HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Check this out Renney

Old
12-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Check this out Renney

A Swedish coach in SEL with some guts.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport/...948366,00.html

The new victim of Boork
The veteran in Brynäs a healthy scratch after making a defensive marking mistake: There are too few benchings in this league.

After the game Molin was depressed in the locker room and did openly express his disappointment over his own game. This monday, when Brynäs played Skellefteå away, Molin got the order from Leif Boork to stay at home.
- Yes, that's correct. Molin got some rest because he has been involved in two goals lately and that has affected him in a negative way. Sometimes it can be good to rest and get some distance to what has happened those times. Like when you are benched a couple of changes during a game when everything isn't working as it should with your game, says Leif Boork.

There's too few benchings
Has he commented his healthy scratch to you?
- I haven't spoken to him about that yet, but I think he is a little bit thoughtful. Regardless if you are 20 years old or 35 it is all about performing.
Is it a good method to bench players as often as you do?
- It depends on the situation. To be an elite player is to put yourself on a level of competition that leads to too few benchings/scratches. My view is it should be done on the same terms regardless which player it is. Most oftenly us coaches use this possibility too seldom and wait too long to do it.
You don't think it's a little bit extra hard to sit when you are the most experienced player in the entire history of Brynäs?
- Everybody can sit. It is a part of the elite players normal day, it is nothing spectacular or special regardless if it is Ove Molin or somebody else. You can't play just because you have played every other game.
What do you think of Molins season this far?
- It has been a little up and down for the whole team. But as a whole he has done his job.
Does Molin play against Frölunda on thursday.
- I don't know that, we will see after practice this wednesday what is going to happen. We have 15 forwards on the roster right now. So the competition is intense.

--
My own thoughts:

Even though Renney scratched Kaspar because he think he underperformed, I think he could have been scratching/benching Rozsi/Malik/Ozo sometimes during this season when they have cost us points. The scramble seems to have finally been started, but I think it could have started a little bit earlier and he could have at least benched Malik for a couple of shifts during his worst period.

A healthy scratch is not so bad as it sounds according to me. I think it's to help the player as much as it is to help the team if the coach is diplomatic enough and has a constant conversation with the players. Often, when a player has been injured, they get a boost in their game and performs very well, because then you have been sitting down and getting some perspective about everything. I sincerely hope and think this has been the case to Kaspar. His time as a healthy scratch, if Renney has spoken to him about and handled it right, can be exactly the right thing to get his back on his game.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 12-06-2006 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Cut an paste an entire article.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:28 AM
MrAlfie

dont get me wrong, i think renney needs to bench some guys, but boork seems to be some kind of egomaniac and looks like he just wanted to be in the spotlight for once.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:39 AM
shoothepuck

It send the message, that mistakes won't be tolerated. This team has shown inconsistancy all year, and no accountablity whatsoever. A good benching will keep them on their toes.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
dont get me wrong, i think renney needs to bench some guys, but boork seems to be some kind of egomaniac and looks like he just wanted to be in the spotlight for once.
Boork is not an egomaniac, he just wants his team to perform well and unlike Renney he does not use favoritism.

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:45 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
Boork is not an egomaniac, he just wants his team to perform well and unlike Renney he does not use favoritism.
to be honest, i dont know boork because i barely watch the sel.
maybe you are right, but this whole thing looks to me like its an egomaniac tryin to get some showtime.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

If you recall last year Renney sat Nylander a game.

I think Renney sits guys on occasion and talks about accountability up and down, but those words seem to fall on deaf ears when you talk about the defense.

No one seems to sit on the backline unless they screw up too much over a span of 16 games straight (ie, Ozo)

But Renneys problem here isnt sitting people, its putting out the correct lineup to begin with.

And then it goes deeper than that with Sather and the organ-eye-zation's willingness to play the youth and who they sign which prevents them to do so.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Chimp

I think it's very important a coach says and proves he does not favorize players just because they have the right name, the right experience or the right salary. As Boork says, it doesn't matter if a player has played every game, that should not be a guarantee that he will play the next game as well. It's good for the motivation of the players and it is good for the team. You can't slack off a single game or not even a single shift. If you do not give 100%, you sit, because the guy next to you will. It doesn't matter if you make mistakes because you lack the motivation or is tired, sitting you will make you catch your breath and/or get your head back together.

If there is no healthy competition in the lineup, what good does that do to a player? Also, showing the young players that they are equally worth as a veteran if they prove themselves, is a huge moral booster.

How do you think Pöck feels when he is scratched after 2 games and then watching his veteran teammates make mistake after mistake out there that are far worse than was needed to make him a scratch? And still not be given a second chance, when Malik has been given 12 new chances without even as much as a single line change benching. And what message does that give to Malik and the rest of the players?

Granted, Kaspar was scratched and now it seems Ozo and Rachunek will sit, but the mantra is: too seldom, takes too long time.

A coach doesn't need to be like a military officer to his players and shouldn't. It's not about punishment, it's about motivation. A coach can be nice to his players, but he is not their friend, he is their coach and boss, driven by the same goal: to perform well.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-06-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote