender if they never met off the ice). am i wrong in that??
It's not his specialty in juniors, no. He's a high-tempo offensive player in juniors. However he showed in camp just how versatile he could be as he played a more defensive, chippy, high-tempo aggravator role instead.

What impressed me most about Himelfarb was how much he had improved from his first camp to his second. In his first camp it was clear that not only was size a major hurdle, but his lack of acceleration and top end speed was as well. Just a year later, his speed and acceleration had become an upside to his game. He trained hard, and became a fantastic skater (to the point that he was skating circles around Montreal prospects).

This dedication, and change to his game is extremely impressive. For those that say Himelfarb never improved his game during his junior stint: they're right, in terms of pure offensive development. But Himelfarb's game was stronger in terms of skating, speed, with more maturity and poise.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
No, he's an overager. He's expected to be better than the other players in that league!... It's Dusty Jamieson part II.
Good points KILLger

The truth of the matter is this. Himelfarb got the ball last year when he was traded for Tenute and a defenceman to Barrie for a Memorial cup run (after they lost in the conference finals to Plymouth)... Not only did he drop it (miserably) but he was shown up BY Tenute (who horribly outscored him) But the team dropped out of any major contention, and it is known in this town to be a REALLY bad trade... He was whisked off to Kingston this year, because we want this bad memory out of sight, and mind.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:38 PM
habitants9_4

He is soft, and I remember seeing him play, and I wasn't impressed at all. He might make the AHL one day, but very doubtful.

If anything we should sign Marty St-Pierre from Guelph.

Another small, high scoring player, but he is really rugged, and physical. Not affraid, he was soft in his draft year, which was the reason why he didn't get drafted. I have met him b4, as he lives in Guelph. He is worth the chance in the AHL.

Closed Thread