HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst Stanley Cup Finals ever??

Old
11-28-2006, 08:06 PM
pitseleh

vCash: 500
I remember stealing Dryden's leaning on his stick during road hockey games because of it. I also remember thinking how weird Benedict's first mask looked.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
revolverjgw

I still have that book. I liked ''The Undaunted'' section with the mighty Rick Knickle and the sexy Manon Rheaume.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
KariyaIsGod*

99, Sabres and Stars...

Shouldn't have ended and one team got cheated.

Makes it terrible.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:36 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
OMG me too!!!! I used to love that book, i had a hard time figuring out what the term 'money goalie' meant.
What the hell are Chris Osgood and Felix Potvin doing on the front cover of a book with "Hockey Superstars" and "Great Goalies?" They couldn't find a picture of Hasek or Brodeur?

Agree with reck and the others who mentioned 1998. The only real poignient story was "winning it for Konstantinov." Detroit had won before, and everyone knew it would be a monumental upset if Washington won a game. Even with Chris Osgood's inability to stop the long shot, that wasn't a series. The real Stanley Cup final was Detroit/Dallas that year.

1982 was a sweep, but the first game in Long Island was a great game, with the Canucks nearly winning Game 1. One of the worst, but not as bad as the flaming pile of crap that Washington served up. Pittsburgh/Chicago was a mis-match, but there were a couple strong games. Florida/Colorado was a marathon OT game. (Watched that one from a grad cruise). Dance with pretty ladies, or watch a game involving teams I had no interest in? I chose the latter. Geez, my priorities were screwed. 2002's redeeming qualities are Carolina's shocking win in Game 1, and the longest OT game in Stanley Cup history.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Stevedude530

2002's Carolina-Detroit final is the only one since 1995 I can't remember watching a minute of.

Stevedude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
What the hell are Chris Osgood and Felix Potvin doing on the front cover of a book with "Hockey Superstars" and "Great Goalies?" They couldn't find a picture of Hasek or Brodeur?
To be fair, the book came out in 1996, before Brodeur was very well renowned.

I think Potvin was there to boost sales, since he was the hot up and comer at the time, along with Cujo. It was definitely targeted to kids in the 5-12 age group.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Claudio_Sanchez

2003 was really that boring? Im a ducks fans but there were some hollywood moments in this series such as Niedermania, Giguere winning the Conn Smyth as the loser, Scott Stevens hit on Kariya and then Kariya returning and scoring the sweetest goal ever, game 3 and 4 both overtime thrillers so yeah, but I can see how two trapping teams in the finals may suck for other fans at times but it's the finals baby!!!

Claudio_Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Czech Your Math

I think Devils-Ducks was an exciting series to watch.

Red Wings vs. either Caps or Canes would get my vote. Another was Colorado vs. Florida, although it may be PTSD from Florida winning the ECF against the Pens, preventing a potentially great SC Finals (Lemieux/Jagr vs. Sakic/Forsberg).

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 09:47 AM
jamiebez

Devils/Wings in 1995 is my pick. There was some drama because it was somewhat of an upset, but man, that was boring hockey.

Colorado over Florida in 1996 wasn't a great one either, but at least it ended with an overtime goal in Game 4.

Honourable mention to the Wings win over Washington in 1998.

The mid-1990s sure was a bleak period for the finals.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod View Post
99, Sabres and Stars...

Makes it terrible.
In addition, I heard people say that is was a boring game.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
99, Sabres and Stars...

Makes it terrible.

It was game 6. The Stars would have still won either later in OT or in game 7.

The mistake was not reviewing the goal, but I've read accounts that say the goal would have standed based on the rule that season. Can't remember the exact interpretation, but it was a legal goal.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
It was game 6. The Stars would have still won either later in OT or in game 7.

The mistake was not reviewing the goal, but I've read accounts that say the goal would have standed based on the rule that season. Can't remember the exact interpretation, but it was a legal goal.
You're not serious, are you? Really, come on now. Anyone who remembers that game, and remembers that horrible rule (that the NHL did away with after that year, by the way) knows that the goal shouldn't have counted. The rule was a simple one; if a player was in the crease before the puck, no goal. If you really want I'm sure I could dig up a picture of Hull's skate in the crease before the puck got there if you really want. No way should it have counted, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the Sabres!

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
MS

Detroit-Washington in 1998.

One of the most anti-climactic finals ever. The two teams weren't even close, and Washington scores 7 goals in 4 games. Just felt like the previous year all over again.

Detroit-Carolina in 2002 wasn't much better.

Other bad finals (like 1995 and 1996) at least held some interest because you knew a first-time champion was being crowned.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Wings-Canes

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboosae35 View Post
You're not serious, are you? Really, come on now. Anyone who remembers that game, and remembers that horrible rule (that the NHL did away with after that year, by the way) knows that the goal shouldn't have counted. The rule was a simple one; if a player was in the crease before the puck, no goal. If you really want I'm sure I could dig up a picture of Hull's skate in the crease before the puck got there if you really want. No way should it have counted, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like the Sabres!
It's not as clear as people think. There was grey area due to the fact Hull's skate was in the crease because he was following the puck in, which was legal. The puck then came out and Hull scored. It's ambiguous.

Old
11-29-2006, 01:52 PM
boredmale

any finals from the past 10 years where a top team from the west played a underdog team from the East. Wierdly when the role was reverse(Top team from east playing underdog from west) it was good.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:52 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
It's not as clear as people think. There was grey area due to the fact Hull's skate was in the crease because he was following the puck in, which was legal. The puck then came out and Hull scored. It's ambiguous.
No, the NHL tried to cover it up afterward with a bogus explanation that nobody but them and the Dallas Start knew about.

This business about the Stars winning later anyway is simply dumb.

Nobody here is a fortune teller, nobody knows what would have happened. The Sabres were 2 goals away and got robbed.

Although many Cup finals have been boring, at least they weren't screw jobs...

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
dabid

Rangers-Canucks

I'm kidding, I was too young to know how great the series was. I was just mad at the time cause New York won.

dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
No, the NHL tried to cover it up afterward with a bogus explanation that nobody but them and the Dallas Start knew about.

This business about the Stars winning later anyway is simply dumb.

Nobody here is a fortune teller, nobody knows what would have happened. The Sabres were 2 goals away and got robbed.

Although many Cup finals have been boring, at least they weren't screw jobs...

Old
11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
V-2 Schneider

Islanders-Canucks.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez
The mid-1990s sure was a bleak period for the finals.
Four consecutive SCF sweeps (95-98). At the time, I thought Buffalo/Dallas was going to be better just because it wasn't another sweep.

Looking back you would think that a couple of those series shouldn't have been sweeps. Devils/Wings was the meeting between the two most dominant teams of the late '90s/early 00's, both with 4 SCF appearances and 3 Stanley Cups (of course this was at the beginning of their reigns, the Wings were still 2 years away from their first win). One would think it wouldn't have ended in a sweep - but it did.

The other disappointing series was the Flyers/Wings. At the time, both were upper echelon teams of their respected conferences and on paper it should have been a good series that went 6 or 7 games, until Philly's goaltending went bad.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Pksoze

I think the 03 Finals had interesting moments.

Though 4 out of the 7 games were blowouts.

Still there is the drama of a winner take all game.

Games where you knew the Loser had no chance.

Florida,Washington, and the 02 Hurricanes were vastly outclassed in talent those years.

The NHL reseeding in the conference finals sounds like a good idea to me as well.

Pksoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Not sure it matters much any more as there is no weak conference. As we saw last year, a Cinderella in the final doesn't mean a team that can't compete. Weren't the Oilers the worst playoff team in the West and, they probably would have won if not for a key injury.

11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Pksoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Not sure it matters much any more as there is no weak conference. As we saw last year, a Cinderella in the final doesn't mean a team that can't compete. Weren't the Oilers the worst playoff team in the West and, they probably would have won if not for a key injury.

True but it wont always be that way... and the Finals will always have a better chance of the best teams facing each other.

Pksoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I dunno, the cap will do alot to maintain parity.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote