HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Would the Preds have interest in Vaananen?

Old
12-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Stranger

vCash: 500
Would the Preds have interest in Vaananen?

I saw the post in the trade rumors forum:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=317347

He's only 26 and has some size. Assuming the rumors were true, do you think that we would have any interest in acquiring him? Honestly, I haven't really watched him over the years so I'm not sure as to his play style. I've judged it on his age, size, etc., but if his game is terrible than excuse me.

I know that when we start to get Arnott and Upshall back we'll be in the same situation as the beginning of the year and Radulov's play will make it hard to send him down. I know we expressed a desire to land a more physical defenseman, but our defense has been improving and the team is winning (even though we've played a few bad games).

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think we would be interested. Ossi is an okay defenseman. He isn't the no. 2 guy they wanted when they acquired him, but he can play anywhere from a 3-6 level. He would be a good fit as a stay at home guy for Zidlicky, especially with how good he is at clearing bodies out of the way.

12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
I saw the post in the trade rumors forum:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=317347

He's only 26 and has some size. Assuming the rumors were true, do you think that we would have any interest in acquiring him? Honestly, I haven't really watched him over the years so I'm not sure as to his play style. I've judged it on his age, size, etc., but if his game is terrible than excuse me.

I know that when we start to get Arnott and Upshall back we'll be in the same situation as the beginning of the year and Radulov's play will make it hard to send him down. I know we expressed a desire to land a more physical defenseman, but our defense has been improving and the team is winning (even though we've played a few bad games).
not really. should we need some depth at D, which i don't think we need, a call-up would be in order vs. a trade. now if maybe the depth gets thinned by IR that may change. and of course if we could get a sweetheart deal that might also change my thinking. but for now i think we are OK. long term if we need anything it would be on the offensive side. i wonder if kariya and sully will re-up, so that is where we may need depth in the future. as for right now we just need someone who could be a utility guy.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 03:11 PM
beautypersoni

But should we need some depth on defense in the form of a large, agressive, defensive defenseman, I don't think calling up Alex Henry or Nolan Yonkman will improve our team much (to say the least). I'm not sure about Sheldon Brookbank. I liked his brother; wish we could have held onto him.

I really wish we still had Mark Eaton. Though not a large, agressive guy, he's a great defensive defenseman, who's having a great season with Pittsburgh. I also really miss iron-man Karlis Skrastins. Those two are my all-time favorite Predators defensemen. Although Shea Weber will likely soon join them.

As for long-term needs, I'm looking forward to seeing Cal O'Reilly in a Predators jersey. I can see him becoming the first great set-up man the team's ever drafted. And he's a center! But like Cody Franson and Ryan Parent, Cal won't be in Nashville very soon.

Anyhoo...

beautypersoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think he'd be an upgrade on Zanon and Lehtonen. If the price was right, I wouldn't mind seeing us acquire him.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Bam Beet*

Hi guys, I was wondering what it would take to get Hartnell? This would also clear some space for Radulov. Would Vaananen be enough? Maybe add a pick?

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic's-A-Legend View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering what it would take to get Hartnell? This would also clear some space for Radulov. Would Vaananen be enough? Maybe add a pick?
don't even ask ... Kariya is on the market this offseason

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
don't even ask ... Kariya is on the market this offseason
I have more confidence in us signing Kariya before we sign Hartnell honestly. I think giving Hartnell's playstyle and his age, alot of teams will be looking to grab him. While no doubt some teams will be looking at Kariya, I think he'll sign with a team based on where they are. If we do well in the offseason, I think he stays.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
I have more confidence in us signing Kariya before we sign Hartnell honestly. I think giving Hartnell's playstyle and his age, alot of teams will be looking to grab him. While no doubt some teams will be looking at Kariya, I think he'll sign with a team based on where they are. If we do well in the offseason, I think he stays.
he better start scoring more GOALS

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 07:57 PM
FaceOfTheFranchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think we would be interested. Ossi is an okay defenseman. He isn't the no. 2 guy they wanted when they acquired him, but he can play anywhere from a 3-6 level. He would be a good fit as a stay at home guy for Zidlicky, especially with how good he is at clearing bodies out of the way.
most def agree here, hed look great with zidlicky. if we were to pick him up i think the package might look something like this:

NASHVILLE-Vaananen and a 3rd

COLORADO-Upshall

does tht seem fair? upshall is a very useful player, but with the play of radulov and tootoo, theres just no room for him in nashville.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I don't know. I think it is probably fair, but I'm not sure how many years Ossi has left before UFA. If he is a rental, there is no point in dealing Upshall for him.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote