HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We Need Help Mr. Gainey

Old
11-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Tatay Farlo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I hope I didn't give off the impression that I'm posting crap against him.

I normally enjoy TF's contributions to this board.

I can see what he's trying to say but he did go a bit overboard especially when he said the team hasn't been great alll year. That's emotion right there.
Your right, definitely there was emotion. Maybe we haven't sucked all year, but still pretty close. Without Abby early in the season and Huet lately, 4-5 of our wins should easily be losses and with that, we know what our record would be.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:29 PM
DieHardHabs

look at it this way...we struggle against the canes... need i go back into last yr in the reg season... or say the 2 playoff series? we took 1 out of 2 against a very good team.. on the road mind u, the next 2 are in our barn... let it go.. it was a bad game...all the more for them to be fired up against the laffs.... last time we played them we came off a win..and we were all like yay we beat ott.. **** we r good..we r gunna come out flying against the laffs... and did we no.. this yr we have always came out strong after a loss.... i mean we havn't lost 2 straigt all yr!
and if we lose... then **** **** ME!! **** PISS ME OFF ha . lil rage outbirst from tonite

GO HABS GO

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I hope I didn't give off the impression that I'm posting crap against him.

I normally enjoy TF's contributions to this board.

I can see what he's trying to say but he did go a bit overboard especially when he said the team hasn't been great alll year. That's emotion right there.
nope your answer sounds perfectly fine to me. I was talking about the first posters who wrote inside this thread.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't see any immediate fix that could catapult the Habs into first place this season. However, I do see an improved team, and I think the return of Chris Higgins could firm things up for Koivu and Ryder. Latendresse is doing better than I expected on the first line, but he's no Higgins.

My leading question is whether the team could do without Aebischer as the backup goaltender. He's having a bad run, not as horrendous as the last days of Théodore, but definitely poorer than mediocre. Meanwhile, Huet is showing that last season was no fluke. If Aebischer plays more than 30 games, Carbonneau may live to regret it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:46 PM
frago10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
I love my Habs but we sucked tonight and really haven't been that great this year. Abby and lately Huet are the reasons why we are winning games, not the 12 forwards and 6 defensemen playing. Are lineup is soft and not offensive at all during 5 on 5 play. Our D is very shaky, especially with Streit, Niinama, Rivet and Souray. Niinama is in the press box where he belongs, but Streit and Rivet are garbage in my opinion as they make terrible decisions and Rivet is way too slow. Souray has forgotten to play defense this year but at least he brings the offense. Our offense is garbage. I miss Higgins but on our first line, Saku and Lats are doing well but Ryder isn't playing well at all and got an absolute gift tonight. Our second line is pure garbage. Samsonov and Kovalev need to leave as there lazy playing is discouraging. Our third line is the only decent line we have while our 4th, we need to bring Lappy up and get rid of Murray and put Dandault on defense and call up Kostitsyn to play on the 4th even.

At the end, we have NO go to person and need to stop relying on Huet as he can only do so much. It's time to shake this team and get rid of the deadweight!!
are the habs winning all 82 games in your mind.....they win or loose as a team, it's a long season and every player will need to step at some point.... this roaster is not a cup winning one but anything can happen once your in... relax

frago10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
frago10

Quote:
Your right, definitely there was emotion. Maybe we haven't sucked all year, but still pretty close. Without Abby early in the season and Huet lately, 4-5 of our wins should easily be losses and with that, we know what our record would be.
goalies are going to make the difference where would the leafs be without raycroft or if emery hadn't turned it around for ottawa, if i am not mistaken doesn't that team have alot of scoring up front....every team needs the goalie to be the best player....

frago10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 04:55 AM
habgab

The Habs played decently until the third period, and then it was a matter of Carolina wanting it more than the Habs. Carolina had a team meeting beforehand, came out motivated and the rest is history. The Habs were outworked and outmuscled - lost the battles for the puck along the boards, were outskated in the neutral zone, and took some penalties that changed the flow of the game. The fact that Carolina has not been doing well this season does not change that they are a good team.

As for the comment about Ryder, singled out again, he played very well in the first period, not bad in the second and then sat on the bench for much of the third because of the penalties. To say he isn't playing at all is just wrong.

Maybe the Habs need more conditioning, to be able to skate with opponents for the whole game. Certainly the Habs seem to need more strength training as most of them are way too easy off the puck. But, the sky is not falling - the rumour is that the Black Hawks really want Sammy (that there is a deal on the table with Calgary but one piece is missing, and that is Sammy) - and, the change of one player (and Sammy has been underperforming) may make the difference.

If the Habs would only skate faster and hit harder (and they have the talent to do it), they would stay out of the box. The penalties in the third last night changed the flow of the game - perhaps the key is to stay out of the box. All that requires is more discipline. Souray is a god this year, but he took two penalties in a row - if his defensive play was what it should have been, those penalties would have been unnecessary and the result may well have been different.

Just my two cents....

habgab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Evil Ted

These threads show up every time we lose, we are playing pretty well we are in the playoffs and the reality is we are a 8th place playoff team, why blow the team up when we are doing pretty good?

We are missing Higgins too btw, we havent had our regular lineup together at all this season.

Maybe if we go into a loosing streak we could talk about making some moves but there is no point right now, we havent struggled that much at all.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 06:44 AM
MM425

Damnit guys... we're only 7 games above 500. now! NO WAY that's gonna cut it.

Typical crazy, overracting Habs fan. Sure it was a bad game... thoose happen. Re-group and lets beat the crap out of the Leafs .

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:18 AM
NLfan56

Quote:
Ahhh, the diversity of our boards, gotta love it. I've been thinking this for awhile, even after our SO win the game before. If it wasn't for our special teams, we would be in much bigger trouble. Granted, maybe this post would've been better tomorrow but as a fan, tonight's game pointed out the obvious problem with our team and its not just this year. We don't have go to players. Each team has at least one go to player when they need a big play. Who do we have? I know it should be Kovalev but seeing him glide this year so far doesn't show me he wants it. I've been tough on Kovalev all year and will continue as he doesn't give it his best all game, every game. I think before this continues, why not trade our decent assets and build on a strong nucleus of youth and experience that do play (Saku, Higgins, Perezhogin, Johnson, Bonk, Pleks, Lappy, Komi, Huet). I'm not saying trade all the team but at least 3 components of it. Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov and Abby (so maybe 4) would bring in along with picks and scrubs a strong defenseman and top 6 "true" offense player. Again, I'm not saying the sky is falling but to get to the next level, we need help and in my opinion, only Gainey can make that happen as with existing personnel, we won't get there.
Now we know the problem....GG should've hired YOU as general manager instead if BG!!!

NLfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:19 AM
!nkubus

Kill me but the game tonight was the best of all last 3 games. Without that stupid penality of Souray which changed the momentum it's a different game. I liked the game overall except the last 10 minutes.

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:25 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
I like that the team is finding ways to get points out of our games despite being outshot most of the time and almost always ending up with the most penalties.

That phenomenon isn't very likely to last throughout a full season though. I would feel more comfortable with the team's position in the standings if these problems went away.

Another thing I find is that the team often carries the puck up and then can't get a shot off. Our team's opponents almost always get a shot off when they enter our zone yet when we go into their zone, we either lose the puck on the boards or behind the net and it comes back the other way. I'd like to see the Canadiens do a better job of getting both their players and the puck to the net and actuallly testing the other team's goalies. Oh, and I want Higgins back. He does a great job with that.

Having said that, these are only constructive criticisms. I'm thrilled with the team's start this season and wouldn't change too much in fear of losing that element that is obviously working for them right now.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Its not a panic move, we should ahve had the players we need since the season stated. Still no big center, and its killing our offensive production.

14 goals in 7 games.

If Huet isnt hot, we lose. Prety simple.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
HabuseMoi

I think we should make something happen before we get into a slump.

we get 30 shots at least per game on our goal and we are the worst 5 on 5 offense in the league (stats wise)

there have also been less penalty against our opponents in the last two games than usual.

So apparently, we lack on both offense and defense and I wouldn't want to wait that we start losing to try to mvoe a few assets. Kovalev, Ryder, Samsonov, Aebisher and maybe Souray are all expandable. Adding to that a prospect like Perezhogin could land us something good I think.

It's not about getting a trade done no matter what
it's about getting the good trade done so we fix our problems before ending up out of the playoff or fighting for a spot

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:11 AM
JackieChan

We have combative players with no finish (Koivu, Plekanec, Samsonov), we have one-dimensional finishers (Ryder, Souray to some extent), and impressive shutdown players (Johnson, Bonk, Perezhogin). And also a magician, whose tricks fall flat nowadays(Kovalev). Our only(arguably) complete player up front is Higgins, and he's not there for us to appreciate his game. I mean, this team plays great on most nights, but it IS a kinda frustrating team to watch.

When I hear Hossa scores 3 for Atlanta like last night, I just wish we'd have a player like this for once, a true gamebreaker, so that when we loose by two in the 3rd, we have a legitimate chance of coming back. I'm not pessimistic by nature, but the team we have didn't give me the impression we could even up the score yesterday. I know I don't propose anything, and I don't mean to whine, it's just wishfull thinking for the future.

With that being said, the sky's not very bright today (damn sleet), but it's still up there.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:18 AM
habgab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
We have combative players with no finish (Koivu, Plekanec, Samsonov), we have one-dimensional finishers (Ryder, Souray to some extent), and impressive shutdown players (Johnson, Bonk, Perezhogin). And also a magician, whose tricks fall flat nowadays(Kovalev). Our only(arguably) complete player up front is Higgins, and he's not there for us to appreciate his game. I mean, this team plays great on most nights, but it IS a kinda frustrating team to watch.

When I hear Hossa scores 3 for Atlanta like last night, I just wish we'd have a player like this for once, a true gamebreaker, so that when we loose by two in the 3rd, we have a legitimate chance of coming back. I'm not pessimistic by nature, but the team we have didn't give me the impression we could even up the score yesterday. I know I don't propose anything, and I don't mean to whine, it's just wishfull thinking for the future.

With that being said, the sky's not very bright today (damn sleet), but it's still up there.

You know, everyone is hanging their aspirations on Higgins. He is a good player, yes, but he cannot carry this team where people expect - he is never going to be a Hossa, for example, and that is likely something that the Habs need. Based on about a year's performance, you can count on Higgins to work hard and take advantage of opportunities - I don't think you can expect Higgins to lead end to end rushes that will result in goals. Higgins alone is not the answer - sorry to disappoint you all.

Old
12-01-2006, 09:27 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
I don't think anyone said Higgins was our saviour. He's just a player who does things that no other current Canadiens player does. He's a unique piece of the puzzle because of it. My personal opinion is that Samsonov is almost redundant because he plays very similar game to Kovalev but isn't as good as Kovalev. Higgins does stuff no other current Hab does. He has a nose for the net and likes to get dirty. He's also very smart defensively.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

We are one of the team that allows the most shots on goal and we don't really score a lot of goals... You can say the guy is overreacting if you want to, but the guy has good points. If it weren't of exceptional goaltending, we wouldn't make the playoffs, it's as simple as that. Also, we're not a 43 million dollar team at all, I'm sorry.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Also, we're not a 43 million dollar team at all, I'm sorry.
I agree. However, we didn't invest 6-7 mil. a year in a single player like many teams. This way it's easier to turn around and make trades to adapt the team based on the weaknesses that are coming out. We do have underachieving russians and a disgustingly overpaid finn (just not to name them ), but it's easier to trade a 3-4 million bust than a 7 million one. As for Niinimaa (oops), he's not going to be in the books next year, when we WILL have a 43 million dollar team for sure.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
We are one of the team that allows the most shots on goal and we don't really score a lot of goals... You can say the guy is overreacting if you want to, but the guy has good points. If it weren't of exceptional goaltending, we wouldn't make the playoffs, it's as simple as that. Also, we're not a 43 million dollar team at all, I'm sorry.
It's not as simple as all that. The teams competing with the Habs for the last four or five playoff spots have their own weaknesses to worry about. Don't think their fans aren't concerned as well.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreXpo View Post
I don't think anyone said Higgins was our saviour. He's just a player who does things that no other current Canadiens player does.
Exactly. I stated he's our gamebreaker for the simple reason that he has been one for us this season and a bit of the last.

He'll kill you with a short-handed goal, drive your defence crazy and take a lot of pressure off Koivu to do everything in the offensive zone.

I'm not expecting 3 point games from him, but it's nice to know he can bring a kickarse game to both ends of the rink.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:33 PM
habgab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Exactly. I stated he's our gamebreaker for the simple reason that he has been one for us this season and a bit of the last.

He'll kill you with a short-handed goal, drive your defence crazy and take a lot of pressure off Koivu to do everything in the offensive zone.

I'm not expecting 3 point games from him, but it's nice to know he can bring a kickarse game to both ends of the rink.
Well, I hope you are all right that Higgins will turn this team around and make it more score more and let in less, but I really do not see that happening.

Old
12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I would actually look at our offense first as far as 'heartless' players go. There's are those two guys on the second line I would begin with...
+1

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 01:37 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by frago10 View Post
goalies are going to make the difference where would the leafs be without raycroft or if emery hadn't turned it around for ottawa, if i am not mistaken doesn't that team have alot of scoring up front....every team needs the goalie to be the best player....
But not every team need their goalie to stop everything in order to win.

Old
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post

Subtract his PP and SH goals from the team's total GF, it ain't pretty.