HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Post/Larry Brooks Rumor: Rangers Near Deal For Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
NY Post/Larry Brooks Rumor: Rangers Near Deal For Jagr

From "The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same" department:

Larry Brooks' column, New York Post, Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2003

"...The Post has learned that Jagr on Monday told two longtime confidantes that he trusts a deal between the Capitals and Rangers is, if not imminent, as close to it as possible. Multiple sources have confirmed acceleration in the talks - initiated and pursued by Washington - between the teams' respective front offices over the last two weeks....We're told the Caps have offered to assume $20 million of the $45 million guaranteed Jagr is owed on his contract beginning next season...."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/43166.htm

Hockey in the Tri-State area, in a nutshell:

One team decides to publicly announce it's desire to dump salaries smack dab in the middle of a winning streak...the team has lost 5 of 7 since, and home attendance is declining again this year...while the owner is off chasing a hoops dream. :p

Another team, not convinced by six straight years of futility, still insists on importing EVERY SINGLE OVERPAID UNDERACHIEVER in the league, on the faulty premise that playing for them will bring out the best in said players. Having seen it work just splendidly for Lindros, Kovalev, Carter, Holik, Kasparaitus, Malakhov, etc. :p , the next fatcat savior is none other than Jaromir "where have you gone?" Jagr. How surprising!

Meanwhile that "boring", "dull" championship team in New Jersey is undefeated in 12 straight....

Old
11-26-2003, 01:04 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
So Larry Brooks didn't actually have the inspiration to come up with an original rumor? Shocking news indeed :p

Old
11-26-2003, 04:22 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Another team, not convinced by six straight years of futility, still insists on importing EVERY SINGLE OVERPAID UNDERACHIEVER in the league,

You forgot pouty and oft injured...

I really think Lindros is what this team needs, and he'll be back strong with new life playing for a new team..

No wait, I really think Bure is what this team lacks, they need that speed on the wing, and we all know how much Bure wants to be in New York, so I'll bet he'll dominate and get this team to the playoffs..

No, no wait.. I really think Holik and Kasparaitis will bring the toughness this team has lacked and will be the difference in getting to the playoffs..

No, no, no wait.. Tom Poti is a great addition to the Rangers blueline, and he'll take some of the pressure off of Leetch, so the Ranger defense will be, um, tough to defend against.. So what if he costs them a heart and soul guy like York, you can always find more heart and soul guys, but a one dimensional defenseman is a rare find..

No, no, no, no, wait.. Alex Kovalev is going to turn this team around.. He never wanted to leave and Smith/Campbell gave up on him too early.. He loves New York and will dominate with Lindros who's needed a puck carrier this whole time.. Now they'll be in the playoffs and will dominate..

Someone please remind me what the definition of INSANITY is???

Old
11-26-2003, 05:06 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
TSN now has a little bit on this rumor. But with a kicker. They say Ken Holland has expressed interest in Jagr. (God i hope not)

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=62032

Old
11-26-2003, 05:18 AM
Satan81

Quote:
Hockey in the Tri-State area, in a nutshell:

One team decides to publicly announce it's desire to dump salaries smack dab in the middle of a winning streak...the team has lost 5 of 7 since, and home attendance is declining again this year...while the owner is off chasing a hoops dream. :p

Another team, not convinced by six straight years of futility, still insists on importing EVERY SINGLE OVERPAID UNDERACHIEVER in the league, on the faulty premise that playing for them will bring out the best in said players. Having seen it work just splendidly for Lindros, Kovalev, Carter, Holik, Kasparaitus, Malakhov, etc. :p , the next fatcat savior is none other than Jaromir "where have you gone?" Jagr. How surprising!

Meanwhile that "boring", "dull" championship team in New Jersey is undefeated in 12 straight....
Awesome.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
From "The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same" department:

Does this team really exist? You know, the old tree falls in the woods thang, if a team plays in an areana and nobody goes to see them yadda yadda.......Nothing against the Devils team, just futhering the craziness that is NY-NJ hockey....

As for the Rangers and Jagr, I have no doubt it will happen...The price in players will be minimum, but the paper champions will still fail chemistry and the NHL season..

Old
11-26-2003, 05:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I seriously question any GM wishing to pick up Jagr's 11 million a year contract. Of course, this is Glen Sather

Old
11-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Frenzy1

Would love to see this. I hate the Rangers and this would put them over the top on my S#!T list. It would also help the Rangers new Moto, All O, no D.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:56 AM
NYR469

it should be noted that in the article brooks says that the rangers & caps haven't even started discussing players involved...

now how can a trade be imminent if discussion of an actual trade hasn't even started yet??

the discussion of the financial aspect of the trade is to determine if it would be a waste of time to discuss a trade, not to actually make the trade

Old
11-26-2003, 05:59 AM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Would love to see this. I hate the Rangers and this would put them over the top on my S#!T list. It would also help the Rangers new Moto, All O, no D.
Good for you...

Old
11-26-2003, 06:07 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Does this team really exist? You know, the old tree falls in the woods thang, if a team plays in an areana and nobody goes to see them yadda yadda.......Nothing against the Devils team, just futhering the craziness that is NY-NJ hockey....

As for the Rangers and Jagr, I have no doubt it will happen...The price in players will be minimum, but the paper champions will still fail chemistry and the NHL season..

This is pretty funny...next thing you'll here from NY media is that NJ domination has become dull and stagnant. Winning games 4-0 and 5-0 gives the fans little excitement...

Old
11-26-2003, 06:08 AM
Teezax

Well it's been almost a couple of months since Sather made a mistake, he's due! Go get yourself another money hungry ego Glen, show the rest of the GM"s how it's done!

Old
11-26-2003, 06:10 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
any chance sather goes for the whole sha-bang:

gonchar, lang & jagr

for

? money and minor-leaguers

Old
11-26-2003, 06:20 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
it should be noted that in the article brooks says that the rangers & caps haven't even started discussing players involved...

now how can a trade be imminent if discussion of an actual trade hasn't even started yet??

the discussion of the financial aspect of the trade is to determine if it would be a waste of time to discuss a trade, not to actually make the trade
I think the players part of any Jagr deal is the minutia of the deal. The only way the players part of the package kills the deal is if it tilts the financial package away from being do able for either team. there is no shortage of ranger players with good resumes and poor production to make a deal happen.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:33 AM
drewcon40

Losing fans

This would be the biggest mistake (bringing Jagr to the Rangers).

I know, for a fact, that Ranger fans would be outraged if this trade took place. Then again, Sather and Dolan do not care what the fans think. (Interesting way to do business when you want to attract fans).

We need to get these friggin' veterans out of here. Not bring back another unmotivated stiff.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:43 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
This would be the biggest mistake (bringing Jagr to the Rangers).

I know, for a fact, that Ranger fans would be outraged if this trade took place. Then again, Sather and Dolan do not care what the fans think. (Interesting way to do business when you want to attract fans).

We need to get these friggin' veterans out of here. Not bring back another unmotivated stiff.
I posted the following a while ago and I will post it again:

"To Washington: Nedved, Poti ,Lundmark, Dunham, 1st pick '04,
2nd pick '05
To NY: Jagr, Kolzig and Lang"

Old
11-26-2003, 06:59 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
I posted the following a while ago and I will post it again:

"To Washington: Nedved, Poti ,Lundmark, Dunham, 1st pick '04,
2nd pick '05
To NY: Jagr, Kolzig and Lang"
And just to repeat, everyone thinks your delusional if you think that has a prayer. While the Rangers COULD afford to pay those guys, I can't imagine them picking up that much salary and moving out 4 young players/picks in that type of deal. Rangers MIGHT be finally generating some chemistry, and I think it would be insane to do that type of deal.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:05 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Do you seriously question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I seriously question any GM wishing to pick up Jagr's 11 million a year contract. Of course, this is Glen Sather
Jagr at $5.5 mil? I wouldn't. $20 mill coming to the Rags will help grease the wheel a bit. Hopefully Poti makes his way back to DC in this deal.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40
I know, for a fact, that Ranger fans would be outraged if this trade took place.
My level of indignence will depend on what the Rangers give up. If we taking problems off McPhee's hands, he needs to be prepared to take some problems off ours. In reality, the Caps aren't in a position to be asking for anything of value anyway.

Can anyone tell us for sure how many years are left on Jagr's deal? Is it 5 including this season?

Old
11-26-2003, 07:28 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
My level of indignence will depend on what the Rangers give up. If we taking problems off McPhee's hands, he needs to be prepared to take some problems off ours. In reality, the Caps aren't in a position to be asking for anything of value anyway.

Can anyone tell us for sure how many years are left on Jagr's deal? Is it 5 including this season?
5 years including this year, correct. I would expect that the Rangers will offer one of 3 or 4 players to the Capitals and insist that they take one to help the Rangers offset Jagr's contract. That player will depend on how much salary the Caps eat on Jagr's contract. For instance the Caps are not going to take $5m of Jagr's deal and Kasparitis. That's not savings at all with the lenth of Kaspar's contract. I doubt the player the Caps would get will be Lundmark. even though he has been a scratch lately. The player will likely come be either Kovalev, Carter, Poti, or Kasparitis. I suspect that it will be Carter.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
5 years including this year, correct. I would expect that the Rangers will offer one of 3 or 4 players to the Capitals and insist that they take one to help the Rangers offset Jagr's contract. That player will depend on how much salary the Caps eat on Jagr's contract. For instance the Caps are not going to take $5m of Jagr's deal and Kasparitis. That's not savings at all with the lenth of Kaspar's contract. I doubt the player the Caps would get will be Lundmark. even though he has been a scratch lately. The player will likely come be either Kovalev, Carter, Poti, or Kasparitis. I suspect that it will be Carter.

It's not going to be Kovalev (whom people seem to assume is available) and its not going to be Poti. I agree it will be Carter and/or Kasparitis to the Caps. If it's both, then something else is going the Ranger's way as well.

11-26-2003, 07:59 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:

Kaspar's contract is for another 3 years after this one at 4.2 mil each. Jagrs contract is for 44 mil after this year, Kaspars is 12.6 mil.

20 mil in cash + 12.6 mil = 32.6 mil which still saves the Caps 11.4 mil. overall.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Kaspar's contract is for another 3 years after this one at 4.2 mil each. Jagrs contract is for 44 mil after this year, Kaspars is 12.6 mil.

20 mil in cash + 12.6 mil = 32.6 mil which still saves the Caps 11.4 mil. overall.
After this season the Capitals can buy Jagr out of his contract for $29.8m. If the is a lockout that kills off next season, the Caps can buy out Jagr for $22m before the 2005 season. Its cheaper for the Caps to just buyout Jagr, than it is for them to make that deal.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
5 years including this year, correct. I would expect that the Rangers will offer one of 3 or 4 players to the Capitals and insist that they take one to help the Rangers offset Jagr's contract.
Those 5 years are a bigger problem for me than compensation. History's taught us that the marriage of NYR and a disgruntled superstar has the potential to be disatrous. If this thing doesn't work out the way Sather envisions it (and none of these things ever have), it's going to be a long 1/2 decade as we watch Jagr's descent into mediocrity.

Old
11-26-2003, 08:16 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
After this season the Capitals can buy Jagr out of his contract for $29.8m. If the is a lockout that kills off next season, the Caps can buy out Jagr for $22m before the 2005 season. Its cheaper for the Caps to just buyout Jagr, than it is for them to make that deal.
So let them just buy him out if it's so easy because that would work better for the Rangers as well as they can just give him a shorterterm, less money contract if they were interested.

Also remember that Jagr is doing some real damage to the Cap franchise while he remains there.He is dragging the entire team down with his sulking and whining so if you want to wait all year to get to that buyout stage be my guest as I said it will be better for all those involved except possibly Jagr.

Closed Thread