HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

sharing thoughts about Buffalo game (last friday)

Old
11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
LePoche69

vCash: 500
sharing thoughts about Buffalo game (last friday)

Hello,

I was at Buffalo last friday to see the habs' game (and subsequently the Bills game; two games ending in the last second of play -- what a week-end!)

That said, my friends and I were sitting in the third row, around equally to the face-off circle. When it was the D-zone, it was Souray's side. When it was the O-zone, it was Kovalev's side.

I'm using these guys' names because I want to share some observations we had during the game regarding these two.

Souray
Yes he won us the game in OT and yes he's deadly on the PP. Until that game, I was on the bandwagon of keeping him and Markov next year (freeing Rivet if needed) since PP is important in "new" NHL. But I admit now that I changed my mind.
I'm not joking here, neither exagerate : 2 play out of 3, it's Rivet that is telling Souray what to do. He constantly has to yell at him, otherwise, Souray wouldn't even move, even if it's clear the player is his. It was simply amazing and despite the win and the intensity of the game, that is the only think we talked about after the game. We were all stun by that. I didn't think it could exists at the NHL level. Really, if it was not because of Rivet, Souray would almost never move on the ice, always staying close to the net, letting the players do whatever they want in the corner and behind the net, never even chasing a loose puck. It was unbelievable. Moreover, and that is what amazed us the most, we clearly remember 2 plays in the game where Rivet was late on because he was yelling instructions to Souray when the play shift on his side. That leads me to think that Rivet would be something like 30-40% better if he wasn't playing with Souray (I know, these numbers are pretty subjective, but you got my point). Honnestly, it was laughable, and bashing players is not my type. Souray is simply brutal in his own zone, doesn't know what to do when, has a very slow reaction time (or no reaction at all, if not for Rivet yelling at him), and has no hockey sense (at least in his zone).

Kovalev :
The guy's hurt, I don't have any doubt now. He's not floating because he wants to, but because he's in pain when he has to break and start skating the other way. It shows on his face, it shows on his shoulder (he's strangely lowering his shoulder when he tries to re-start skating the other way after breaking, almost on slowmotion, with some funny faces clearly indicating he's trying hard despite the pain). If anything, he shows a great deal of determination and leadership, never quitting even if he knows that he doesn't have any chance of catching the player because of his injury. He was so slow at turning, breaking and getting re-start, and it was so evident on his face that it was painfull that I admit I was impress. That said, maybe he should stop playing a week or two... That's debatable, I guess. But I was impress with his determination.

That's all. The other things I may say probably allready have been said in the GDT...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 02:52 PM
guapo23

interesting post...

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 03:28 PM
The n00b King *

hmmmmmmmmmm

maybe trading Souray would not be such a bad idea after all..

imagine if Souray goes, and all of a sudden Rivet becomes a superstar???

maybe that's why those guys are always together? because Rivet is able to give him instructions?

Markov certainly wouldnt do that, and maybe Komi just cant bother?

Another team (out west) would end up with him and he'd turn into the most horrible Dman they'd have...

That would be interesting...

As for Kovalev, it's been determined that he's playing hurt. It sucks. I wish he would just sit down for a bit and let himself recover...or maybe the injury is so bad that he would miss out on the rest of the season?

Maybe this is why Naslund is of interest from the habs? Maybe that once Higgins comes back, Kovy will sit out and leave a spot open??

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:20 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
hmmmmmmmmmm

maybe trading Souray would not be such a bad idea after all..

imagine if Souray goes, and all of a sudden Rivet becomes a superstar???

maybe that's why those guys are always together? because Rivet is able to give him instructions?

Markov certainly wouldnt do that, and maybe Komi just cant bother?

Another team (out west) would end up with him and he'd turn into the most horrible Dman they'd have...

Well, while it may have sounds like it, I wasn't stating that Rivet could become a superstar if not playing with Souray, neither stating that Souray is the worst d-man ever (while I admit that after the game, we thought he was one of the worst we saw in his own zone!...)

But what I'm saying is that after what I witness, it makes me believe that Rivet could really look like a pretty good 4-5 stay at home d-man (which he hasn't looked like much this year) if coupled with someone that he doesn't have to coach on the ice. And trading Souray? Well, again, based on what I saw, what we would lose in PP, we may gain in transition game and defensive zone efficiency. Replacing him on the power play is another question, but I think that we may be good with slightly less on PP and a lot more on transition game, but that's debatable. Anyway, my thought on this is not about trading him. It's more about letting him go next year (or at the deadline if Gainey feel it's better) and sign Rivet+Markov. I was a fan of the opposite option before the Buffalo game.

As to know if Markov or Komi can do the same thing than Rivet, I think no, of course. I can't imagine Markov giving instructions on the fly, and I think that Komi isn't mature enough yet to yell instructions to a vet (of course these are subjective observations). But that is also prooving me that Rivet is in fact very good to be able to play decent hockey while "coaching" his teamate on almost every play (literaly).

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote