HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils can't afford to take 7 penalties against the Stars

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Devils can't afford to take 7 penalties against the Stars

They had 3 power play goals in one game the other night and can make you pay dearly for not playing disciplined hockey. Hope this team tightens up and stays out of the box for their next game.

Old
11-27-2003, 07:39 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
They had 3 power play goals in one game the other night and can make you pay dearly for not playing disciplined hockey. Hope this team tightens up and stays out of the box for their next game.
The Devils can't afford to take 7 penalties vs. any team period. You're just asking for trouble, especially with an offensively challenged team

Old
11-28-2003, 03:35 AM
David Puddy

vCash: 500
I find the point of this thread sort of useless. I understand the boredom that may have set in with some of you with Thanksgiving here in the U.S.

The Devils are the second least penalized team in the NHL (either from total SH or from average SH per game.) They are also 2nd in the league in the penalty kill. The team was also the least penalized team last season. They were also the second-least penalized team in 2001-2002.

Therefore, it is fairly pointless for anyone to have some great concern about the Devils taking penalties at this point. One game does not a trend make.

Now let us look at the assertion that the Devils are "offensively challenged," that is utterly asinine. They are ranked 11th in GFA. They were ranked 14th of the 30 teams last season.

The Devils are also usually in the lead. They have scored the 1st goal in 16 of 20 their games this year. Because of that fact, they do not have to throw their defensemen into the plays all willy-nilly.

I should also point out that they scored enough to become Stanley Cup Champions last season.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:33 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Therefore, it is fairly pointless for anyone to have some great concern about the Devils taking penalties at this point. One game does not a trend make.
Seven penalties including a last-two-minutes one where the ensuing powerplay took away the lead and led to overtime.

Six penalties the game before.

Five penalties including a last-two-minutes one where the powerplay took away the lead and led to overtime the game before.

Six penalties the game before that one. Eight the one before.

32 penalties in five games, including two that led to tying goals in the last two minutes of regulation? It *is* a trend. It *is* cause for concern. It's hopefully a short-term trend. But it's not a one-game aberration.

Old
11-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Seven penalties including a last-two-minutes one where the ensuing powerplay took away the lead and led to overtime.

Six penalties the game before.

Five penalties including a last-two-minutes one where the powerplay took away the lead and led to overtime the game before.

Six penalties the game before that one. Eight the one before.

32 penalties in five games, including two that led to tying goals in the last two minutes of regulation? It *is* a trend. It *is* cause for concern. It's hopefully a short-term trend. But it's not a one-game aberration.
Thats just it. Its a slightly alarming if not uncharacteristic trend for the Devils and one worth mentioning as the Stars have been finally putting things together after really underachieving. I'm a lot more concerned with the likes of Modano, Guerin, Arnott, Zubov, Morrow, and Numminen then I was with the top PP guys in LA and Anaheim. Time to get back to basics. The penalty Rasmussen took was one I hope we don't see from him or anyone in the near future. Bottom line is the unbeaten streak will be in greater jeapordy if they play as wreckless as they have on this west coast trip. Even Langs and White almost gave Anaheim a gift wrapped goal with some mental gaffs at even strength and Langenbrunner is one of the teams best two way players.

Last edited by Unthinkable: 11-28-2003 at 09:36 AM.

Old
11-28-2003, 12:31 PM
Tbg1515

Quote:
Its not always easy to stay out of the box when the refs are ganging up on you

Example: Scott Niedermeyers, penalty against Anaheim that was total bull****......Or even Stevensons penalty, for elbowing, maybe those refs should watch the Giants-Bucs game monday nite that hit on Amani Toomer, was a cheapshot......

Old
11-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbg1515
Its not always easy to stay out of the box when the refs are ganging up on you

Example: Scott Niedermeyers, penalty against Anaheim that was total bull****......Or even Stevensons penalty, for elbowing, maybe those refs should watch the Giants-Bucs game monday nite that hit on Amani Toomer, was a cheapshot......
I didn't like the hit on Stevens' head from a Ducks player which was high and looked like a definate elbow to me. Had to wonder if it was leftover resentment from the Kariya hit or just coincidental.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:45 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
Quote:
I didn't like the hit on Stevens' head from a Ducks player which was high and looked like a definate elbow to me. Had to wonder if it was leftover resentment from the Kariya hit or just coincidental.
It's interesting no one mentioned it eh? When Stevens' "seems" to do it (we know better - his hits are clean), everyone crys murder.

Old
11-28-2003, 02:13 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
I will take my 100-game trend before I will take your 4-game "trend." Wouldn't you?

The Devils have killed 21 of their 23 (91.3%) short-handed situations over the last four games. Also, what is the team's record over that period? I will tell you. It is 3-0-1-0. I would take those numbers, all of them, anytime. Wouldn't you?

Things must be going really well in the world if you dig that deeply to find something to complain about. I fear what will be posted when the Devils undefeated streak comes to an end.

A team is going to have its hot-streaks and cold-streaks.
Marc Andre Fluery played a brilliant game because he was playing against his idol. Because of that, the Penguins sent the game into overtime. The Ducks played an intense game. They were really swarming all night. I think they were playing for something a little more than usual.

During the 2002-03 season, there were probably posts about the Devils power play being so ineffective. Well the team was good enough to get the 2-seed in the Eastern Conference and win the Stanley Cup.

Old
11-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
I don't think anyone is complaining or blind to the way this team usually avoids the penalty box. People just want to see the streak continue and the thread was created pointing out a weakness which could be a legitimate issue in this game. Killing penalties time after time whether they are deserved or not really tires out the teams best players. They play again on Sunday against a tough Avs team. The road doesn't get any easier after tonight.

Closed Thread