HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SkateMate skate sharpener ???

Old
11-26-2006, 10:50 AM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
SkateMate skate sharpener ???

has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of getting one... seems like an inexpensive alternative to getting skates sharped for $5 a pop each time...

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=893197#

i wonder if you can specify the radius with this thing... doesn't seem to say...

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 12:36 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
$5? That's cheap, here in FL, we gotta pay $8.....

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of getting one... seems like an inexpensive alternative to getting skates sharped for $5 a pop each time...

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=893197#

i wonder if you can specify the radius with this thing... doesn't seem to say...
From what I've heard this is just a better stone. It will not replace the need for you to get your skates sharpened, but should prolong the edge. You might get 10 or so extra hours out of the sharpen. Not a bad thing to try for $15 bucks if you've got the cash handy.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 06:06 PM
hockeyjoe_16

I have one of these http://www.pro-filer.com/index.htm and havn't taken my skates to the shop to be sharpened since the first shapening 5 yrs ago. You can get them in different radius.

hockeyjoe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjoe_16 View Post
I have one of these http://www.pro-filer.com/index.htm and havn't taken my skates to the shop to be sharpened since the first shapening 5 yrs ago. You can get them in different radius.
that's pretty remarkable. how often do you skate?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
hockeyjoe_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
that's pretty remarkable. how often do you skate?
Prob. averaged about once a week. I did have to replace the stone in the shapener but it was easy to do. I've actually had the shapener longer then these skates. It's so much easier then going to the skate shop (my rink doesn't have one on site). Best of all is you get the same shapening every time, you don't have to sweat is the right guy is there to do them (we all have "a guy" we rather do the skates).

Old
11-29-2006, 04:57 PM
ModSquad

Nothing, and I mean nothing, will replace a correct sharpening.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Polska

I've used them before (a friend has one) just to get through one or two more games, putting off a sharpening for a little while. But there's no way you can just stop sharpening your skates. $5 isn't that much. Pretty standard. Also, the place may have discount cards. I got one for $30, good for 10 sharpenings. You can save a little that way.

Also, I play drop-in with a trainer of a junior B team and when he saw me using it he advised against it. Said it shaves the outside of the edges and brings them too close together.

Polska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Phoenix

Hey that sounds great! One of the reasons I never sharpened my skates for...this is embarassing...a year... ...will never do that again...was cost. Only question is...does it require a bit of skill/knowledge to do it reasonably properly. Have never sharpened anything apart from kitchen knives before.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 04:41 PM
hockeyjoe_16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Hey that sounds great! One of the reasons I never sharpened my skates for...this is embarassing...a year... ...will never do that again...was cost. Only question is...does it require a bit of skill/knowledge to do it reasonably properly. Have never sharpened anything apart from kitchen knives before.
It's pretty simple, you basicly put some cutting oil on the skate blade, put the shapener on the blade and stroke it back and forth 10 - 15 times, turn the stone and repeat. do this about 3 times, it comes with a square stone to rub the burs of the outside of the edge. wipe the oil off and your done. At one point I was doing about 1/3 of my teams skates before games. It came with a video tape that walked you thru it but that was many years ago.