HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Props to the Refs

Old
11-28-2006, 10:25 PM
felixd

vCash: 500
Props to the Refs

Ok there's always a thread to bash the refs when we lose, but tonight was reffed so well, I think it's important to recognise the job the refs did tonight.

So good job refs!

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Very true. The refs let a lot of stuff go that normally gets called in the "New NHL." All kinds of hooking and obstruction. But it was fine. It was a good physical game, and neither team was favoured by the refs. It wasn't a specialty teams festival, and both teams played a hard game that featured lots of battles and great goaltending.

I doubt we'll see the same thing next game, though. It's too bad. If that was the Old NHL, I know which version I prefer, even with the low scoring.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:45 PM
type_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Ok there's always a thread to bash the refs when we lose, but tonight was reffed so well, I think it's important to recognise the job the refs did tonight.

So good job refs!
What are you kidding?!?!?

[Insert random marginal play where a call/non-call would have benefitted the Habs]

type_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:55 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Very true. The refs let a lot of stuff go that normally gets called in the "New NHL." All kinds of hooking and obstruction. But it was fine. It was a good physical game, and neither team was favoured by the refs. It wasn't a specialty teams festival, and both teams played a hard game that featured lots of battles and great goaltending.

I doubt we'll see the same thing next game, though. It's too bad. If that was the Old NHL, I know which version I prefer, even with the low scoring.
That's not the old NHL. There was hardly a hook/hold in the entire part of the game I watched (about half of it) that lasted more than a half second. Those calls rightly shouldn't be penalties.

The "old NHL" (god I hate these terms) had maulings everywhere, and hooks so bad the guy ends up touching your glove after dragging him so long.

11-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's not the old NHL. There was hardly a hook/hold in the entire part of the game I watched (about half of it) that lasted more than a half second. Those calls rightly shouldn't be penalties.

The "old NHL" (god I hate these terms) had maulings everywhere, and hooks so bad the guy ends up touching your glove after dragging him so long.
There were plenty of non-calls in terms of the "New NHL." I agree that they shouldn't normally be calls. But going by what we've seen from the officials this year and last, there should have been at least three penalties on Mezei alone. At one point he was holding Samsonov's stick right in front of the ref. He even (gasp!) touched Kovalev with his stick, at waist level, when Kovalev had the puck in front of Florida's net. Samsonov was chopping sticks like a lumberjack all game long.

Again, this is not to complain -- not at all. Furlatt and the other guy (I don't even who he was, which is a good thing, as it means that he wasn't trying to make himself the star of the game like Walsh likes to) let the players play, and fans were rewarded with a really good game with lots of hitting and intensity.

But I will probably complain next game, when a new set of officials with no feel for the game starts calling everything according to the strict letter of the rule book.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 12:49 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post

So good job refs!
when i don't notice the ref's then i know they are doing their jobs , this game actually had some flow and it was a refreshing change from watching 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 play all night , too bad it had to end in a shootout .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:05 AM
madbox

Although I'm sure there could have been more calls, the teams played disciplined and it was nice to watch a lot of 5-on-5 hockey for a change... Even if it's something the Canadiens aren't exactly the best at at the moment.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Agreed, great game. I don't even know the names of who reffed the game, and that's the way it should be. Sure, you could have called a few borderline calls according to the new standards along the way, but it wouldn't have made the game any better.

(Granted, when you get a game like this again where some things on the borderline are let go, I still think it can't really help the players adjust. Next game we get somebody in love with the whistle again, and the ensuing player confusion and frustration will just be magnified.)

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Kostitsyn404*

Just because they didn't call anything for once (practically) doesn't make it good refing. Seriously I saw many times where either team should have had a powerplay and nothing was called. (But I'm not talking the little BS penalties they normally call 20 of in a game, I mean the ones that are so obvious).

Sorry but in the beginning of the game, did nobody see one of our habs (forget who) get tripped down completely infront of the slot when he was controlling the puck. Clearly not a dive. Clearly a trip. Clearly the ref saw it. No penalty.

It's dumb to call every little thing but it's also dumb to not call big things or ANYTHING.

Personally, I think the refing was still improved, but nothing to give props over.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
hendextall

Agreed, one of the best reffed games I've seen all season. It was good to watch a hockey game for once, and not just powerplay after powerplay.

The refs are controlling the games too much anymore for my liking. I'm spending $90 a month for cable, just so I can watch the Habs and other NHL games, and the last month the refs seem to be getting worse. It has really made me think about canceling my cable and not watching anymore games this season. But games like this one make you forget about all those bad calls. Hopefully more games will be called like this one.

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote