HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds @ Blues GDT 11.29.06

Old
11-30-2006, 11:01 AM
irisheyes555

vCash: 500
Preds @ Blues GDT 11.29.06

VS.

Who: Predators at St. Louis Blues.

Where: Scottrade Center.

When: 7 p.m CST

TV: Fox Sports Net - Comcast channel 28

Radio: 104.5-FM.

Season series: First meeting.

Predators story line: The Predators, who played in Philadelphia on Wednesday, are 4-0-1 this season in the second half of back-to-back games. Nashville went 8-0 against the Blues last season, outscoring them 25-10. Left wing Paul Kariya led the Predators with 10 points (three goals, seven assists) against the Blues last season. Goalie Chris Mason picked up two shutouts in this building last season. Nashville is dealing with the loss of goaltender Tomas Vokoun, who had surgery recently on his broken thumb and will be out 4 to 6 weeks. Chris Mason will assume the No. 1 job, and in the meantime, the Predators have claimed Mike Leighton off waivers from Anaheim. Leighton was a sixth-round draft pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in 1999. Mason was 4-1-1 with a .928 save percentage prior to Wednesday’s game in Philadelphia.

Blues story line: The Blues were shut out by San Jose on Tuesday and have scored just one goal in their last two outings. Left wing Keith Tkachuk leads the Blues' offense with 18 points (six goals, 12 assists) in 23 games. Center Doug Weight is just three points shy of reaching the 900-point mark for his NHL career. In each of their 13 regulation losses this season, the Blues have scored two or fewer goals. The Blues were 0-7-1 against the Nashville Predators last season. The club has beaten all three of its other Central Division opponents — Detroit, Chicago and Columbus — at least once this season. But this is the first game against the Predators. It coincides with Jay McKee’s return to the blue line. He has been out since Oct. 20 with a broken hand. Defenseman Matt Walker also could return tonight after missing seven games with a groin injury.

Blues injuries: D Jay McKee (hand) and D Matt Walker (groin) are questionable, and RV Vladimir Orszagh (knee) is out.

Predators injuries: RW Scottie Upshall (groin), C Jason Arnott (knee) and G Tomas Vokoun (thumb) are out.

Key Stat: 11 — Number of Predator players with double-digit points this season, compared to seven players for the Blues.

Central GP W L OTL PTS GF GA
Predators 23 16 5 2 34 81 61
Red Wings 23 13 6 4 30 60 55
Blackhawks 22 8 12 2 18 51 68
Blues 23 7 13 3 17 54 76
Blue Jackets 23 6 15 2 14 50 72

Last edited by irisheyes555: 11-30-2006 at 11:19 AM.
irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:12 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Methinks Michael Leighton makes his Preds debut today. Back to back against a weaker opponent..

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Methinks Michael Leighton makes his Preds debut today. Back to back against a weaker opponent..
I would be VERY surprised if that is the case. Trotz said as soon as Vokoun went down that Mason would carry the lion's share of the workload and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I believe Leighton to be an NHL backup quality goaltender (solid for a game here and there, but don't have him in there for long stretches of games), but with only one team practice and two morning skates under his belt with the club, I would find it hard to believe that the coaching staff and/or players would feel comfortable with having him in there tonight.

Lastly, I don't believe necessarily in the school of thought that you overlook any opponent, especially one that you are favored to beat. There are two points up for grabs tonight and with Detroit not going away anytime soon, I really think that every point this season is critical to us taking one of the top 3 playoff spots and home-ice advantage.

I would look for Mason to go again tonight and every night at least until Leighton gets a few practices under his belt.

Oh, yeah...one more thing...shouldn't really play any role in the lineup decisions, but...Mason's father is on the trip and due to the logistics and the late acquistion...I'm sure that Leighton's is not. Let Mase play in front of his father one more time.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I thought the same thing.

The Blues can suprise though, no time to let up now!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

On the same token Slake, we can't afford for anything to happen to Mason. The unusual workload, combined with back-to-backs could be a bad combination (granted, he has had a lot of time to rest before these two games, and I expect he will be fine.)

11-30-2006, 01:18 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
On the same token Slake, we can't afford for anything to happen to Mason. The unusual workload, combined with back-to-backs could be a bad combination (granted, he has had a lot of time to rest before these two games, and I expect he will be fine.)
Agreed. Mason may be playing a lot of games in the coming weeks, and while it may seem like we're "looking past" an opponent to start Leighton tonight, you have to budget your energies, and this is the sort of game you can afford to do it in.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Well, according to today's article in the Tennessean...Mason will start again tonight while the Predators continue to evaluate Leighton.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....08/1328/SPORTS

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Jarnberg

We can't afford a slip up tonight. We have a tough road trip coming up next week. These are games the team needs to win, especially with how well the conference is doing early on.

Hopefully the team comes out fired up and ready to make up for last night's performance.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 03:31 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Well, according to today's article in the Tennessean...Mason will start again tonight while the Predators continue to evaluate Leighton.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....08/1328/SPORTS
i'm thinking leighton might start saturday night. it would be at home. they would have another practice with him(friday). and it would be against the hawks. if not then the next game which is @phoenix. the reasoing there would be the following 2 games @anaheim and @LA which are b2b. mason will need some time off between now and then, otherwise you are talking 6 games in 8 days, most of them on the road.

as a side note i heard trotz talking last night about tomas. said he came back to the practice wearing a cast and a smile. everything about the surgery seemed to go well. now we just need the rehab to go as smoothly. until then let's all pull together and win some for the thumb.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 06:23 PM
handtrick

this may have been posted elsewhere, but I just saw Lehtonen was recalled a game earlier than expected for tonight's Blues game.....any defensemen questionable for tonight?

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1118

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Irish Blues

McKee and Walker are in tonight for the Blues; Backman is out with the flu. Legace will start in net. Apparently we'll have a line of Tkachuk-Weight-Guerin and another line of Rucinsky-Cajanek-Dvorak to start the game; by about 4-5 minutes in, expect to see those lines get tossed out the window.

I'd say "good luck" tonight, but ... well, congrats ahead of time on the win. I know our team, I don't expect us to show up tonight either.

11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
PredDave

Sloppy defensive play early....

Tkachuk scores less than a minute into the game! yuk...

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:17 PM
PredDave

Yeehoo! Legwand taps home a puck off the post shot by Erat...

1-1

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:41 PM
braindead

Radulov!! Proves his nhl scoring can translate against ahl level competition.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:42 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
Hehe! Good for Rads! His shot percentage is a whopping 50% now!

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Radulov....He just makes things happen. I'm not sure if he tipped it or not, but he definitely kept the play alive AND provided an excellent screen.

Good to see Vasicek pick up a point. I really like his game, but it just seems like he can't get on the scoresheet. He has terrific hands and puckhandling skills though...

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:48 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Radulov....He just makes things happen. I'm not sure if he tipped it or not, but he definitely kept the play alive AND provided an excellent screen.

Good to see Vasicek pick up a point. I really like his game, but it just seems like he can't get on the scoresheet. He has terrific hands and puckhandling skills though...
Vasicek is easily the biggest target on the preds to dislike. He's soft and he doesn't show up on the score sheet.

hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

I think Hartnell will get credit for that goal the puck never touched Radu Good play though to screen the goalie

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I think we would be down by a goal or two if we were playing any other team tonight.

The PP especially looks shakey. It was nice to see Radulov out there for a few seconds though.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:50 PM
trotzian brow

Looks like the guys are toying with them. Not a lot of effort out there tonight.

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Tootoo Scores

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Gotta love our 4th line getting a goal in a tie game to take the lead

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Radulov! I can't believe it! For a game where we play so badly, we still manage to net 5 goals....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:34 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Vasicek with 2 points tonight, nice.

Radulov with another goal, hot damn.

Also, did Mason really face 42 shots?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:34 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningMoose View Post
Hehe! Good for Rads! His shot percentage is a whopping 50% now!
Ok, now he's 50%.

5-4 final. Weak win against a weak team.

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote