HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Emery to start against Florida

Old
11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Leb_Hitch*

vCash: 500
I love the name of your location: addis ababa

Leb_Hitch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:45 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
Its funny that every bit of quantatitive and subjective evidence is totally at odds with your belief.
speak english.
Statistically, Wade Redden is much closer to being worth his contract in comparison to other defensemen than Gerber is to other goalies.

The experts (and possibly knowledgeable fans here) believe that Wade Redden is a top tier defenseman comparable to the other elite defensemen making similar coin. While at the same time do not believe that Gerber is in the same class as goalies making within $1M of what he is.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Gerber's our 2.9M backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
I agree with you. Gerber earned the next start. This guy needs to play.
ummm.. didn't Emery get the Sens out of their slump.. and he gives Ottawa a chance to win every night.

Gerber won a game... he earned nothing in my books.

Emery should play the next 10 straight and we'd probably catch up to Toronto and Montreal.... not Buffalo just yet though

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Brandi

Listen, we didn't get Gerber to be a backup.

It's almost like some fans think that was the intent. Not all things work out as planned.

The season is long from over and some of you may kiss the ground Gerber walks on by playoff time. I hope you do.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Listen, we didn't get Gerber to be a backup.

It's almost like some fans think that was the intent. Not all things work out as planned.

The season is long from over and some of you may kiss the ground Gerber walks on by playoff time. I hope you do.
He wasn't acquired to be the back-up, but, that's what he is right now. His contract got him first shot at the job, but, that's all it buys you. I believe he has the talent to be a #1. He has shown it before, and he needs to regain that form. But, now that he's lost his job, he'll have to earn it back.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:19 PM
A-Train in Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
Gerber is also 0-5 on home ice. I can imagine that if he let in any goal there would be a shower of boos. Probably best to keep him on the bench for this one whether Emery is 100% or not.
I agree but I think Gerber should be given the chance again after his performance the other night against Carolina.

A-Train in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:23 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
He wasn't acquired to be the back-up, but, that's what he is right now. His contract got him first shot at the job, but, that's all it buys you. I believe he has the talent to be a #1. He has shown it before, and he needs to regain that form. But, now that he's lost his job, he'll have to earn it back.
I agree.

My only concerns lie with Emery's health. But if he's ready to go, he gets first dibs for the time being.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

He's not going to get wins @ home by sitting on the bench so I would have played Gerber tonight. Word is that he looked solid on practice too.

The Sun has a great acticle about it: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2006/11/30/2560212-sun.html

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Mrs_NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdudley View Post
I missed the Thrashers practice at U of O once and they were there like... an hour before I had a class in the same building.
I played soccer at Ottawa U and our training camp coincided with Team Slovakia's training camp for the World Cup of Hockey.

Some of them, including Hossa, came out and started playing soccer on the field with our balls. Our coach had to yell at them to get off - pretty funny.

Mrs_NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:23 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Yes I know .. you're essentially just repeating what I said ?

BTW, my comment wasn't directed to you. I know where you stand, based on your comments you've made in the past.

Old
11-30-2006, 02:31 PM
FlamesFan80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
Murray is taking the appropriatte baby steps to get Gerber's confidence up. The team should be careful not to damage his fragile psyche by rushing him into the line up. I think his next start should be against TB on Saturday.
I think you could have worded that a little better in Gerber's favor but ultimately I agree with your opinion.

Let Gerber soak in his nice win for now. Emery had his short rest but he should be back in net. Give Gerber another start in the next game or two...

FlamesFan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:38 PM
FlamesFan80

Also,

It hasn't been discussed in this thread but I know it had a thread of its own for a while…

That one good game or two he can play now will do wonders for his trade value in case that is what they are trying to do…

FlamesFan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
littleguybigstik

why all the animosity towards each others opinion.... after all its a team game. we and lose as a team. A smart coach will and should always play the hot player regardless of the pay. If the coach continued to play players based upno their salary and never allowed the bargains of the league to break out we would never get new stars in the league. Emery has way more talent, potential at his young then gerber has and will ever have. Just because management overpaid for basically carolinas average goalie shouldnt mean that ottawa should start him cause of a bad gamble. How did gerber play when carolina needed him the most last year in the playoffs........let me tell you....
conn smyth trophy goes too....carolina goalie cam ward. coincidence? doubt it

ottawa was struggling and needed someone to rise to the occasion, the true talent came to play and yes he is a bargain... Ray Emery
my 02cents

littleguybigstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:42 PM
ISensFanI

We were in a big slump, Emery comes back, it ends, Emery plays great, HE rose up and got us out, I dont see how anyone could doubt him now, we have two good goalies but Emery is the better one and deserves #1 goalie minutes for how hes show heart and got us rollin again. Buffalo has two good goalies but ou dont see them spliting the games, you go with the better man, the man whos going to give you a better chance to win..and that IS EMERY.

Emery should get the next game, and MAYBE give Gerber the one after.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:11 AM
JamieG

gotta go gerber

If they don't play Gerber next game, you're basically giving up on him, and that's a huge mistake. He's the number one goalie. He has the contract of the number one goalie. You must treat him like a number one goalie. He played well the other night, showed signs of turning things around this season and then they reward him by sitting him. Gerber should have been playing last night, not Emery. It was the perfect opportunity for Gerber to get on a roll, but instead Murray's injects more controversy by playing Emery.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:14 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
If they don't play Gerber next game, you're basically giving up on him, and that's a huge mistake. He's the number one goalie. He has the contract of the number one goalie. You must treat him like a number one goalie. He played well the other night, showed signs of turning things around this season and then they reward him by sitting him. Gerber should have been playing last night, not Emery. It was the perfect opportunity for Gerber to get on a roll, but instead Murray's injects more controversy by playing Emery.
I think it would be more controversial to not reward the guy that pulled the team out of a slump, that, threated the jobs of the president, the GM, the coach and every player on the team.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:23 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by speztacular View Post
I love the name of your location: addis ababa
hehe, i think the Ethiopian's here do too! Certainly Menelik II did when he was busy kicking Italian A$$ at the turn of the century. His wife actually named the city after a the Miskal flower (Addis = new Ababa = Flower). The city was formed because it was the centre point for the empire where tens of thousands of cavalry on horses, camels and donkeys congregated to prepare for the long march through the mountains towards what is now Eretria.

(WAYYYYYYY off topic!)

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:33 AM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieG View Post
You're right about him getting paid like a starting goalie, but you're wrong about him being the starter. Emery is our starter now, he came in, played injured but was still the best player on the ice, made the key saves and not only got us out of the slump, but also gave us the chance for a nice streak, he was there when we needed him and that's why he's our starter, whereas Gerber didn't show up when the team needed him the most and one good game won't overshadow Emery's accomplishments. I think Emery should start the next game because he deserves it and it's his play that's doing the talking, not his paycheck.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:42 PM
ISensFanI

Emery to start vs tampa

Good thing Murray isnt being a retard with the goalies anymore

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Heske_44

Gerber?!?!?!?!?!?

80 percent of you are out to lunch. The point that Gerber wasn't brought in to be a back-up is the lamest excuse to start a goalie next to flipping a coin. But, you are right. If Gerber wasn't brought in to be a back-up, then he shouldn't be playing like one. These aren't goals that are seeing eye shots here. They are long range non screened shots.

Aside from Emery getting a shutout, even if he lost, I'd still start him. Why you might ask.....why not? He has relied on avg to be much more dependable and has given your club a chance to win every game. The team has more confidence playing in front of him. I'm well away from Ottawa and I am aware of this. Gerber has picked up right where he left off last season, as a back-up. Emery is your number one now and I don't see the problem. Emery was ready last year and he excelled for the position he was forced into. I read terrible comments from numerous posters here in disbelief after the playoffs towards Emery. He was standup about everything that has happened to him in Ottawa and has still risen up to provide a 35-15 record on his career. You all should be very proud to have a goalie with this upside, instead I have to read daily about how it is Gerber and the team that is getting screwed with Emery as the number one.

You are all entitled to your opinion but I disagree with majority of the responses on this thread and you all should be very fortunate to have Emery or you could easily be a bottom feeder team. Eventually majority of you will have to wake up and see what you were missing, until then enjoy your Gerber debates with you friends....soon it won't matter.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:52 AM
senility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
hehe, i think the Ethiopian's here do too! Certainly Menelik II did when he was busy kicking Italian A$$ at the turn of the century. His wife actually named the city after a the Miskal flower (Addis = new Ababa = Flower). The city was formed because it was the centre point for the empire where tens of thousands of cavalry on horses, camels and donkeys congregated to prepare for the long march through the mountains towards what is now Eretria.

(WAYYYYYYY off topic!)

Just so you know, you're not the only Sens fan in Addis. One of my best friends married a guy from there and they both live there now. We had them here last December and we took them to a 7-1 romp over the Leafs and he was instantly hooked. He claimed he'd never seen that many people in one place before and told us that their national soccer stadium only holds a fraction of that amount. We sent him home with a couple of Senators shirts. I know there are 3 or 4 million people in Addis, but if you happen to see a Sens logo, say hi for me. I think the chances are pretty good that it's him.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 08:08 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post

Just so you know, you're not the only Sens fan in Addis. One of my best friends married a guy from there and they both live there now. We had them here last December and we took them to a 7-1 romp over the Leafs and he was instantly hooked. He claimed he'd never seen that many people in one place before and told us that their national soccer stadium only holds a fraction of that amount. We sent him home with a couple of Senators shirts. I know there are 3 or 4 million people in Addis, but if you happen to see a Sens logo, say hi for me. I think the chances are pretty good that it's him.
There are also a bunch of canadians working for CIDA and Oxfam here too. There is a girl from Ottawa who is a Sens nut! But, there are plenty of our nemesis here as well... leaf fans! I need a leaficide spray.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 08:37 AM
16w

what happens when emery is played like the number one goalie but when its time to re-new his contract is offered less than gerber?

has muckler painted himself into a corner with this one?

16w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Brandi

Seriously guys, some of you seem to think that "fixing our goalie" situtation is just so easy.

Like how could Muckler sign a backup for 3 mil a year. Get real.

If we had signed hasek and he got hurt, you'd complain. We sign a capable goalie ( although with the rough start ) and you complain.

Hey, we sign Luongo for a **** load of money, and he plays bad, you'd still complain.

There is NO PLEASING some of you.

Old
12-02-2006, 10:52 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
There is NO PLEASING some of you.
Truer words were never spoken.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote