HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oates' Attitude

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2003, 06:56 AM
  #1
PineJockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: E-Town
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Oates' Attitude

Is it just me or does Oates seem less than thrilled to be here. He doesn't really seem to be in any hurry to play - I know, I know, he doesn't want to rush it and get hurt, blah, blah, blah - he never smiles, he just doesn't seem very enthused about the whole thing. Or maybe I'm misreading it and he is just an old guy who doesn't jump up and down like the young kids around here. As a few other folks have said, it was D-Vo's enthusiasm when he got traded that sold me on him.

PineJockey is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 07:10 AM
  #2
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,119
vCash: 500
Oates is always like this. He could win the Stanley Cup and he'd be like, 'Oh, cool.. what's on ESPN?'.

Maybe his 'meh' type of attitude is part of the reason he doesn't have any Cup rings, actually.

Mizral is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 07:14 AM
  #3
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Oates is always like this. He could win the Stanley Cup and he'd be like, 'Oh, cool.. what's on ESPN?'.

Maybe his 'meh' type of attitude is part of the reason he doesn't have any Cup rings, actually.
Most players want to get into action as quick as possible. Oates seems to have the oppposite attitude.

 
Old
11-28-2003, 07:32 AM
  #4
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Most players want to get into action as quick as possible. Oates seems to have the oppposite attitude.
Him waiting until he gets back into shape before playing makes sense. If he comes in too early, then most likely he'll drag down his team or he could get injured and be out for a chunk of the season.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 07:53 AM
  #5
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Most players want to get into action as quick as possible. Oates seems to have the oppposite attitude.
Which is why when most players come back from holdouts or long injuries they re-hurt themselves.

Oates is a veteran, and he knows how he needs to feel in order to contribute... and it isn't like the Oilers are paying him right now anyways.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 07:57 AM
  #6
gretzky2kurri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,659
vCash: 500
It seems like Oates doesn't want to rush it. Which I can understand. You have to look beyond the weekend and look at the big picture, the season.

Although I get a nagging feeling managment is pushing him. Maybe not verbally, but I worry with all the PP and face-off woes, it's putting pressure on Oates to get in the line-up.

I really don't know how this project is going to go. He's gonna help alot no doubt about it. But I don't know how the fans/media are going to react to him OR how he is going to react to the fans/media in bumpy times.

I hope people are patient and don't have lofty expectations. I just hope the team can make great use of his services until the deadline.

gretzky2kurri is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 08:05 AM
  #7
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Which is why when most players come back from holdouts or long injuries they re-hurt themselves.

Oates is a veteran, and he knows how he needs to feel in order to contribute... and it isn't like the Oilers are paying him right now anyways.
The Oilers aren't paying Oates

 
Old
11-28-2003, 08:06 AM
  #8
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
It seems like Oates doesn't want to rush it. Which I can understand. You have to look beyond the weekend and look at the big picture, the season.

Although I get a nagging feeling managment is pushing him. Maybe not verbally, but I worry with all the PP and face-off woes, it's putting pressure on Oates to get in the line-up.

I really don't know how this project is going to go. He's gonna help alot no doubt about it. But I don't know how the fans/media are going to react to him OR how he is going to react to the fans/media in bumpy times.

I hope people are patient and don't have lofty expectations. I just hope the team can make great use of his services until the deadline.
After the pistolwhipping the Oilers took on national TV (to the point that the play by play guys were all but making fun of their ineptitude), I almost couldn't blame MacT/Lowe for being a bit impatient, it must be like a little kid bugging his/her parents about if they're at the beach yet...

MacT: "Are you ready yet?"

Oates: "No."

Lowe: "Are you ready yet?"

Oates: "No."

Repeat above conversation 50 times a day until Oates says "Yes".

Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-28-2003, 08:08 AM
  #9
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
The Oilers aren't paying Oates
He doesn't start earning salary until he starts playing/is activated I believe. It was mentioned in the papers I think.


Last edited by Digger12: 11-28-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-28-2003, 08:12 AM
  #10
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Isn't that what Dawgbone said?
The fact that he said it doesn't make it true. Maybe with your incredible insight into the situation you can explain to me why he isn't getting paid. Did he sign a contract that contains a clause saying so much per game? maybe you can enlighten me as to why he isn't getting paid? Or is that too much trouble?

 
Old
11-28-2003, 08:21 AM
  #11
PineJockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: E-Town
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Whoa. Lighten up Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
The fact that he said it doesn't make it true. Maybe with your incredible insight into the situation you can explain to me why he isn't getting paid. Did he sign a contract that contains a clause saying so much per game? maybe you can enlighten me as to why he isn't getting paid? Or is that too much trouble?

PineJockey is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 08:21 AM
  #12
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
The fact that he said it doesn't make it true. Maybe with your incredible insight into the situation you can explain to me why he isn't getting paid. Did he sign a contract that contains a clause saying so much per game? maybe you can enlighten me as to why he isn't getting paid? Or is that too much trouble?
It was in the Edmonton Sun a while ago (I beleive), that Oates' contract is pro-rated until he plays his first game... so for example, if Oates dressed for the next game, he would make approx 1.46 mil (based on a 60 game schedule).

Actually, most contracts for holdouts are like this.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 08:21 AM
  #13
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
The fact that he said it doesn't make it true. Maybe with your incredible insight into the situation you can explain to me why he isn't getting paid. Did he sign a contract that contains a clause saying so much per game? maybe you can enlighten me as to why he isn't getting paid? Or is that too much trouble?
When you first posted it, you didn't have the questioning smilie, it looked like you were stating that he wasn't getting paid, when I thought it was obvious that dawgone had stated that already. You'll see that after I noticed your edit, I edited in kind once I knew where you were coming from.

Thanks for your belligerent attitude though, much appreciated.

Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-28-2003, 08:30 AM
  #14
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
When you first posted it, you didn't have the questioning smilie, it looked like you were stating that he wasn't getting paid, when I thought it was obvious that dawgone had stated that already. You'll see that after I noticed your edit, I edited in kind once I knew where you were coming from.

Thanks for your belligerent attitude though, much appreciated.
Nice try, but if you'll notice there is no "edited" info in my post. Unless there was a computer malfunction my questioning smilie was always there.

In terms of a beligerent attitude I was merely replying to your original SA comment. I note that you completely edited that comment out. makes me look like an idiot.

And to think all I wanted to know was why he wasn't getting paid.

I am adding this via edit. I did not delete my post and put in a new one with the smilie. Now there should be an edit at the bottom of this page.


Last edited by ZIM: 11-28-2003 at 08:32 AM.
 
Old
11-28-2003, 08:44 AM
  #15
SunshinesDad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Red Deer
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
From What I heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Most players want to get into action as quick as possible. Oates seems to have the oppposite attitude.
By Oates waiting it is saving the Oilers money actually. From what I read the contract is pro-rated based on the time of season he signed and the contract payments don't start till he plays his first game.

I don't have a problem with him waiting until he is sure he is ready. I am just excited to see him and what he can do to help.

SunshinesDad is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 09:02 AM
  #16
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
By Oates waiting it is saving the Oilers money actually. From what I read the contract is pro-rated based on the time of season he signed and the contract payments don't start till he plays his first game.

I don't have a problem with him waiting until he is sure he is ready. I am just excited to see him and what he can do to help.
I heard about this here (not getting paid until he plays), and I had convinced myself that until he's activated on the roster, his contract doesn't kick in. Thus Sarno getting sent back to Toronto opens up that spot for Oates to take.

I know what the original poster was saying, and I wondered the same thing myself - why doesn't he *SEEM* to be more excited about getting in the lineup? And as a fan, it's frustrating after all the hype (much of it self-generated ) of his signing to wait this long for him to actually get into the lineup, but I suspect it was the smarter way to go.

He can be as disinterested as he wants off the ice, as long as he plays hard ON the ice!


Bart

barto is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 09:04 AM
  #17
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Nice try, but if you'll notice there is no "edited" info in my post. Unless there was a computer malfunction my questioning smilie was always there.

In terms of a beligerent attitude I was merely replying to your original SA comment. I note that you completely edited that comment out. makes me look like an idiot.
Of course I noticed that. I've also noticed that on this site, if you edit a post right after you post it, the "edited" thing doesn't show up. I know, because I've done it myself numerous times due to bad spelling mistakes on my part. I'm not saying that's what you did, I'm saying that after I finished posting that "Isn't that what Dawgbone said" reply, I noticed the questioning smilie was there. So then I changed my post adequately reply to what you said, then I come back and see you going off on me. Maybe there was a glitch, who knows?

Do you actually think I'd edit my post just to make you look bad? I've got better things to do, I'm not a little kid.

Look at the posting/edit times, my original edit which you say makes you look like an 'idiot', was done BEFORE you even replied to me.

Whatever man.


Last edited by Digger12: 11-28-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-28-2003, 09:07 AM
  #18
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Oates is probobly one of the most low key players in the league. Like mentioned before he doesn't get that excited about anything a trait that will help the oilers on the bench and in the dressing room. I think he is happy to be here - besides if he didn't want to come he didn't have to.

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 09:10 AM
  #19
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Oates is probobly one of the most low key players in the league. Like mentioned before he doesn't get that excited about anything a trait that will help the oilers on the bench and in the dressing room. I think he is happy to be here - besides if he didn't want to come he didn't have to.
No, that's true, but I read today that he had stopped skating about 10 days before the Oilers signed him, so he had started to give up hope that he'd sign with ANYone... and then there's the (pure) speculation that his deal includes getting traded to a contender close to the deadline, in which case he knows he's only here for...3-4 months tops.

That's the negative way to look at it - guess we won't know which one is the right one for a while, but like I said, if he can give 'er 100% on the ice, he can be in a coma the rest of the time...

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 09:11 AM
  #20
PineJockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: E-Town
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Ya exactly. I don't mind that he doesn't want to rush it. But you would think he would say something along the lines of "Oh boy do I ever wish I could get in there tonight, but ah shucks I better not". But, it sounds like it is just more of a personality trait than anything else.



Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I heard about this here (not getting paid until he plays), and I had convinced myself that until he's activated on the roster, his contract doesn't kick in. Thus Sarno getting sent back to Toronto opens up that spot for Oates to take.

I know what the original poster was saying, and I wondered the same thing myself - why doesn't he *SEEM* to be more excited about getting in the lineup? And as a fan, it's frustrating after all the hype (much of it self-generated ) of his signing to wait this long for him to actually get into the lineup, but I suspect it was the smarter way to go.

He can be as disinterested as he wants off the ice, as long as he plays hard ON the ice!


Bart

PineJockey is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 09:20 AM
  #21
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
It could also be that he doesn't want to put a tonne of pressure on to himself by raising the expectations of the fans.

Yeah, I am sure he would love to jump in and make a big impact, but he has been around for a long time, and he has seen a lot of things in the NHL, so he is going to do what his experience has taught him.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 10:11 AM
  #22
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Of course I noticed that. I've also noticed that on this site, if you edit a post right after you post it, the "edited" thing doesn't show up. I know, because I've done it myself numerous times due to bad spelling mistakes on my part. I'm not saying that's what you did, I'm saying that after I finished posting that "Isn't that what Dawgbone said" reply, I noticed the questioning smilie was there. So then I changed my post adequately reply to what you said, then I come back and see you going off on me. Maybe there was a glitch, who knows?

Do you actually think I'd edit my post just to make you look bad? I've got better things to do, I'm not a little kid.

Look at the posting/edit times, my original edit which you say makes you look like an 'idiot', was done BEFORE you even replied to me.

Whatever man.
I'm assuming the sequence of events was this:
1. I asked the who pays ?
2. you responded with DG says
3. I began my reply to 2.
4. You edited 2. That makes what's there now 4.
5. I ended my reply to 2 and posted it. (the posting time is when you enter the post as opposed to when you start the reply which explains how I was responding to 2 and not 4. This is a common issue in computer programming relating to checkout checkin times).

If I have offended you in any way I apologize. I was merely trying to understand the situation, not suggest that you would do anything deliberately to make me look bad, after all I can do that without anyones help.

 
Old
11-28-2003, 10:35 AM
  #23
gretzky2kurri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,659
vCash: 500
Okay where's the grassy knoll?

gretzky2kurri is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 11:14 AM
  #24
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Okay where's the grassy knoll?


Up, and to the left...up, and to the left...up, and to the left...

Digger12 is online now  
Old
11-28-2003, 12:04 PM
  #25
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,691
vCash: 500
ZIM, did you steal Psycho_Joe's avatar? I keep mistaking you for him.

USC Trojans is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.