HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller hockey tips, please?

Old
11-27-2006, 03:51 AM
12 oz Papa*

vCash: 500
Roller hockey tips, please?

Hello everyone, first time posting in this forum.

I've been roller blading since I was 6 and playing roller hockey since then as well. I played in a league when I was about 10 and again when I was a Junior in high school for my high school team.

I usually play defense due to my lack of offensive talent, heh. Anyway, my brother, who is 24 (I'm 19) has been playing longer than me obviously, he's taller, stronger, better, etc. I have better speed and quicker stick handling. Anyway, we were playing with 4 of my buddies the other day at an outdoor rink and I got very competitive and sick of being beat one-on-one by him. In the two leagues I've played in, I rarely got beat one-on-one by people because I'm good at hitting or at least stopping players. With him, I can't do that or he gets all pissed off. So, I have to use my stick more, which never works because he just out skates me and does a fancy move around me.

So, apart from sibling rivalry, I'd love to hear some tips on how to stop a fancy player who's got great hands and ways to get around people. When I play physical with him, I am the better player, but I can't or it ruins the mood of the "for fun" game. I also want to get better at using my stick on defense since I'll be joining my first adult league soon I believe and want to be ready.

Sorry this is so long, I'm just sick of my brother putting me down about how bad I am and stuff, and I want to get better since I love playing so much.

Thanks everyone, and sorry again for making such a long, babble-filled post.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:30 AM
dabeechman

A guy is only go around you or through you. Typically in hockey the better plays try to go through you so focus more on how much weight you put on your skates so when he trys to put the puck between your legs you can stop the pass with your skate.

This is considering if you arent playing physical. If you are playing physical its simple, just dont look at the puck

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 04:43 AM
12 oz Papa*

He never beats me between the skates. He always just dekes me out of my socks. When playing physical, I just keep eye contact or look at their chest. Seems to work 99% of the time. I just need help with my stick work.

Old
11-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Happy Pony

A few tips:

Instead of holding your stick out to the side or straight in front of you try keeping it somewhere in between there (think a 45 degree angle), and move it from side to side. Also try holding your top hand closer to your body.

If you are holding your stick straight out in front of you or straight to the side then he knows how far he has to go around you. If you disguise how much reach you have you should be able to get him with a well timed poke check as he tries to go around. Same thing with holding the stick closer, gives him an illusion of shorter distance.

I usually do both of these with only my top hand on the stick and my bottom hand free. Keep looking at the chest/hips. Eyes can be deceiving, as can the puck and hands. The core is going to tell you where he is going, also good spacing is key. Close enough that you can step up if he goes to shoot and far enough back he can't just blow by you.

Keep playing the body, you don't have to hit him, just tie him up so he can't make a move or take a shot. If he complains about it tell him to suck it up, this is hockey not figure skating.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Best advice I can think of is be patient (don't always buy into a skilled players first move) and instead of trying to poke the puck off their stick, just take a swipe at their stick while they are controlling the puck. I don't mean slash it, but sweep your stick blade along the ground quite quickly (one handed or two handed) and just look to make contact with their stick. If you knock the puck loose and get control, thats great. But even if you only strike their stick, you can knock the puck off the end of their blade. For all the skill a player can have, they can't use it if they don't have the puck on the blade of their stick. They might beat you or a teammate to the loose puck, but you will have stopped their attempt and forced them to try something different which allows yourself and your teammates time to reset yourselves. And if you can do this successfully on a few occassions in a row, you can get in their head a little bit and maybe get them to change their approach.

You mentioned you have better speed, but how is your agility? If you can stay with someone, let them have the first move, maybe even show them a little room to one side or another and then close the gap a little. Don't give them some room and then try and make one all or nothing play to get the puck as a skilled player will look to find a way to beat you once you are fully committed to making your move. Thats when you will be out of position and the other player will be clean past you. Instead, give them the room and let them make a move and react calmly to it. Close the gap a little, reach your stick out a little further and see if they try and change direction or keep going. Maybe even try baiting them into making a move by dropping a shoulder as if you are going to dive in to get the puck but stand your ground. A skilled player looks to make you commit to doing something and then uses their skills to get around your move and gain the advantage. Try and close them down gradually. Keep your position, slow down a little while going backwards so their pace closes the gap between you instead of you slowing down quickly, which will affect your balence and your ability to get back up to speed (if you do that, of course). As long as you keep your body position you will be in a better position to knock the puck loose or tie their stick up and it'll make it harder for them to beat you cleanly one on one.

Personally, I prefer to play as a forward but due to low turnout at training sessions, I have played a fair bit on defence the past few months. I'm not a big guy and I'm certainly not that strong so playing a physical game isn't really an option for me. So when playing D, I rely on positioning, using my stick and my footwork (which is sometimes good, sometimes hopeless). There are some good stick handlers on my team amongst the few players we have and if they are committed to going by me, with some regularity I can either:
- knock the puck loose off their stick and force them to change their approach
- tie up their stick and steal the puck off them
- force them to make a play around me by just keeping my position and not diving in. If I stop them getting by me, they can make a pass around me or shoot the puck and as long as my teammates are doing their job, it won't matter. One guy on the team in particular has very fast hands. He doesn't pull big moves but he just moves the puck SO quickly. He always waits until someone goes in for the puck and once they do, he has them beat. I can stop him most of the time if I just stay between him and the net and close the gap between us. If I can get him to turn to one side when changing direction, thats when I get right up close to him and try and force him back. Then he can't turn me quickly as I have position on him and he can't go through me. So he either has to skate round with it, which is fine by me, pass it, or turn around and go back and start again. Took a bit of practice and I still get it wrong every now and again, but it works well enough as far as I'm concerned.

I hope theres some useful info for you there.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:43 AM
12 oz Papa*

Thanks everyone for presenting some options for me. I'm quicker on my skates than him as well, so maybe I'll try to use that to my advantage. In a league, I can use my body, not level someone, but at least bump them off. But in a outdoor pick up game? Nah. I think what my problem has been is committing too soon and not skating enough. I'm so used to making a move for a hit, or a block, I'm not used to constantly keeping my feet working quickly. I've been using the "quick poke-check" idea, or the big swipe type of thing, but all it does is let him push up on me while my stick is moving. I think I need to be more controlled maybe?

Thanks again to everyone, it means a lot. Any other advice in general?

Old
11-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Thanks again to everyone, it means a lot. Any other advice in general?
Yep, if you can force him to make a move and use your body to seperate him and the puck, pretend that you have lost an egde with one foot and just lay the blade of your skate flat (like a t stop but in front of him) and trail your leg behind you briefly and let him skate into your wheels. With some practice, you can make it look just like an accident where you got a stride wrong and put the following player on their rear. Although thats only to be used when you want to annoy someone or get them back (plus you have to move your leg out the way before they fall on it) but it can be useful

Don't imagine your brother will like that though

Only other thing I can think of is to have guys practice trying to burn you round the outside and instead of stepping into them or pokechecking them, develop your timing so you turn with their movement, not before them (which allows them room to the inside) and not after them (which obviously allows them past you). You may already have this sorted but its something I've been working on with the youngsters on my team to improve their chances of not getting torched one on one.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 07:18 AM
12 oz Papa*

Thanks again Qui Gon Dave. Good stufff, I'll try working on some of those things.

One question, during my time with my high school team, I had a lot of "open-ice" hits which I never got a penalty for nor ever warned for. My coach said I hit like an ice hockey player. Then one game, I go back after a hit to the bench and my captain tells me I'm hitting illegally and being dirty since my feet aren't always moving. But how can I hit a guy coming straight at me if I'm skating backwards? I have to push up on him and stop him, which stops me. My question is, is that illegal in roller hockey? Like I said, my coach loved it, and not once got talked to by refs or anything?

Old
11-27-2006, 10:25 AM
VisionQuest*

I didnt read anything above, Ill just add this.
Eyes in the sternum, close the gap, lay him out. That's it.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest* View Post
I didnt read anything above, Ill just add this.
Eyes in the sternum, close the gap, lay him out. That's it.
Maybe you should have read above because he isn't allowed to hit.

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post
Maybe you should have seen that this thread is 2+ years old.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
The Russian Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Maybe you should have seen that this thread is 2+ years old.
It is?

The Russian Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post
Been waiting for a good chance to use this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThreadNecromancer.jpg‎ (29.3 KB, 22 views)

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
pcgflyers12*

screw not hitting him. just slam him. lol and yea this is kinda old.

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcgflyers12 View Post
screw not hitting him. just slam him. lol and yea this is kinda old.
Kinda old? it's 2 friggin years old! Any advice you give is nowhere near useful anymore.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2009, 10:21 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Don't worry about the puck, just focus on body. He can move the puck alot faster than he can move himself. If he can't get past you, then he can't do anything with the puck.

Don't bite, be patient.

I'm not the quickest on my feet, but I find I can shutdown a guy by tying up the stick. If he can't handle the puck, again he can't do anything.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote