HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs need size, says Gainey, but who???

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2003, 12:13 AM
  #1
Catala
Registered User
 
Catala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Catala
Habs need size, says Gainey, but who???

We allready all know this, But realisticaly, What kind of player can we have...

Who could give a physical boost to the habs roster?



Catala is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 12:31 AM
  #2
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,483
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala
We allready all know this, But realisticaly, What kind of player can we have...

Who could give a physical boost to the habs roster?
You know that is any interesting question. You read everywhere about people saying trade this guy or trade that guy (I am guilty of it myself sometimes) but honestly if we don't want them then who the hell does? Unfortunity we are stuck with guys who make money way over their head's, why they were signed for so much money is beyond me....like Rivet for example, 3 MILLION?!?!?!?!

Anyways back on topic....I would like to see a guy like Jason Arnott. Dallas is struggling and Gainey has ties in Dallas so.....also they are looking for help on the blueline so maybe we could kill two birds with one stone and send Rivet/Quintal to Dallas for Arnott(other players involved I'm sure). Then this would give us a big guy up front and clear room for Komi/Hainsey.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 04:14 AM
  #3
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,173
vCash: 500
Landon Wilson? Chris Gratton?

Both I think will stick in Phoenix, but they are power forward types that may be available.

I would say Shane Doan, but that will never happen.

Come to think of it The Yotes have a lot of big mobile guys...

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 05:11 AM
  #4
skidboot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala
We allready all know this, But realisticaly, What kind of player can we have...

Who could give a physical boost to the habs roster?



Is Washington having a fire sale?

Brendan Witt could be an interesting fit on our blue line.

skidboot is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 05:29 AM
  #5
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,371
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot
Is Washington having a fire sale?

Brendan Witt could be an interesting fit on our blue line.
they need d-men .. they wont trade their second best . If team team can affrond him then i say Keith Primeau !

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:28 AM
  #6
EquabaleAce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Size is'nt what we need more... What we need more is pure skills, speed and heart all in one! Guys like Higgins and Pleks actually have this package! I'M highly surprised that Gainey does'nt realize that, we lack skills on our top 2 lines and it's not Dagenais whi is going to help us!
i think those 2 will stay in hamilton until we are out of a playoff spot
there is no ned to rush those guys because they will be an intergral part of our team in a couple of years. in 20/20 hindsight, i remember that the blues were shopping the boston strongboy (keith tkachuk) because they were short on cash. he is a player i've coveted for years now and would have loved to see him here.

but to address the size issue now, although he is only listed as 5'10, i've said it before but brendan morrow would be the best bang for our buck.
he is relatively cheap in terms of contract status and will get you 40 - 50 points a year with 20 blue collared goals.

it would probably cost us hossa and rivet or a draft pick but the investment would definetly be worth it. he is also married to carbs daughter so mabye he will come aboard and help our awful special teams

EquabaleAce is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 06:59 AM
  #7
Bob Bastards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammacisaac
i think those 2 will stay in hamilton until we are out of a playoff spot
there is no ned to rush those guys because they will be an intergral part of our team in a couple of years. in 20/20 hindsight, i remember that the blues were shopping the boston strongboy (keith tkachuk) because they were short on cash. he is a player i've coveted for years now and would have loved to see him here.

but to address the size issue now, although he is only listed as 5'10, i've said it before but brendan morrow would be the best bang for our buck.
he is relatively cheap in terms of contract status and will get you 40 - 50 points a year with 20 blue collared goals.

it would probably cost us hossa and rivet or a draft pick but the investment would definetly be worth it. he is also married to carbs daughter so mabye he will come aboard and help our awful special teams
Oh please stop talking about Keith Tkachuk in the Habs sweater, I am drooling all over my keyboard man...

Hummm... a 40 goal, 150 penalty minute, 6'2" behemoth in an Habs sweater, when was the last time you saw that...

Bob Bastards is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:29 AM
  #8
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catala
We allready all know this, But realisticaly, What kind of player can we have...

Who could give a physical boost to the habs roster?


I am curious about Ramzi Abid ; He's not going very well with the penguins , so may be he could be available without paying to hight .
he had 2 years ago 10 goals in 30 games for the coyotes ; not so bad !

Talent Analysis

Trenton Ash's comments:

Career potential: Solid scoring two-way power winger who will get most of his points driving to the net.

Assets: Hard worker who goes to the net. Has good hands and can pass well. Nice size but needs to add some more strength. Strong along the boards and net. Does what it takes to win and be on top.

Flaws: Discipline is lacking as he takes alot of penalties due to his style of play and his short fuse. Skating. Missing a gear...actually two or three. Not extremely quick.

Projected role: Two-way power forward on one of the top two lines. Play-off performer.

Scoring Potential: 20g 50p


he is 6' 02 '' 210 lbs

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 09:52 AM
  #9
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
I'm personnally not very high about trading Hossa... He did'nt produce but was a nice physical presence along the board and has created some very good scoring chances since the game against Buffalo.. It was a matter of time before he start to produce IMO... I very don'T understand why Julien has broken the kid line!

Hossa's upside is too much high to give up on him IMO
I would just love to see Hossa be given at least 1 shot at Center... Marian has even stated his brother is a center, he's played center in juniors, I dont understant Montreal's obsession in turning so many Centers in to LW'ers to tell the truth. It seems we draft them at center, and at first TC, the coaches say their future is on wing..
His size could definately be utilized up the middle...
Anybody know why they haven't tried it yet

:p

Double XX L is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 10:21 AM
  #10
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 26,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
I would just love to see Hossa be given at least 1 shot at Center... Marian has even stated his brother is a center, he's played center in juniors, I dont understant Montreal's obsession in turning so many Centers in to LW'ers to tell the truth. It seems we draft them at center, and at first TC, the coaches say their future is on wing..
His size could definately be utilized up the middle...
Anybody know why they haven't tried it yet

:p
I don't think Hossa's game would be translated too well at the center position. He's somewhat lazy in the defensive end. You can't forcefeed players into the center position just because they have a little bit of size. Hossa's center days ended in junior hockey for a reason: He projects to being a scoring winger at the NHL level.

As for the other names being mentioned, I doubt Morrow is available, he's probably an untouchable on the Stars roster, since they have so many overpaid, underperforming players up front (sound like any other NHL team, hmmm?)

Gratton sucks and is vastly overpaid to be a borderline third-line and more realistically fourth-line center. Wilson's ok but good luck dumping Rivet to get him...$$$ talks right now in the NHL.

Primeau and Doan are team captains, the latter is similar to Gratton in being overrated (offensively) but he's a very good checking-line center. The other is a late-bloomer that has a lot of upside still IMHO.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 11:50 AM
  #11
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Size is'nt what we need more... What we need more is pure skills, speed and heart all in one! Guys like Higgins and Pleks actually have this package! I'M highly surprised that Gainey does'nt realize that, we lack skills on our top 2 lines and it's not Dagenais who is going to help us!
Let Higgins play an 80 game sced before you crush him in the late months of a NHL season. His time will come.

Higgins never played pro hockey, and never more then a 40 game sced. Let him develop before you pile the responsibility of saving the greatest franchise in hockey on his shoulders.

As for Pleks, he was invisible last year. Let him have a full season of dominating the AHL to build his confidence before he makes the big jump. Remember, Ribs ran that league, and took forever to start producing at the NHL level, same for Ward and coutless others.

Realistic choices are Landon Wilson, Pyatt, maybe Modin. We are not going to pull the wool over any team's eyes and get their top power forward for (the guys that we would part with) used up mid pack forwards, over paid D's or unproven prospects.

You draft size, or pay them as a UFA. The ones that get traded are few and far in between.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 12:12 PM
  #12
Tony Twist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lyon, France
Country: France
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
As for the other names being mentioned, I doubt Morrow is available, he's probably an untouchable on the Stars roster, since they have so many overpaid, underperforming players up front (sound like any other NHL team, hmmm?)

Primeau and Doan are team captains, the latter is similar to Gratton in being overrated (offensively) but he's a very good checking-line center. The other is a late-bloomer that has a lot of upside still IMHO.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right, why in the world would Dallas trade Brandon Morrow !!?

He's a young emerging power forward in the making, cheap, really fast and very gifted...

I doubt Dallas would give him up even for Koivu straight up one on one !

As for Doan he is untouchable unless you give up komi which out of the question.And Primeau is way too expensive...

I think we better stick with our youngsters, sad but true as one metallica said... :mad:

Tony Twist is offline  
Old
11-27-2003, 12:13 PM
  #13
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
Center

I think Montreal needs a vertran center with heart and grit. I like Rod Brind'mour who I think is a UFA this summer. He's 33 years old but still can play on the second or third line and help Koivu lead the team. Leadership is a big problem on this team if you ask me. Rod isn't worth 5M a year but after the CBA could be a great vetran leader once Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Audette (bought out), Quintal are gone.

The big center is Montreals biggest problem and I would love to see Hossa back at center. Hossa is very good in the Defensive end and could do better Perreault don't you think?

Garnet is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 03:53 AM
  #14
Bob Bastards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
I think Montreal needs a vertran center with heart and grit. I like Rod Brind'mour who I think is a UFA this summer. He's 33 years old but still can play on the second or third line and help Koivu lead the team. Leadership is a big problem on this team if you ask me. Rod isn't worth 5M a year but after the CBA could be a great vetran leader once Juneau, Dackell, Perreault, Audette (bought out), Quintal are gone.

The big center is Montreals biggest problem and I would love to see Hossa back at center. Hossa is very good in the Defensive end and could do better Perreault don't you think?
WHAT! BRINDAMOUR IS UFA THIS SUMMER? IMG!
Grab the phone and call him, jeez find him a bomba chick but please god make him sign here! This guy have a ton of leadership, is a really good penalty killer and he hit people...

At 5mil a year, I think its OK, jeez they offer this ammount for Lapointe...

Bob Bastards is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 05:55 AM
  #15
Double XX L
Registered User
 
Double XX L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
WHAT! BRINDAMOUR IS UFA THIS SUMMER? IMG!
Grab the phone and call him, jeez find him a bomba chick but please god make him sign here! This guy have a ton of leadership, is a really good penalty killer and he hit people...

At 5mil a year, I think its OK, jeez they offer this ammount for Lapointe...
I would love to have Brind'amour... unfortunately Carolina loves him too, and he has tremendous faith in the town. He will not leave IMHO.

Double XX L is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 12:34 PM
  #16
Coco Fever
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
Some big guys I'd like to see in a Habs jersey:

Keith Tkachuk
Jason Arnott
Shane Doan
Rob Niedermayer

But the one I really like is Mark Bell...6'4" 205 lbs...got skills too...

"Dream, dream, dream..."
- The Everly Brothers

Coco Fever is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 02:49 PM
  #17
skidboot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
they need d-men .. they wont trade their second best . If team team can affrond him then i say Keith Primeau !


It all matters what they get back. They would be ridding themselves of Witt's contract. If they are indeed in a rebuilding mode they just might deal Witt.


Why not?


I agree that they need D-Men but if they can rid themselves of the contract and get a couple of youngsters.....they might pull the trigger.


Souray, Witt and Komisarek on the blue line dishing out punishment....

skidboot is offline  
Old
11-28-2003, 02:57 PM
  #18
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Rivet fand a pick for Grier.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.