HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal - Detroit & Montreal

Old
11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
mvalerio27

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal - Detroit & Montreal

I was talking with my brother who is a huge Red Wings fan, I myself a Canadiens fan, about the following trade and he actually liked the idea!

To Montreal:

Datsyuk - 3,900,000
Osgood - 850,000

To Detroit:

Ryder - 2,200,000
Aebischer - 1,900,000

Detroit free's up some dollars while getting a young 30+ goal scorer & a number 1 goalie who the can sign long term as I do not believe that they will keep Hasek after this year!

As for Montreal, they get the #2 center that they have been looking for as well as a veteran backup goalie with playoff experience!

What do you guys think?

mvalerio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Tusk

I wouldn't trade Ryder for a pending UFA unless he was one too.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:08 AM
GoHabsGO252006

DO ITTTTT

if that's all it takes to get rid of Ryder....I mean to get a good 2nd line center, I would do it.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:12 AM
frederixx

Datsyuk is actually a #1 center... i'd do it without a second thought.

i'd even add a prospect and ask for a 2nd round draft pick

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:12 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I'd do that in a heartbeat

As much as I love Mike, I think he is expendable. And if he scores another 30 this year, he'll be asking for a hefty raise IMO.

Old
11-28-2006, 11:14 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I wouldn't trade Ryder for a pending UFA unless he was one too.
You just dont pass on Datsyuk......

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Because of his stellar playoff performances? Or the fact that he's on pace for a dozen goals and 50 points? His slender frame must be attractive to the Habs too?

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I would...cuz even if he wanted to re-sign here, we wouldn't have the money. Having said that...we might not even have the money to re-sign Ryder (Unless we let go of Souray). Definitely a trade to consider, but I'd rather go for Lang and keep Ryder.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Datsyuk only had a career year last year and will command big money being a UFA only based on that year.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:24 AM
THEREW

Would Detroit do it ?

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Brett38

Yes, from Montreal's point of view.

No, from Detroits point of view. I don't think Aebby is what they want. Even if it is a swap of back-up goalies!

(I do love Ryder though)

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:45 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalerio27 View Post
I was talking with my brother who is a huge Red Wings fan, I myself a Canadiens fan, about the following trade and he actually liked the idea!

To Montreal:

Datsyuk - 3,900,000
Osgood - 850,000

To Detroit:

Ryder - 2,200,000
Aebischer - 1,900,000

Detroit free's up some dollars while getting a young 30+ goal scorer & a number 1 goalie who the can sign long term as I do not believe that they will keep Hasek after this year!

As for Montreal, they get the #2 center that they have been looking for as well as a veteran backup goalie with playoff experience!

What do you guys think?
I would prefer to trade Samsonov & Kovalev to Detroit for Zetterberg and a pick.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

I got this from Spectors yesterday...

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland has grown frustrated with Pavel Datsyuk's agent in recent contract negotiations. Datsyuk is a UFA next summer, is earning $3.9 million this season and while he's been a playoff dud may be seeking $5 million per season in his next contract. Matheson suggests the Wings should trade Datsyuk "for a shooter on the wing" or a centre like Keith Tkachuk to sign this summer. Matheson also reporters there may be some friction with "free agent to be Robert Lang" who could walk as their number two center but feels the club can live without Datsyuk.

Spector's Note: I haven't read or heard very much out of Detroit recently regarding Datsyuk. I'd be interested in the views of Red Wings fans and bloggers on this. It wouldn't be surprising if Datsyuk is asking for the moon as Matheson claims, after all, his contract talks last time around were contentious, even to the point where it appeared Datsyuk would play the season in Russia.

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvalerio27 View Post

To Montreal:

Datsyuk - 3,900,000
Osgood - 850,000

To Detroit:

Ryder - 2,200,000
Aebischer - 1,900,000

What do you guys think?
No way Detroit accepts this...Montreal would have to add a young propect like Plekanec for Detroit to consider this.

I would still be willing to make this trade even with Pleks in the deal. However I would prefer to see Lang rather then Datsyuk as he would cost far less.
B propect and a pick should land Lang and his contract and his experience would be awsome. He would be someone to kick the Samsonov Kovalev line into another gear. Kovalev needs to have someone he respects highly playing C. Not that I think he doesn't respect Plekanec but Pleks is a bit too nervous out there. Lang would bring stabilily and a physical precence

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
felixd

Datsyuk = soft, huge choker, no character. Not the kind of guy that would fit on this team.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:58 AM

Pavel Datsyuk for all the talent in the world he has, is a bad fit in a market like Montreal.

I'd say no...players like Datsyuk get eaten alive in Montreal.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I like Ryder but if we gotta trade him to get Datsyuk here im all in.I doubt Detroit would do that dought.We would have to give up 1 or 2 prospects for sure

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
From Detroit's point of view, this trade makes absolutely no sense.

From a Habs point of view...where do we sign?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:21 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
I got this from Spectors yesterday...

[I]EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland has grown frustrated with Pavel Datsyuk's agent in recent contract negotiations. Datsyuk is a UFA next summer, is earning $3.9 million this season and while he's been a playoff dud may be seeking $5 million per season in his next contract.
Oy, sounds like a headache, no thanks.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

No way. It's like giving Ryder away for nothing, pretty much. We won't be able to afford to re-sign Datsyuk, so all you get from him is his rental time this season, and he pretty much has a track as The Worst playoff performer of all time, so it's hard to argue that we couldn't have found a better rental player if that's what we wanted.

Additionally, I don't like the goalie switch either, nor do I think the Red Wings would. I don't think they have any problems with their current goalies, and they have MacDonald, Howard, and Liv lurking waiting for any opportunity if one of the greybeards goes down. Aebischer does not seem to have a very good reputation in Detroit, they have zero incentive to add his contract "just to balance the cap for us on the rest of the deal". And for that matter, I wouldn't be keen on having Osgood, because next year we'll have Price/Danis/Halak looking for playing time, and Osgood has another year on his contract.

Nossir, if we are going to deal with Detroit, I still like a simple Samsonov-Lang swap best of all. It's already a salary match, they say they need wingers, we say we need a center, and it gets cap room off the books for us in the summer that we can use elsewhere. It might not seem sexy enough on the surface, but I like it better as an overall fit.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
Oy, sounds like a headache, no thanks.
Agreed. Datsyuk is just not worth the hassle, imo. He's already had a couple of acrimonious contract negotiations and his agent is notoriously difficult, or seems to be. Sounds like another Yashin to me. Why stir the pot?

BG and Carbo want players who will feel they belong, who will think of the team first, and are not high maintenance. It's why Ribs and Theodore are elsewhere.

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
ppil

And the new rumor from eklund ( not worth a new tread )

"several teams including the NY Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Montreal Canadiens and San Jose Sharks have been putting together packages for Markus Naslund."

All we can say is that Sourray is a part of that package (imo) but we need to give at least 3M more... so I don't think it will happen

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:12 PM
THEREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
And the new rumor from eklund ( not worth a new tread )

"several teams including the NY Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Montreal Canadiens and San Jose Sharks have been putting together packages for Markus Naslund."

All we can say is that Sourray is a part of that package (imo) but we need to give at least 3M more... so I don't think it will happen
Is he struggling that much ? Why would the Canucks trade their Captain ?

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREW View Post
Is he struggling that much ? Why would the Canucks trade their Captain ?
He is definitely not earning his salary. 18 points in 24 games and earning 6mill? There have been rumours of the Canucks trading him for a very long time, even in the preseason, so this is nothing new. We would almost surely have to include Samsonov for this deal to work IMO because of salaries. Something like Samsonov + Souray works salary wise.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
No way. It's like giving Ryder away for nothing, pretty much. We won't be able to afford to re-sign Datsyuk, so all you get from him is his rental time this season, and he pretty much has a track as The Worst playoff performer of all time, so it's hard to argue that we couldn't have found a better rental player if that's what we wanted.

Additionally, I don't like the goalie switch either, nor do I think the Red Wings would. I don't think they have any problems with their current goalies, and they have MacDonald, Howard, and Liv lurking waiting for any opportunity if one of the greybeards goes down. Aebischer does not seem to have a very good reputation in Detroit, they have zero incentive to add his contract "just to balance the cap for us on the rest of the deal". And for that matter, I wouldn't be keen on having Osgood, because next year we'll have Price/Danis/Halak looking for playing time, and Osgood has another year on his contract.

Nossir, if we are going to deal with Detroit, I still like a simple Samsonov-Lang swap best of all. It's already a salary match, they say they need wingers, we say we need a center, and it gets cap room off the books for us in the summer that we can use elsewhere. It might not seem sexy enough on the surface, but I like it better as an overall fit.
I agree completely...good post.

I would love a Samsonov/Lang swap...I'm hoping it happens since Samsonov has connections to the Detroit area, plus adding a guy like Lang who can score as well as find his linamates would help the Habs, and as you mentionned, he's a UFA at the end of the year.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote