HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Lilja?

Old
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
smoneil

vCash: 500
What about Lilja?

Detroit's 7th defenseman (Lilja) is apparently upset with his lack of ice time. Never seen him play, but from what I've read, he's apparently a defensive defenseman and he played a ton of minutes last year on the top pairing (got knocked to the 7th spot due to free agency and 2 defenders getting healthy).

2 questions for those who know more/better here-

Would Lilja fit in here on one of the lower pairings (over someone like Ozo, Rachunek, Roszival or Malik)?

Would you make a move for him if we could get him on the cheap? (he makes about 1 million per for the next 2 seasons I think).

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 02:57 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Detroit's 7th defenseman (Lilja) is apparently upset with his lack of ice time. Never seen him play, but from what I've read, he's apparently a defensive defenseman and he played a ton of minutes last year on the top pairing (got knocked to the 7th spot due to free agency and 2 defenders getting healthy).

2 questions for those who know more/better here-

Would Lilja fit in here on one of the lower pairings (over someone like Ozo, Rachunek, Roszival or Malik)?

Would you make a move for him if we could get him on the cheap? (he makes about 1 million per for the next 2 seasons I think).
he is a solid dman, but we dont need another 5-6th dman. If we are getting a dman, we need to dump malik, ozo or rachunek. Kasper and Pock are 2 dman that needs to play as well. Id rather trade someone like Immonen and a 2ed for Vaananen and someone like Brad Richardson or Cody McCormick

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 05:12 PM
dank

agreed.. why would we need a 7th Defensemen.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 05:45 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think that if the Rangers got Lilja, he'd become the odds-on favorite to be the next Garden whipping-boy.

12-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Fletch

Te Garden's...

missing that whipping boy. Poti returns tomorrow - that'll be interesting.

I've actually caught a couple of his games this season - different player. Moves the puck up ice well, but interestingly enough, he knows what to do with the puck when he gets into the offensive zone. But it seems as though he has forwards follow him up the ice.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 06:47 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
agreed.. why would we need a 7th Defensemen.
My thinking was basically this:

-Everyone agrees we need a defenseman.

-Nobody wants to trade away much of value.

Those two facts, combined with the Rangers poor history with big names in the past, made me think that we should look for bargain players who might have the potential to be better than what we have. Lilja is the 7th defenseman right now (though he's played in a ton more games than Pock) for Detroit, but last season he played on the top pairing and apparently acquitted himself well.

Again, never having seen him play, I don't know if he's the guy we should try to get. I just think he's the type of player we should be looking at (defensive minded, out of favor at current team and recent history of getting the job done). If we can take care of our defensive problem on the cheap (say for a 3rd rounder or something similar), we can use our trading assets on that 2nd line center we're sorely missing (and maybe spin off some of our excess defensemen in the process).

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Chimp

I'm not as negative for a move like this like most others seem to be. Lilja is a legit third pairing defensive D-man and is paid to be one ($1 million). It's not like we would pay him near $3 million for clearing the crease *cough* Ozolinsh *cough*.

What I've seen from Lilja are good things. If he wouldn't have been banned from playing for the national team, he would have been fighting for a spot for Sweden in the olympics (don't ask why... let's just say copulation with a blonde together with Tallinder and Huselius when they were representing the national team ).

Getting a solid defensive d-man to this team isn't exactly a bad thing according to me. Just because he is a 7th D-man in a packed defensive team as Detroit (that are playing more defensive than ever) doesn't actually mean he is bad. The question, as always, is what do you get for his money/salary?

I don't think Rangers would like to give what Detroit wants for him though, which is probably more than we are willing to give. But if we could get him for a rounder of some sort, I would be all for it. Lilja isn't trash and he deserves to play NHL hockey. A stay at home defenseman would problably be exactly what Rangers need.

What Rangers need to ask themselves, is what do they get for what they are paying their players? They do not get what they pay Kaspar ($2.989), they do not get what they pay Ozo ($2.75). Go ahead and read my mind. It contains the words "waive" and/or hopefully "trade" if possible.

Rangers need improvement, or at least efficiency and we all know it. A third pairing D-man is not a $2.75 guy, but a $1 million guy. I'm not saying Kaspar or Ozo are bad, I'm just saying they are overpaid and therefore questionable in a lineup (especially Kaspar, since he isn't even playing and doesn't seem to be playing in a long future). Nothing personal, just business. Heck, I even like both of them personally, but their salaries are just bad for the team. Salary cap and overpaid is a very, very bad combination.

We want a solid 2nd line playmaking center? It's about resources which we don't have. The kind of money we have bound up in overpaid D-men. Look at the whole picture. Retrieving Lilja or something similar would be a small part of the upcoming solution.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-02-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 09:19 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think that if the Rangers got Lilja, he'd become the odds-on favorite to be the next Garden whipping-boy.
couldn't have said it better myself.

the other way to look at it is this:

we already have lilja. it's just on the back of the sweater it says "malik".

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 02:49 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCaptain11 View Post
couldn't have said it better myself.

the other way to look at it is this:

we already have lilja. it's just on the back of the sweater it says "malik".
That exact opposite was said by a Red Wings fan in another thread.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 05:49 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
That exact opposite was said by a Red Wings fan in another thread.
well, if you remember last season especially after that SHO goal he was a fan favorite and even might have been on the verge of a cult following.

yet this season especially since that nashville game he's been the main whipping-boy at the garden...so far.

that's new york.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 08:25 AM
KRM

Oh lets bring in Huselius and Tallinder to.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:50 AM
shoothepuck

As a replacement for Kasper or Ozo, at about a third of the cost, he'd be ok, but why? Just play Pock.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote