HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Safer Glass

Old
12-01-2006, 07:15 PM
RTWAP*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN View Post
get the kids a few sticks and a few more pairs of tickets and everything will be fine.

this is a one and 10,000 type thing. There is no need to make a big deal out of this and the glass that was put in is safer for the players, because it is not as hard when being hit into.

For all we know the glass could have been dropped on install and had a small crack in it, or been hit in warm ups.

Just let it go.

The more people make of the the more some nut job is going to try and jump on and look for a big payday.
They're not likely to be sued or anything. Canadians don't have quite the same litigious society that Americans do. But there is no reason not to take some precautions. There are thin films that can be applied to glass that prevent them from dispersing when shattered. Explosive shattering is dangerous, especially when you're sitting a couple feet away from it.

And this has nothing to do with the seamless glass. I don't think the glass has changed at all from 2 seasons ago. What has changed is that the boards are much looser. Loose boards prevents you from connecting the glass together because each piece has to be able to move independently (since it's mounted into a movable board-section). Installing the glass in the seamless configuration probably makes the problem worse as the energy of impact is born by the glass alone, not dissipated into the movable board.

There are lots of unreasonable precautions:
  • Leave 5 feet clear between the boards and fans
  • Put a fine mesh between fans and glass
  • Use a less clear glass or plexiglas that results in poorer TV and arena viewing experience

If those were the only options then maybe doing nothing would be the best option. But there are cheap, easy options that won't adversely affect anyone, except cost the clubs a bit of money. It might not be cost effective, but it's not really about cost. If you do a cost/benefit analysis on the netting at each end of the rink then they're not cost effective either (one death in thousands of games over decades?).

But bad PR is wicked multiplier when things go wrong. And you never want someone from 60 Minutes asking the question "So when little kids were sent to hospital for stitches, didn't you think there might be a problem?"

Last edited by RTWAP*: 12-01-2006 at 07:21 PM.
RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
The SBP glass is shatterproof.
Evidently not.

Quote:
However, that particular pane of glass had a spiderweb crack from practice, so it was weakened. SBP staff failed to replace it in the 6 hours leading up to game time.
If it can be cracked in practice then it can be cracked in a game. They don't inspect the glass between plays to see if their safe for impacts.

Since this is the second or third time THIS YEAR that this has happened at a game I've been at (I've been to 4 games so far) this is not as rare occurrence as we'd like to think.

Old
12-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Evidently not.

If it can be cracked in practice then it can be cracked in a game. They don't inspect the glass between plays to see if their safe for impacts.

Since this is the second or third time THIS YEAR that this has happened at a game I've been at (I've been to 4 games so far) this is not as rare occurrence as we'd like to think.
they lie to me in training there then haha

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:17 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
they lie to me in training there then haha
They're not the only ones. Wikipedia also says Plexiglas does not shatter.

Old
12-02-2006, 10:42 PM
emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2008 View Post
Yes there is some that get hurt but with anythign it will happen.The glass does give.I have been invloved at the jr a and pro level and its 50/50 some players like it some hate it.
They give a little, but not much. Watching a hit into seamless and not is like night and day. You can see the boards and glass visibly move.

emo is offline   Reply With Quote