HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

terry O’Reilly

Old
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Bo Knows Hockey

vCash: 500
terry O’Reilly

Can someone tell me if terry O'Reilly ever challenge the opposing team bench to a fight. If he has when was it and what team.

Thank You ....Boston oldtimehockey

Bo Knows Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 08:46 AM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston oldtimehockey View Post
Can someone tell me if terry O'Reilly ever challenge the opposing team bench to a fight. If he has when was it and what team
No, that was John Wensink (also on the Bruins) and the team was the Minnesota Northstars. This was as Wensink was going off the ice after a fight. O'Reilly was also in a fight at the same time but it was Wensink who approached the Northstars bench and gestured for them to "c'mon". He then waved at them in disgust as he left the ice when there were no takers. It was in the late 70's I have it on DVD.

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Bo Knows Hockey

I thank you very much ..... MeanTedGreen

P S ....What is the name of the dvd ,I would like to have one.

Last edited by Bo Knows Hockey: 11-28-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Bo Knows Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 02:10 PM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston oldtimehockey View Post
I thank you very much ..... MeanTedGreen

P S ....What is the name of the dvd ,I would like to have one.
http://www.hdhockey.tv/

click on "Team fight DVD's"

then type in Boston Bruins under "teams"

then choose "1969-80 Bruins Fights"

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Snap Wilson

O'Reilly was a mother****er. I have a hard time rooting for any Bruin, especially one that was such a ****-starter, but man, he was great. He left all he had out on the ice. I'd take twenty players with his stones, any day of the week.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
raleh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-t0T6tFk82c

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:09 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
O'Reilly was a mother****er. I have a hard time rooting for any Bruin, especially one that was such a ****-starter, but man, he was great. He left all he had out on the ice. I'd take twenty players with his stones, any day of the week.
I don't know if I'd word it quite that way, moneyp, but I do agree. A double-tough player who wasn't out of place on a scoring line. He can play on my team any day.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I saw Mark Hunter challenge the whole Bruin bench in the last regular season game of the 1984 season. The Habs won 10 fights that night, including Walter body slamming O'Reilly. It's the first time I ever saw a Habs team completely dominate a Bruins team in the physical department. It's no wonder a 75 point Habs team was able to sweep a 104 pt Bruin team a few days later.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I saw Mark Hunter challenge the whole Bruin bench in the last regular season game of the 1984 season. The Habs won 10 fights that night, including Walter body slamming O'Reilly. It's the first time I ever saw a Habs team completely dominate a Bruins team in the physical department. It's no wonder a 75 point Habs team was able to sweep a 104 pt Bruin team a few days later.
That was a Saturday afternoon game in Boston that was about sending a playoff message. Good thing for Walter that he held him down. If O'Reily got an arm loose,... I remember thinking the B's were hoping for a leisurely end of season game where no one would get hurt and the Habs gooned it up.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Big Phil

Hey they didnt call this guy the Tazmanian Devil for nothing. He fought as insane as anyone that has ever played the game. O'Reilly was along with guys like Cashman and Jonathan who you'd have to say never really lost a fight. And if they did they never got cleaned out by a lage margin

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 07:05 PM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
The current bruins would love to have just one with half his heart and deterimination.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
I think the vision of him tossing that puck up to me and spaz gave you a little tear in the eye, moneyp.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB-King of Donair View Post
I think the vision of him tossing that puck up to me and spaz gave you a little tear in the eye, moneyp.
No, not really, but the idea of you waiting around to make him eat it is a good one. Did spaz hang around with you or was he still in a funk over the Gainey incident?

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 968
Quote:
No, not really, but the idea of you waiting around to make him eat it is a good one. Did spaz hang around with you or was he still in a funk over the Gainey incident?
The O'Reilly puck incident came during warmups of the l'affaire Gainey game. Maybe things would have panned out better for Spaz if I'd offered him the puck.

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
The Habs had a tough team that year. Chris Nilan was there wasnt he?

1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 12:27 AM
KentNilsson87

re

'Hall of Famer' Clark Gillies literally beating the living snot out of Terry O'Reilly ..in 3 separate fights on their way to the first of four Cups for the Islanders.

KentNilsson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 05:23 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I also thought O'Reilly was overrated (Don Cherry could have nothing to do with this could he?). He was a heart and soul player but I called him kind of slow footed, and his goal scoring talents were overrated. Like somebody said his fighting was overrated also....Walter, Gillies, Don Maloney are among a few who clobbered him

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2007, 06:18 PM
hockey-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Hey they didnt call this guy the Tazmanian Devil for nothing. He fought as insane as anyone that has ever played the game. O'Reilly was along with guys like Cashman and Jonathan who you'd have to say never really lost a fight. And if they did they never got cleaned out by a lage margin
I like O'Reilly, but I seem to remember him clearly losing a few battles with Clark Gillies during a playoff series. Jonathan was really something - not sure I ever saw him lose.

hockey-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-fan View Post
I like O'Reilly, but I seem to remember him clearly losing a few battles with Clark Gillies during a playoff series. Jonathan was really something - not sure I ever saw him lose.
O'Reilly was one of the greatest Bruins of all time...for his heart and making the most of hardly any talent to start with. I remember watching him in the early 70's with the Boston Braves. Terry could barely skate but always made an impact.

Now Jonathan....pound for pound and inch for inch....was the toughest I have ever seen. When he fought, he looked to end the guy's career.

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 03:23 PM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
O'Reilly was one of the greatest Bruins of all time...for his heart and making the most of hardly any talent to start with. I remember watching him in the early 70's with the Boston Braves. Terry could barely skate but always made an impact.

Now Jonathan....pound for pound and inch for inch....was the toughest I have ever seen. When he fought, he looked to end the guy's career.
And in the case of Pierre Bouchard, Jonathan appears to have succeeded.

As for O'Reilly, he didn't win all of his fights -- but then, any enforcer who fights on a regular basis is going to lose some bouts (as even Bob Probert occasionally did). There were enforcers who were bigger and stronger, especially late in O'Reilly's career. But his sheeer ferocity and determination were something to behold.

PurpleShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShamrock View Post
And in the case of Pierre Bouchard, Jonathan appears to have succeeded.
Bouchard didn't give Jonathan respect and paid for it big time. He was overconfident.

Also, Jonathan the dirty little schit he was, kept his helmut on. Anybody who knew the fighter code back then knew if you fought a helmetless player, you don't keep your helmet on and you don't punch a guy when he is laying on the ice. It's the equivalent of a so called tough guy having a visor on nowadays.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 01-08-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old
01-08-2007, 03:32 PM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
As I recall, the Habs also got a shot in the arm from a rookie goalie named Steve Penney, who came in and simply played over his head (though he didn't have much of a career after the fact, if I remember correctly). Neverhteless, to this very day it still stupefies me that the Habs managed to pull off that upset. As a Bruins fan, I must say that the Habs made life exceedingly frustrating from 1984 through 1987. But it did make 1988 that much sweeter.

Old
01-08-2007, 03:34 PM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
Bouchard didn't give Jonathan respect and paid for it big time. He was overconfident.
His mistake for sure. At 5' 8", Jonathan wasn't exactly an imposing figure, but the guy was a bona-fide pit bull.

Old
01-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleShamrock View Post
As I recall, the Habs also got a shot in the arm from a rookie goalie named Steve Penney, who came in and simply played over his head (though he didn't have much of a career after the fact, if I remember correctly).
Penney, the John Druce and Chris Kontos of goalies.

Old
01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
PurpleShamrock

Quote:
Penney, the John Druce and Chris Kontos of goalies.
We had our own flash in the pan in Blaine Lacher, who played over his head in the lockout-shortened season in 1995. But then he remembered who he was, and during the following season he looked completely overmatched by NHL-caliber shooters. Not a pretty picture...