HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Abby

Old
11-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Bryzga lol*

vCash: 500
Abby

Doesn't matter if the goals weren't his fault or not. He had a chance to prove himself against a weak team and blew a 3 game winning streak.

Thoughts? Do you think Montreal's defence played worse because Huet wasn't in nets?

Last edited by Bryzga lol*: 11-25-2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Huet has been the better player for two years now, it seems he's distanced himself really well. Aebischer will give you some good goaltending, but you can see a significant difference between the two. On most goals, he was flopping around on the ice, Huet brings calm and consistent goaltending.

That said, a few plays destroyed the team, namely being out of position on every goal and the worst of all, Ryder making the worst possible play, at the worst possible time. I was a big supporter of his, but after a good start, I'd say his play has been below Samsonov's. His decision making is becoming worst and worst.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:39 PM
turnbuckle*

I'm not really sure what he was doing on his hands and knees on the last one...was in pretty silly positions on a couple of others as well.

At least Aebisscher has experince playing sporadically (when he backed up Roy). I'd suspect that will be his role until season's end.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
The first two goals were his fault.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I think he played quite well tonight all things considered

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I'm not really sure what he was doing on his hands and knees on the last one...was in pretty silly positions on a couple of others as well.

At least Aebisscher has experince playing sporadically (when he backed up Roy). I'd suspect that will be his role until season's end.
He didnt expect Souray to COUGH it up like he did

Old
11-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Bryzga lol*

I agree about the flopping around. Huet might go down on his knees alot, leaving the top corners open, but he has quick arms to make up for it.

Abby seems to flop around too much. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's all about confidence. We've all witnessed Abby lose his confidence (in Montreal and Colorado), but Huet hasn't lost it in a Habs jersey (didn't follow him enough prior to his montreal days to comment on him). Nerves of steel are underated and we'll be talking about Christobal all season long if he can keep it up.

Old
11-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Toro

Well....I was hoping to have abby till the trade deadline but im ready to deal him now and promote Danis to backup Huet.

I know i know, im not overreacting. Abby is UFA at the end of the yr. We traded a #1 goalie for him so we need to get some value for him since he is really not needed as much as a top center. So trade abby and niinimma seperately or together and whatever else neccessary(pics maybe ryder) ppl we have lots of(wingers). We need another top center so pleks can go and excel at the 4th line. We need someone to center Kovalev and samsonov. Pleks is ok but not a top center. maye in time but not this yr.

we need to have better 2nd periods and we need to ride huet till he gets tired. We need Huet our #1 in the nets....if other goalies can do it Huet can too.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:49 PM
True_Canadiens

Cya Aebi!
HUET HUET HUET!!!

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Tricolore#20

Compared to the start of the season, Aebischer was horrible tonight. He was on his stomach several times during the game, and Yvon Pednault was correct in questioning his technique. I'm not sure whether that is a sign of a lack of confidence, or whether that's just bad technique that he has developed over the years, but it was definitely exposed tonight.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:54 PM
DieHardHabs

wasn't abby's fault.. i agree trade him... nagy was a healthy scratch tonite!! hmmm... yea but i didnt think he played bad at all... maybe with huet in .. goals 2 and 4 would not have happened.... but i still dont think it was his fault....a brutal second period...and ryder needs to learn to settle that puck.. he takes way too long to wind up.. thats not what the pp is all about .. its hockey smarts with the puck ..and he has none.. none!

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:56 PM
maniac

we probably didnt play our best in front of him but its 3rd game in 4 nights and 2nd game in less than 24hrs players are tired yet still started out strong and abby let the guys down on the first 2 goals was out of position and really looked like he wasnt confortable at all

hes lost the confidence he had earlier in the season

he is def not making the key saves to keep us in the game and give us a chance to win

maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I think I found where Aebischer learned his technique

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Bryzga lol*

I've been wanting to make a thred about Abby for a long time, and I think this is the perfect time. He is a good goalie when he's on his game......BUT when he's not, he's not a starting goalie. I tried to stay neutral at the start of the season when both goalies were even, but Huet just had something special about his play...I'm a goalie myself, and you can tell something is differant about him unlike Abby.

I hate bashing Abby, because he's shown a lot of class by not causing goaltending controversy with Huet. But he's not a number 1 goaltender. He was given the job in Colorado when Roy retired and never put a solid lock on the position, giving Budaj. Sauvé and even Kolshnik a chance at the number 1 job.

Montreal has two choices. They can trade Abby to a goalie hungry team for whatever they can get.....or they can convince David to settle into the backup position, which is where I think he really belongs. It's sad because he has that competitive attitude and desire.

Old
11-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Mikhail Grabovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
I've been wanting to make a thred about Abby for a long time, and I think this is the perfect time. He is a good goalie when he's on his game......BUT when he's not, he's not a starting goalie. I tried to stay neutral at the start of the season when both goalies were even, but Huet just had something special about his play...I'm a goalie myself, and you can tell something is differant about him unlike Abby.

I hate bashing Abby, because he's shown a lot of class by not causing goaltending controversy with Huet. But he's not a number 1 goaltender. He was given the job in Colorado when Roy retired and never put a solid lock on the position, giving Budaj. Sauvé and even Kolshnik a chance at the number 1 job.

Montreal has two choices. They can trade Abby to a goalie hungry team for whatever they can get.....or they can convince David to settle into the backup position, which is where I think he really belongs. It's sad because he has that competitive attitude and desire.
Think about this ..who does Abby remind you of ? Not technique wise but his game in general.
Yep you got it Theo. Makes some awsome saves but will let in a softie because of being out of position. If an other team is willing to take him off our books then all be it, lets see what Danis can do as a real part time goalie. We will live and die with Huet.

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 09:13 PM
jazzyreg

Send a message via AIM to jazzyreg Send a message via MSN to jazzyreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
or they can convince David to settle into the backup position, which is where I think he really belongs. It's sad because he has that competitive attitude and desire.
Sadly, I think his contract amount is too high to play as a back up. I feel like the Habs are trying to get their money's worth on this guy. And if they just keep giving him chance after chance, they are hurting Huet in the long term too. If Huet keeps playing the way he is now, he could easily contend for the Vezina but not if he's having to equally share time with a goaltender the Habs feel they owe something to for the sake of dollars.

At this point in time, I think it's best for them to trade him where he will be paid the amount he's worth to to a team who could at least use him in a bigger capacity and let us use that money for something or someone else who's worth it to OUR team. In a generation of the NHL where every dollar counts, Aebischer is only proving to be extra baggage.

jazzyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

If everybody thinks that the Habs lost this game because of Abby then they were watching a different game than I saw.... The Habs inability to score more than one goal in the first when they had tons of chances and the play of the Flyers goalie had alot to do with the outcome tonight. The Habs forgot how to skate in the second and then tried their famous comeback in the third. You can only go to the well so often.... The Habs need to play 60 mins of hockey and they will be fine

Old
11-25-2006, 09:15 PM
MM425

While I still think he is a talented goalie... he has flaws in his game that can be exploited quite badly... like tonight.

Right now you have to go with the technically soild Huet as your number 1 guy and have Abby spell him when needed.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2006, 09:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail Grabovsky View Post
Think about this ..who does Abby remind you of ? Not technique wise but his game in general.
Yep you got it Theo.
Uh, no. I didn't get that at all.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
If everybody thinks that the Habs lost this game because of Abby then they were watching a different game than I saw....
The habs certainly didn't deserve to win at all. But I think he definetly had a chance to steal this game, like Huet has done quite a few times this season.

Old
11-26-2006, 12:05 PM
habs86

vCash: 265
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
hate to say it, but i think huet is our #1 and abby may be dealt soon. abby is a great tender but as long as huet is here he will not be the #1.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2006, 12:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I thought Abby played better last night then he had the the past two games. I've never been a big fan of his style but I thought he kept in us in the game for the most part. He made some really good saves, our defensive zone coverage was more at fault imo. Yes he should have stopped at least one of them imo but the team had a tough night in the defensive zone.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote