HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dion Phanuef will play in Calgary next year.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2003, 11:03 PM
mbam99

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
As an Oiler fan living in Red Deer, I have had the chance to watch Phaneuf play quite a bit. You defintiely have a great player in your ranks. I would be very, very surprised if he never made the Flames next year. He is an excellent player.

Old
12-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Badger Bob

The Flames really have no reason to rush Phaneuf's development. The defensive corps is pretty stable now. If there's a lockout next season, he's definitely going to spend 2004-05 at the AHL level. Remember, this is the most difficult position to learn. Suter & Coburn can be used as benchmarks at comparing progress.

One player, who could have a decent chance to make the big club next year is Eric Nystrom. Expect McAmmond to be shown the door some how, opening up a spot on LW.

Old
12-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
If there's a lockout next season, he's definitely going to spend 2004-05 at the AHL level.
I disagree. I don't think he will take that long to crack the NHL. If next season is locked out then I think we'll see him in Calgary in 04-05.

He looked good enough in camp to make the team this year if we were a lower eschelon team. In fact I've heard some rumours that if his junior rights had not been owned by a team with a solid coaching staff that he would have stayed in Calgary.

I just can't see him taking two more years. Both Regehr and Morris stepped in at age 19 and I think this kid has a higher upside than either. I think he has the ability to step in at age 20 (which he'll be for 04-05).

Old
12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
If next season is locked out then I think we'll see him in Calgary in 04-05.
If there's a lockout, the team has the luxury of sending him down to the AHL affiliate (wherever that might be by that time). Every eligible player, who wouldn't have to clear waivers, should have the same status. It makes more sense than allowing them to play overage in juniors, jetting around Europe or sitting at home.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:37 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
If there's a lockout, the team has the luxury of sending him down to the AHL affiliate (wherever that might be by that time). Every eligible player, who wouldn't have to clear waivers, should have the same status. It makes more sense than allowing them to play overage in juniors, jetting around Europe or sitting at home.
Next year isn't his overage year though. I don't think he's eligible for the AHL next year.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Reign Nateo

Not to toot my own horn (thread starter), but this kid has been a rock in the WJC, and I'll say it again, he will play in Calgary next year.

Closed Thread