HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Our luck with UFA's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
  #1
Hab-a-maniac
Registered User
 
Hab-a-maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto via Calgary!
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,148
vCash: 500
Our luck with UFA's

In terms of bringing outside players into the fold has been pretty bad historically. And it continues to be. Sure Kovalev got re-signed but has he lived up to his billing? Only in the playoffs. I guess in year 4 of his contract we will see him light it up. But Samsonov with his meek 4 goals is an even bigger flop than Kovy could ever be. Lots of talk on this board had certain FA's in our midst with people saying Shanny was too old to cut it or he wouldn't come close to 40 without the Wings teammates, Sykora was weak and one-dimensional, Arnason was crap. But these guys have all done waaay better than Sammy. Yet something tells me had Arnason or Sykora singned with us, they'd be mired in offensive doldrums to. It just seems our offensive teaching/chemistry is severely lacking and we can't bring in star free agents to shine. It's very irritating but it's the truth.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
  #2
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups
 
Metropolitsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
We're doomed

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:18 PM
  #3
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Kovalev wasn't a UFA if that's what you were implying

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
  #4
Gerbox 360
Registered User
 
Gerbox 360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Yes he was. His contract ran up the year we traded for him, and then he re signed with us whilst a UFA.

Gerbox 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:13 AM
  #5
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,889
vCash: 500
Awards:
Oh, well, if you want to get TECHNICAL about it...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:36 AM
  #6
Dr_Hook
Registered User
 
Dr_Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
Yes he was. His contract ran up the year we traded for him, and then he re signed with us whilst a UFA.
We did. And it was past the expiration date (I meant of the contract; but maybe litterally too...)so he really was on the UFA market. And I remember that the other forward we were said to be after at the same time, don't know if that was ever confirmed, was Miro Satan ; I'm not sure we did not end up with the lesser of 2 evils

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:38 AM
  #7
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
We did. But I remember that the other guy we were said to be after at the time, don't know if that was ever confirmed, was Miro Satan ; I'm not sure we did not end up with the lesser of 2 evils
Weren't we after Paul Kariya for a while too?

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
  #8
HabuseMoi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Weren't we after Paul Kariya for a while too?
why couldnt we get HIM?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:38 AM
  #9
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan
 
HardcoreHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kingston, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 835
If we had gotten Kariya, we'd be saying we should have gotten Samsonov cause he'd have 8-10 goals wherever he was. It's pretty apparent that Montreal's strategy concentrates heavily on defense. As a result, production numbers from guys' previous seasons with other clubs are likely to drop off. It doesn't necessarily mean they are playing any worse.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
  #10
Better With Age*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 422
vCash: 500
Some of you people need to get a grip. How many goals Samsonov scores or doesn't score will have no relation to his value to the team or our overall success. Carbonneau has a plan for how he wants his team to play and win. If Samsonov does not fit into the role they have for him he'll be dealt. If he does and plays effectively in that role he'll be kept.

Most people read the stats sheet to see who is playing great. There are many guys in this league scoring lots of goals who are in the (-) column. Is that helpful to their team?

I can guarantee you that if we didn't have our second line we'd be in worse trouble because they free up the other lines.

Here's a question for you all to ponder and discuss. If we could clone Johnson/Bonk/
Perezhogin and roll 4 lines of just them, would we win all the time?

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
  #11
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan
 
HardcoreHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kingston, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
Here's a question for you all to ponder and discuss. If we could clone Johnson/Bonk/
Perezhogin and roll 4 lines of just them, would we win all the time?
One things for sure, we'd see a lot more games like Tuesday's game against Florida.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
  #12
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
Some of you people need to get a grip. How many goals Samsonov scores or doesn't score will have no relation to his value to the team or our overall success. Carbonneau has a plan for how he wants his team to play and win. If Samsonov does not fit into the role they have for him he'll be dealt. If he does and plays effectively in that role he'll be kept.

Most people read the stats sheet to see who is playing great. There are many guys in this league scoring lots of goals who are in the (-) column. Is that helpful to their team?

I can guarantee you that if we didn't have our second line we'd be in worse trouble because they free up the other lines.

Here's a question for you all to ponder and discuss. If we could clone Johnson/Bonk/
Perezhogin and roll 4 lines of just them, would we win all the time?
I wouldn't mind 12 Mike Johnsons.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.