HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Knuble signs 2 year extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
  #26
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
wow... Is it 2.8M per season? A bit too much. Maybe by 100K-200K
Langenbrunner is making the same $


Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-29-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 06:44 PM
  #27
slapshotflyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
This is good news. C'mon the Knuble.

slapshotflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
  #28
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
The cap hit's a bit much, but still manageable. Congrats to the guy. He's a blue collar hockey player, and deserves his pay day.
erm... you can't be serious. a 2.8M cap hit for a FIRST LINE player that is producing?

that's an unbelievably favorable cap number.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
  #29
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
erm... you can't be serious. a 2.8M cap hit for a FIRST LINE player that is producing?

that's an unbelievably favorable cap number.
He's not a first line player. Players like Mats Sundin and Olli Jokinen are first line players. Knuble is one who can compliment a first line player, but will not produce on his lonesome, with any regularity.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
  #30
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
He's not a first line player. Players like Mats Sundin and Olli Jokinen are first line players. Knuble is one who can compliment a first line player, but will not produce on his lonesome, with any regularity.
is he playing on our first line? yes. he's a first-line player. Gagne? here. Forsberg? supposedly going to get re-signed. fair to say that Knuble might remain with both of those players for the duration of this contract.

and both players you mentioned are getting what, 5.5M+ against the cap... TWICE what Knuble is making against the cap. that cap number is an UNBELIEVABLE figure for a player we're giving first line minutes and is producing 60 pts a year. that's high quality production against cash outflow.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 08:49 PM
  #31
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
He's not a first line player. Players like Mats Sundin and Olli Jokinen are first line players. Knuble is one who can compliment a first line player, but will not produce on his lonesome, with any regularity.
mats sundin and olli jokinen also make a lot more than 2.8

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 09:13 PM
  #32
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That cap number is an UNBELIEVABLE figure for a player we're giving first line minutes and is producing 60 pts a year. that's high quality production against cash outflow.
His point per game ratio is comparable to J.P. Dumont, and his arbitration award was $2.9 million. There's nothing unbelievable about what Knuble is making.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
  #33
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth View Post
His point per game ratio is comparable to J.P. Dumont, and his arbitration award was $2.9 million. There's nothing unbelievable about what Knuble is making.
ah yes, arbitration is a different animal than UFA.

and J.P. Dumont has NEVER had more than 53 pts in an NHL season... Knuble plays 3 more minutes a night (and is MUCH more durable than Dumont on top of that). he complements are first line considerably... if you can get 75+ games and 60ish pts from a player who can play PK, PP, and first-line even strength... for 2.8M a year. sign me up. that's VERY effective use of cap space. on the open market, Knuble would have done better than that...

if we can get Forsberg signed again for the same figure (know idea what his thinking is)... then our top line would be signed at 13.8M... or 31% of the cap. sounds about right...

arbitration numbers are almost always stupid... Briere and Gomez should both make more than what they got... Dumont's skill earned him that award, but his durability doesn't make him worth it (one could say much the same about what Forsbergs ultimate value equates to).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 04:34 AM
  #34
Hammerwise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
great signing and probably about .5-1.0 than what he would've gotten on open market. I also like the fact Holmgren took care of it now.

but I say no to resigning forsberg, the injuries and questions are only going to get worse. for a team in transition re-signing such a question mark player for 1-2 more years is a poor choice and poor investment of such a large amount of cap space. (gagne and knuble have played well w/out forsberg too, a lesser talent at center won't hurt, as long as we could address the lack of scoring throughout the rest of the lineup).

Knuble does the things other first liners don't: plays physical goes into corners/boards.crashes the net. He would still be as effective with a drury, gomez, briere or datsyuk on his line, who would be younger, more reliable and same price range as forsberg.

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 06:59 AM
  #35
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise View Post
great signing and probably about .5-1.0 than what he would've gotten on open market. I also like the fact Holmgren took care of it now.

but I say no to resigning forsberg, the injuries and questions are only going to get worse. for a team in transition re-signing such a question mark player for 1-2 more years is a poor choice and poor investment of such a large amount of cap space. (gagne and knuble have played well w/out forsberg too, a lesser talent at center won't hurt, as long as we could address the lack of scoring throughout the rest of the lineup).

Knuble does the things other first liners don't: plays physical goes into corners/boards.crashes the net. He would still be as effective with a drury, gomez, briere or datsyuk on his line, who would be younger, more reliable and same price range as forsberg.
personally, i agree that we shouldn't re-sign Forsberg.... however, the fact that the team is showing some improvement may change my mind... especially if they play well with Carter back in the lineup. remains to be seen... if we're still a full disaster at the deadline and he's not in the mood to be re-signed, then i think we need to trade him.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:30 AM
  #36
NJFlyer42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Here's a great quote from Knuble in today's Philadelphia Daily News:

"Whatever's happened this year - nobody on our team is writing this year off by any means; we can still do a lot of good things - I love playing in this city. I love that the fans care. I love that they boo when we're doing poorly and I love how they treat us when we're doing well. I would never want to go a city where it didn't matter. I love playing in a town where it matters. In any sport, it matters here.

"We'll return. This is a proud franchise. We'll be great again, whether it's this season or next."

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:15 AM
  #37
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
wow... Is it 2.8M per season? A bit too much. Maybe by 100K-200K
Langenbrunner is making the same $
bad contract to compare with... as Langebrunner probably took a hometown discount to stay... not to mention, Knuble might be a bit better offensively.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:33 AM
  #38
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
bad contract to compare with... as Langebrunner probably took a hometown discount to stay... not to mention, Knuble might be a bit better offensively.
Well Knuble could take a home discount too. Knuble is better offensively in his last 5 years but Langenbrunner is 3-4 years younger plus he has better playoff experience not to mention 2 cups. Also, Langenbrunner never played with likes of Thronton or Forsberg if you know what I mean.
I thought my comparison was very close. Both have wheels and hands to be an offensive threat, both top 6, versatile and RWs etc etc.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:42 AM
  #39
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well Knuble could take a home discount too. Knuble is better offensively in his last 5 years but Langenbrunner is 3-4 years younger plus he has better playoff experience not to mention 2 cups. Also, Langenbrunner never played with likes of Thronton or Forsberg if you know what I mean.
I thought my comparison was very close. Both have wheels and hands to be an offensive threat, both top 6, versatile and RWs etc etc.
i think Langenbrunner is a bit more valuable all-around player than Knuble and if he'd wanted to leave NJ, would have made a bit more. i'm sure we were looking to sign him...

Knuble wouldn't make too much more than that on the open-market, but he certainly would have crossed 3M in my opinion.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:23 PM
  #40
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i think Langenbrunner is a bit more valuable all-around player than Knuble and if he'd wanted to leave NJ, would have made a bit more. i'm sure we were looking to sign him...

Knuble wouldn't make too much more than that on the open-market, but he certainly would have crossed 3M in my opinion.
Well IMO two Sanderson like players is better then one Knuble. Talking about the price tag. I have nothing against Mike. He gives 100%. I just think we overpaid a little not too much.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:31 PM
  #41
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Well IMO two Sanderson like players is better then one Knuble. Talking about the price tag. I have nothing against Mike. He gives 100%. I just think we overpaid a little not too much.
eh, Sanderson is a nice guy to have, obviously, but he isn't a grunt. for every Sanderson you have, you gotta have a guy on the other side willing to go get the ugly goal... which Knuble does.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
  #42
vexXed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Great news. Liking the dedication there. I've always noticed he is a good spokesperson for the team at times when being interviewed. He brings much needed leadership and also produces at a pretty good price. Next year I wouldn't be opposed for him getting an 'A' and tbh I dunno why he hasn't been considered for that yet. Would be good to see Richards getting the 'A' too, perhaps rotating it a little bit between some players just to groom him for the eventual 'C'.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:16 PM
  #43
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
eh, Sanderson is a nice guy to have, obviously, but he isn't a grunt. for every Sanderson you have, you gotta have a guy on the other side willing to go get the ugly goal... which Knuble does.
Well if our young grunts Umberger, Carter, Richards and Eager (to some degree ) or our older "grunt" Calder were scoring goals and I mean any kind of goal we would be in a better shape. 8 goals among them is not cutting it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
  #44
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Knuble's been underpaid the last two seasons for what he gets done on the ice. A product of Forsberg or not, he gets the job done most nights.

If we can get Forsberg for slightly less than what he's making now for another 2 years or so, I'm happy moving forward. Unless of course a player like Gomez can be had in the summer in case Forsberg retires.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.