HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Fred Shero

Old
11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Fred Shero

Good article by Larry Brooks today regarding the omission of Shero from the Hall.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11262006...oks.htm?page=2

Ignore the sentence regarding Mark Howe and Kevin Lowe.

Won an AHL Championship
Won a CHL Championship
Two Stanley Cups + two other finals appearances.

.622 win % in the NHL

Coached 9 years in the NHL, and made it to the semi's or better in all but his first and last year.

Won coach of the year in the CHL, AHL and NHL.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

I believe that his record speaks for itself and I am actually suprised he is not in the hall - although I strongly believe that he won't make the hall just due to the fact that the NHL is to this day still trying to live down the impact of teams such as the Flyers on the game and the use of the goon factor. Be it right or be it wrong that is just the way that I view the situation.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
MS

Absolutely Shero should be in the HHOF - clearly a better, more sucessful coach than several guys in there. I was another person who simply assumed he was already in until a year or two ago.

Since he's mentioned in the article, the builder inductee who really bothers me is Craig Patrick. One of the cheapest inductions ever. If he built his cup-winning team over a decade-long period of shrewd management (like Sather, or even a guy like Cliff Fletcher in Calgary) then yes he deserves to be in. But Patrick was hired the year before Pittsburgh won the Cup. Most of the pieces, including the best player in the game, were in place already. He made a great trade to aquire Francis and Samuelsson. But is one great trade and otherwise being in the right place at the right time HHOF-worthy? And his record after the two Cups was mediocre, and that's being generous.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Elvi View Post
I believe that his record speaks for itself and I am actually suprised he is not in the hall - although I strongly believe that he won't make the hall just due to the fact that the NHL is to this day still trying to live down the impact of teams such as the Flyers on the game and the use of the goon factor. Be it right or be it wrong that is just the way that I view the situation.
That's exactly it. One of the top coaches ever, but, Bettman and many others are ashamed of him.

Which is BS IMO. If Cleghorn is in the hall of fame, there's room for Shero.

11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Absolutely Shero should be in the HHOF - clearly a better, more sucessful coach than several guys in there. I was another person who simply assumed he was already in until a year or two ago.

Since he's mentioned in the article, the builder inductee who really bothers me is Craig Patrick. One of the cheapest inductions ever. If he built his cup-winning team over a decade-long period of shrewd management (like Sather, or even a guy like Cliff Fletcher in Calgary) then yes he deserves to be in. But Patrick was hired the year before Pittsburgh won the Cup. Most of the pieces, including the best player in the game, were in place already. He made a great trade to aquire Francis and Samuelsson. But is one great trade and otherwise being in the right place at the right time HHOF-worthy? And his record after the two Cups was mediocre, and that's being generous.
I agree with everything you said about Shero. He absolutely should be there, and I think Elvi is accurate with his reasoning that Shero isn't there. A lot of people who accomplished a lot less are in there ahead of Shero. Any other non-active with two rings, two final appearances, and three more trips to the conference final who aren't in the HHOF? Relatively short time in the NHL, but a great peak. An excellent motivator, too, who preached a team-first philosophy.

But Patrick wasn't just handed a Cup champ. Yes, Lemieux, Stevens, Recchi, Coffey and Barasso were there already. Obviously the acquisition of Francis and Ulf Samuelsson was the trade that defined his career. But he also got Joe Mullen for a second round pick. (I believe Mullen wanted out of Calgary, or Calgary was trying to shop him, so if you want to asterisk that one, feel free, because Calgary wasn't going to get market value). He drafted Jaromir Jagr. When Jagr was having a terrible time adjusting to life in North America, Patrick traded for Jiri Hrdina, which might seem like a minor move, but ask Jagr how important it was. He signed Bryan Trottier as a free agent - giving the Pens some much-needed defensive presence, leadership and experience. And he dealt Jim Johnson and Chris Dahlquist for Larry Murphy - a critical component of both championships.

He also made a very gutsy move in 1992 when he traded Coffey and Recchi to acquire Tocchet and Kjell Samuelsson. When that trade was made, Pittsburgh was battling the Islanders for fourth in the Patrick. It was the shake-up the team needed.

He also hired Bob Johnson as coach and Scotty Bowman as director of player personnel.

Now, I don't think it would be out of line to question his moves following the 1992 championship. But for two years, the guy had the Midas touch. Does it help that he's part of the Patrick hockey family? Probably. But he did a lot more work than one might think in piecing together those great Pens teams of the early 1990s.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote