HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rule I Think Should Be Abolished.

Old
11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Kostitsyn404*

vCash: 500
The Rule I Think Should Be Abolished.

They should get rid of that stupid rule that if your 1st in your division, your automatically top 3 in the conference. Seriously it's dumb. And I think it's dumb how a team could be in a crappy division and be in 1st place with 20pts and be ahead of a team in 2nd in a competitive division who has like 28pts.(just an example).

What do you guys think of this rule?

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Blades 0f Steel

I thought you were going to say the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass.

Both rules make no sense.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:44 PM
AD

Actually. Both those rules are o.k.

The extra point for a loss though... I think that kinda sucks because now, some games are worth 3 points while others are worth 2.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Turbo

Divisions and the fact that you play those teams 8 times has to mean something.

Otherwise, might as well get rid of divisions altogether.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Kostitsyn404*

Actually, I think it would be cool if there weren't divisions anymore. It'd be better just 2 conferences... don't see why not. This way your not playing the same 4 teams 8 times a year. come on thats 1/3 of the season (32 games is more then 1/3 of the season actually)

Old
11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
Actually. Both those rules are o.k.
How is it OK for a player to not be used to the lower glass in certain arenas? How is it OK to penalize a player when he obviously didn't intend for it to go out, knowing full well he'd be penalized?

Old
11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostitsyn404 View Post
They should get rid of that stupid rule that if your 1st in your division, your automatically top 3 in the conference. Seriously it's dumb. And I think it's dumb how a team could be in a crappy division and be in 1st place with 20pts and be ahead of a team in 2nd in a competitive division who has like 28pts.(just an example).

What do you guys think of this rule?
100% agreed. Get rid of that rule. What difference does it matter how you finished in your Division if your not going to do a divisional playoffs?? Take the top 8 point leaders in each conference and go....you might have the top 3 teams from the same division, but what difference does it make as long as they were in the top 8 teams.
Also....get rid of the rule for shooting the puck over the glass too. Make it so you just can't change your lines if it goes over the glass....its no reason to deserve a penalty....unless its done 3 times in a row or something and then its up to the ref to call it.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
100% agreed. Get rid of that rule. What difference does it matter how you finished in your Division if your not going to do a divisional playoffs?? Take the top 8 point leaders in each conference and go....you might have the top 3 teams from the same division, but what difference does it make as long as they were in the top 8 teams.
Also....get rid of the rule for shooting the puck over the glass too. Make it so you just can't change your lines if it goes over the glass....its no reason to deserve a penalty....unless its done 3 times in a row or something and then its up to the ref to call it.
This way if a division has 5 teams in the top 8, too bad. Then those teams obviously won most of their games outside of their division. Plain and simple.

Old
11-30-2006, 12:52 PM
ti-vite

Dave Hodge from TSN wrote a small peice not long ago (con't find it on TSN) of this saying that he agrees that the division winner should be 'guaranteed' a playoff spot, but that it should not be a top 3 spot, but more based on conference points. So if the division winner ends up 6th he is 6th seed for playoffs.

If he finishes 9th, well he gets the 8th spot...

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:53 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
How is it OK for a player to not be used to the lower glass in certain arenas? How is it OK to penalize a player when he obviously didn't intend for it to go out, knowing full well he'd be penalized?
The same way you penalize a player who doesn't "intend" to hit a guy in the face with a high stick. Even if its Chara or Briere.

The NHL took a decision that it wanted to minimize play stoppages and force defenders to try to clear the zone through the ice. All the players have to do is make sure to keep the puck at their level. or lob it through the middle.

I know what you're saying, but its nor unjust. Its the same for everyone.

Old
11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
Dave Hodge from TSN wrote a small peice not long ago (con't find it on TSN) of this saying that he agrees that the division winner should be 'guaranteed' a playoff spot, but that it should not be a top 3 spot, but more based on conference points. So if the division winner ends up 6th he is 6th seed for playoffs.

If he finishes 9th, well he gets the 8th spot...
Agreed, but by playing your division 32 times, its almost garanteed that a divion winner will be in the top 4 in the conference.

Old
11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
hendextall

Quote:
I agree with you. Out of all the calls this year, I've seen 2 that I would say were intentional. Most of the time the player is just trying to clear the zone, or the puck is bouncing on them. It should be the same as an icing so that you can't change lines because an intentional icing is no different than putting the puck over the glass in my eyes. Anyone remember last year when they changed the rule so that it was up to the ref's discretion? What ever happened to that?

hendextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
hendextall

Quote:
The same way you penalize a player who doesn't "intend" to hit a guy in the face with a high stick. Even if its Chara or Briere.

The NHL took a decision that it wanted to minimize play stoppages and force defenders to try to clear the zone through the ice. All the players have to do is make sure to keep the puck at their level. or lob it through the middle.

Yeah but the problem with the rule is that players have been conditioned to clear the puck off the glass since they were young and it's a safer than clearing it up the middle. When the glass isn't the same height in all of the arenas it becomes a problem. Or when the puck is bouncing, it is too easy for it to go over the boards. By your logic, an intentional icing should be a penalty because it is doing the exact same thing.

Old
11-30-2006, 01:02 PM
wade

Quote:
I thought you were going to say the delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass.

Both rules make no sense.

I'm sorry for going offtopic.. but ur picture .... bahahahaha

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:08 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendextall View Post
Yeah but the problem with the rule is that players have been conditioned to clear the puck off the glass since they were young and it's a safer than clearing it up the middle. When the glass isn't the same height in all of the arenas it becomes a problem. Or when the puck is bouncing, it is too easy for it to go over the boards. By your logic, an intentional icing should be a penalty because it is doing the exact same thing.
Well. That could be a good suggestion.

But the league is trying to force players to clear the puck past the Point men. (specifically to make it harder remember, that's the point of the rule changes, make the game more offense oriented).

Old
11-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Le Maroons

-The clearing out of play rule:

Imo, it should not be an automatic penalty. Should be at the refs discretion. If it's intentional, 2 minutes in the box. If it's accidental, faceoff in your own end, no line change for your team.

-Overtime rule:

3 points today, 2 points tomorrow is very very lame for a professional sports league. Change it, I don't care anymore what they do but everygame should be worth the same amount of points. 2 years with this, what a shame!

-The 3rd place rule:

I like Bob McKenzie's idea one poster mentionned. I think something is gonna change next year in regards to the amount of games played vs. certain teams. Maybe the divisions will be gone! Probably not, but maybe they'll play everyone in the conference the same amount of times.

And I'll add one,
-Goalie skating in the corner penalty:

Why?

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I'm sorry for going offtopic.. but ur picture .... bahahahaha
thanks
Quote:
Infractions on another player are pretty cut and dry. These rules have been proven to increase, for lack of a better term 'fair play' and dramatically improve the flow of the game. You can't convince me that trying to stave off a few face-offs is worth penalizing a team at any point in the game, including a game 7.

Quote:

It's not the same if it's called at an inopportune time, which it has been. If the Habs take a delay of game penalty in OT and get scored on, can you say it's fair for them because their opponent was able to keep the puck from clearing the glass?

My biggest issue is the zero-tolerance stance on the part of the NHL(I can't stand zero-tolerance anything). It suggests that there's no difference between calling a delay of game 1 minute into the opening period, and double overtime of game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs. It also suggests that their referees are so inept that they are not allowed to use any sort of discretion.

Old
11-30-2006, 01:37 PM
bipolarhabfan

I think it is quite paradoxical to still have divisions when teams are seeded within a conference format. However, if divisions are going to still be a part of the game than I would reommend that the top teams in the division get an automatic playoff birth but not 1-3.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
hendextall

Quote:
Well. That could be a good suggestion.

But the league is trying to force players to clear the puck past the Point men. (specifically to make it harder remember, that's the point of the rule changes, make the game more offense oriented).
I just never saw putting the puck over the glass as that big of a problem in the NHL. The fact is though that a player rarely puts the puck over the glass deliberately. It is unfair to penalize a team for 2 minutes for something that was accidental. They should do the same thing as an icing. Penalize the team by not allowing them to change, but if the ref feels it was deliberate, than give a 2 minute penalty.

Old
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendextall View Post
I just never saw putting the puck over the glass as that big of a problem in the NHL. The fact is though that a player rarely puts the puck over the glass deliberately. It is unfair to penalize a team for 2 minutes for something that was accidental. They should do the same thing as an icing. Penalize the team by not allowing them to change, but if the ref feels it was deliberate, than give a 2 minute penalty.
That's a very valid point. And I like the "faceoff in zone/no line changes" idea.

But to give the refs discretion to give a 2 minute isn't gonna work. The refs will NEVER call an "intentional delay of game" penalty in the third period of a tight game. But will call them in the first period.

So much of the problems with the refereeing is the discretion that is misused.

Old
11-30-2006, 01:46 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

This might sound stupid, but I was talking about it with a friend the other day, and we thought that the league should at least reduce the length of the penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, I mean, 2 minutes is a long freakin time for a stupid little penalty. Maybe they could starting giving 'misdemeanour penalties' that are only 1 minute long? What do you think?

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
This might sound stupid, but I was talking about it with a friend the other day, and we thought that the league should at least reduce the length of the penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, I mean, 2 minutes is a long freakin time for a stupid little penalty. Maybe they could starting giving 'misdemeanour penalties' that are only 1 minute long? What do you think?
Doesn't sound stupid at all. I just think a penalty is too extreme. It should be face off in your teams zone no line change. The other team shud be allowed to make the change tho. So basically thats your penalty. They win the face off, your tired 3rd line is up against their refreshed 1st.

Old
11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Shabutie

It is a very stupid rule and can hurt teams like us in the end. Our division is very strong and the fact that we play Buffalo and Ottawa 8 times a year should give us more credit if anything. The atlantic division is a joke compared to the north east... They should just eliminate divisions....This way teams like us wouldn't have to play the number 1 team in the nhl 8 times a year, or one of the most offensive potent teams 8 times a year...We can continue to play the leafs and bruins 8 times a year, since it is a big rivalry.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
hendextall

Quote:
That's a very valid point. And I like the "faceoff in zone/no line changes" idea.

But to give the refs discretion to give a 2 minute isn't gonna work. The refs will NEVER call an "intentional delay of game" penalty in the third period of a tight game. But will call them in the first period.

So much of the problems with the refereeing is the discretion that is misused.
I disagree about never calling an intentional delay of game. Unlike diving or other discretionary calls, intentionally putting the puck over the glass is pretty apparent. It's the same as saying refs won't be calling stupid penalties in the 3rd period of a tight game, but they keep doing that.

Old
11-30-2006, 02:02 PM
marioroberge

I saw an episode of Off the Record a while back with Kerry Fraser. The reason for such lame penalties as clearing over the boards and breaking another players stick is not because of improving the game but for safety reasons. They don't want a puck hitting someone in the crowd or a stick flying in there.

It makes perfect sense but the rule is still terrible.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote