HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phanuef will play in Calgary next year.

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2003, 10:45 AM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Dion Phanuef will play in Calgary next year.

It is my beleif that Phanuef will be a Flame next year. This kid is everything Habs fans want Mike Komisarek to be. Big, mean, punishing, with good offensive instincts. I have seen him twice this year and a few times over the last couple years. This kid is the real deal. Surfire NHLer as they come. I would be very surprised if he doesn't make the Flames next year, making somebody expendable if neccissary.

Too bad he's an Oilers fan though! :p

Old
11-28-2003, 06:42 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
It is my beleif that Phanuef will be a Flame next year. This kid is everything Habs fans want Mike Komisarek to be. Big, mean, punishing, with good offensive instincts. I have seen him twice this year and a few times over the last couple years. This kid is the real deal. Surfire NHLer as they come. I would be very surprised if he doesn't make the Flames next year, making somebody expendable if neccissary.

will anyone be playing in Calgary (or anywhere else in the NHL next year?) :p
all kidding aside, thanks for the opinion...obviously as Flames fans we are pretty happy about this player

Old
11-28-2003, 07:14 PM
icarus

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's not an Oilers fan anymore.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Reign Nateo

He lists himself as a Flames fan, but he's an Edmonton boy and most players convert when they turn pro anyways. Not like this is a big deal in any way shape or form.

I really think this guy is the best defenceman in the WHL and will play in the NHL next season.

Old
11-28-2003, 11:44 PM
kruezer

Quote:
He lists himself as a Flames fan, but he's an Edmonton boy and most players convert when they turn pro anyways. Not like this is a big deal in any way shape or form.

I really think this guy is the best defenceman in the WHL and will play in the NHL next season.
I can agree, he woulda pushed his way in on most other NHL teams this year. But Defensemen is not something we lack so Sutter (smartly IMO) sent him down again. I expect him to make it next NHL season, thats when I think we'll see a d-man moved.

Old
11-29-2003, 05:50 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:

Jarome Iginla doesn't seem to have difficulty with divided loyalties. Edmonton has Calgary-born players on their roster (i.e. Jason Smith & Ryan Smyth).

Old
11-29-2003, 07:55 AM
Big Deaner

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:

Agreed, Phaneuf looked great in training camp and as well as bringing steady defense to the team he can put up points and scare the hell out of the opposition.

Old
11-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Hagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deaner
Agreed, Phaneuf looked great in training camp and as well as bringing steady defense to the team he can put up points and scare the hell out of the opposition.
I guess I have to be the one to spoil everyones' soup.

This year,I have only seen him play on TV from Brandon the other night, but I was not impressed, even with his 2 G & 1 A.

The Assist was a good one, but on the goals he was like a shinney player doing the goal suck thing against a very poor team with a third rate goalie.

He was constantly out of poition, held onto the puck way to long, and skated like he were in sand.

He played better last year and he must pick it up a few notches if he hopes to play for Canada this year.

I hope it was just an average game against a poor team.

Hagar

P.S. I cheer for the Flames

Old
11-29-2003, 08:50 AM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar

This year,I have only seen him play on TV from Brandon the other night, but I was not impressed, even with his 2 G & 1 A.

The Assist was a good one, but on the goals he was like a shinney player doing the goal suck thing against a very poor team with a third rate goalie.

He was constantly out of poition, held onto the puck way to long, and skated like he were in sand.

He played better last year and he must pick it up a few notches if he hopes to play for Canada this year.

Hagar

I'm not disputing your loyalties to the Flames, but as you say...that was only one game....by all reports he's been excellent this season, I'd be surprised if he didn't make the jr team?

Old
11-29-2003, 12:47 PM
kruezer

Quote:

Hagar

Thats just not the case Hagar, He has been excellent this year. This Russia series wasn't his best, I can agree, but he still put up 2 goals and 4 points in 2 games. He was hardly terrible that game though. Nothing spectacular, but I wasn't seeing the out of position and didn't see these poor passes. He was solid, Getzlaf really stole the show, but Phaneuf was solid. From what I've seen of him with the Rebs this year, he is much better than last year on a MUCH poorer team, he's really taken charge. I'd be VERY surprised if he didn't make the WJC team.

Old
11-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Hagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Thats just not the case Hagar, He has been excellent this year. This Russia series wasn't his best, I can agree, but he still put up 2 goals and 4 points in 2 games. He was hardly terrible that game though. Nothing spectacular, but I wasn't seeing the out of position and didn't see these poor passes. He was solid, Getzlaf really stole the show, but Phaneuf was solid. From what I've seen of him with the Rebs this year, he is much better than last year on a MUCH poorer team, he's really taken charge. I'd be VERY surprised if he didn't make the WJC team.
Like I said, I have only seen him once, and that was on TV.

He didn't make many bad plays, but he didn't do much even though he wasn't presured at all. You must have seen all of the "D" standing between the crease and slot in the offencive zone; both his goals were from there.

In league play 1. he could never sit in that area 2. he hasn't seen poor goaltending like that since tiny mite.

In the defencive zone, he must have felt sorry for the Russians because he didn't hit anyone with his usual enthusiasm.

Did you see him rush the puck? I didn't! Did you see him skate with any jump? I didn't!

It was only one game, lots of points, but he didn't do himself any favours. I thought Belle was very much the best "D" in the game.

Don't let goals and assists fool you!

Hagar

Old
11-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Reign Nateo

Like I said before I have seen him live a few times now, and he reminds me of a young Roman Hamrlik.

He is big, nasty, and can run the PP. He is the 3rd leading scorer and top defenceman on his team. What more can you ask from him?

Old
11-29-2003, 08:37 PM
kruezer

Quote:

He didn't make many bad plays, but he didn't do much even though he wasn't presured at all. You must have seen all of the "D" standing between the crease and slot in the offencive zone; both his goals were from there.

In league play 1. he could never sit in that area 2. he hasn't seen poor goaltending like that since tiny mite.

In the defencive zone, he must have felt sorry for the Russians because he didn't hit anyone with his usual enthusiasm.

Did you see him rush the puck? I didn't! Did you see him skate with any jump? I didn't!

It was only one game, lots of points, but he didn't do himself any favours. I thought Belle was very much the best "D" in the game.

Hagar
Oh yes, Belle was great, And yes, this wasn't Phaneuf best game. I'm just trying to say he wasn't awful, sure he wasn't dominant, but my point is that during Rebs games, he is dominant most of the time. Like Reign Nateo asked, what more do you want from him?

Old
11-30-2003, 12:49 PM
icarus

Quote:

Hagar
Like you said, you've only seen him once. Maybe you should buy some Rockets tickets the next time Red Deer comes to town. You should wait until you've seen him more than once before starting to worry about holes in his game.

Old
12-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
This kid is everything Habs fans want Mike Komisarek to be.
So like...some cross between Bobby Orr and Scott Stevens?

All kidding aside, Phaneuf is a great guy. He throws bodychecks like a 25-year old and skates well for a guy his size.

Old
12-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

Hagar

If he "hopes" to play for Canada he'll have to pick it up a few notches?

I think you should have left it with that last line (hope it was an average game) and not have drawn conclusions about his WJC future after seeing one exhibition game on the second half of back to back games where he was playing with players he does not usually play with. Not the ideal situation to be scouting the kid.

Old
12-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Fire

I would almost consider it a gaurantee that Phaneuf will be on the World Junior team along side another WHL standout Coburn.

Old
12-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Not the ideal situation to be scouting the kid.
Then explain why organizations at all levels of hockey send their scouts to watch these "showcase games?"

Old
12-02-2003, 07:22 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Then explain why organizations at all levels of hockey send their scouts to watch these "showcase games?"
Because it's a high concentration of the players they want to be watching. Still not the ideal conditions for the players to succeed and showcase their game.

Every year at the prospects game there are scouts from every team and yet you hear all the time from said scouts that they don't end up reading too much into the prospects game. They go because the most highly touted junior players eligible for the draft are all there and yet no scout would draw hasty conclusions on that one showing where they are playing with unfamiliar players. Guys can have a good prospect game showing and impress the scouts but I've heard on several occasions that the scouts would not drop a player for a poor performance in such a game.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 12-02-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old
12-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Sec of Partying Down

From what I saw of Phaneuf in training camp he didn't look out of place at all and could have made the Flames defense if the Flames weren't loaded in that area.

Old
12-02-2003, 09:43 AM
looooob

It's probably worth reiterating that even in this supposedly 'poor' game that Phaneuf played he got 3 points, which isn't shabby for a dman

I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't make the WJ team

Old
12-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_IN_LV
From what I saw of Phaneuf in training camp he didn't look out of place at all and could have made the Flames defense if the Flames weren't loaded in that area.
Exactly my assessment of camp as well. If we had been an expansion team he would have easily made the club. VERY impressive in camp, I wasn't sure what to expect because he seemed to be the consensus 3rd best defensemen in the draft but to me he looks to have as high or higher upside than any defensemen we've had in the past 5 years. Seems like a combination of Regehr's size (and hopefully strength in a couple years) and Morris' feistiness, shot and puck moving ability.

VERY excited about his potential after seeing him in camp. He has a higher upside than Regehr, Leopold or Morris and should hopefully develop into a star NHLer.

Old
12-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Because it's a high concentration of the players they want to be watching. Still not the ideal conditions for the players to succeed and showcase their game.

Every year at the prospects game there are scouts from every team and yet you hear all the time from said scouts that they don't end up reading too much into the prospects game. They go because the most highly touted junior players eligible for the draft are all there and yet no scout would draw hasty conclusions on that one showing where they are playing with unfamiliar players. Guys can have a good prospect game showing and impress the scouts but I've heard on several occasions that the scouts would not drop a player for a poor performance in such a game.
Yea, I'm sure they're just there to take advantage of the group discount on the Polish Bratwursts.

They're there to evaluate TALENT.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Yea, I'm sure they're just there to take advantage of the group discount on the Polish Bratwursts.

They're there to evaluate TALENT.
Did you even read my post? Sounds like you really didn't get my point.

Old
12-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Harry Paratestes

vCash:
I think Phaneuf in time is gonna be a Jovo type D-man ..punishing hitter , scrapper and will contribute point wise although i dont know if he can touch Jovos skating ability .

Closed Thread