HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie Column...

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Comrie Column...

Hey guys/gals I haven't been around much lately because i have been really tied up with school and hockey. I recently wrote a column on Mike Comrie's situation so i figured i should post ithere and get your reactions.

Shots from the Sidelines
Larry Fisher
Endeavour Staff

It's a Hard Knock Life for Mike

Being an advocate of country music this column relates to the song Tough Little Boys by Gary Allan with a slight twist. My version goes “when tough little boys grow up to be professional athletes they turn into big babies again.”

Selfish and incompetent athletes are everywhere in the world of professional sports these days but you will not find a better example than Mike Comrie.

Comrie, a group 2 free agent whose rights belong to the Edmonton Oilers, has decided he wants out of the City of Champions. At first it was seen as a money issue but Comrie, his agent Rich Winter and the Oilers’ General Manager, Kevin Lowe, have put those rumors to rest.

Instead Mike has came out and stated that he is awaiting a trade and his agent has said he cannot see a future for Mike alongside his Oilers’ teammates. Why you ask? Apparently Mike feels there is too much pressure put on him by Oilers management and the fans.

Define pressure Mike. I think you have been spoon fed everything over your 23 short years and when Lowe finally told you how it is during and after last year’s playoffs, you didn’t know how to deal with the conflict and you have chose to run away from it.

That doesn’t work in real life and it should not work in the NHL. Just because your dad, Bill, owns the franchise “The Brick” and is indirectly connected to the Oilers, that in no way means it should be Mike’s way or no way.

I understand where Comrie is coming from with the whole pressure thing because he has had a lot of responsibility placed on him at such a young age. When Doug Weight was dealt to St. Louis Mike was expected to step up and fill those shoes and for the most part he was successful but when the going got tough Mike was invisable.

Comrie needs to step off his pride pedestal for a mere second and take a look at just how good he has it. Born and raised in Edmonton, he is living out the dream of millions and taking it all for granted. Seriously, what could be better than getting paid millions to “play” hockey in front of close to 20,000 of your closest friends and family night in night out in the city you grew up in?

A number of enthusiasts and supporters of Comrie feel he is simply being fed a mindful of poor advice from Winter. But in the end it will be Mike’s signature on a contract and it is up to Mike as to which team signs the other half of the contract.

What confuses this guy is the Comrie camp is really starting to push the situation here. Apparently Mike, who made close to 4 million last season including bonuses, has indicated that when traded he will sign for less than the 1.13 million the Oilers qualified him at.

It is relatively common and often respected when older players in their last couple years make a similar statement because they have never won a Stanley Cup and they want to play for a serious contender. However, Mike is only 23 and the Oilers future honestly looks promising.

Mike has not publicly requested a trade to any particular teams, but speculation has him winding up in Southern California with either Los Angeles or Anaheim. If Comrie thinks the grass is greener down there in the winter he is probably right and chances are the pressure from the fans will be non-existent too. But the lack of pressure goes hand in hand with a lack of praise and stardom.

Do what you have to do Mike but remember once you leave you cannot come back. And when your new team comes to town you might want to consider coming down with the healthy scratch flu because I don’t anticipate a warm welcome back from the 20,000 diehard fans who “pressured” you out of town.

***What do you guys figure?

Old
11-28-2003, 01:30 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think it would be better if you waited until we get the real story when this is all over.

The problem is, your article could be 100% accurate, or there could not be a single shred of truth in it (not saying you are lying, your information could be wrong)... it all depends on how you value your journalistic integrity...

Old
11-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I think it would be better if you waited until we get the real story when this is all over.

The problem is, your article could be 100% accurate, or there could not be a single shred of truth in it (not saying you are lying, your information could be wrong)... it all depends on how you value your journalistic integrity...
I agree. The papers always make situations like these as bad guy - good guy situations. To be realistic I am sure both parties hold equal blame. The difference is we are all Oilers fans and we find it much easier to blacklist Comrie rather than take an objective stance. As long as this situation is resolved and benefitting the team I will be satisfied.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:37 PM
mackdogs*

Well said, I agree with your points. I think the main thing Comrie will realize is that you can't get the kind of points you were getting with the Oilers if you aren't on the first line/getting a lot of PP time. He will not be a first line player where he goes, so I can't see him putting up even close to his best years' numbers. With less numbers comes less $$ when signing a contract, and the snowball affect begins...

For what it's worth I believe Comrie made ~$4.5 mill US last year including bonuses.

Go OIL

Old
11-28-2003, 03:11 PM
The Rage

I think you missed a few commas here and there. No offense intended, just constructive criticism.

Old
11-28-2003, 03:56 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i guess we have to wait and see but a little awhile ago comrie came across in interviews as a spoiled, selfish brat. im dying to hear comries side of the story, gimme a break the kid could not handle the pressure, plain and simple.

Old
11-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Fincan

I really like the article, but then again I think Comrie is a little puke. I dont think you said anything too far fetched. Yeah there is a little bias in it, but that made it more entertaining. I think as long as you qualify when something is opinion then you are fine and not compromising journalistic integrity. You did say some stuff that might turn out not to be a fact such as Dawgnone suggested, but those very things have been reportd on TV stations and in many different papers as well so IMO it is no big deal.

BTW, I saw Mikey last Monday morning, we were stopped beside each other at a red light. I glanced over saw him, looked away, realised it was him and looked back just as the light turned red and he drove off. I was SO PISSED that I didnt pout my lip and pretend to wipe the tears away from my eyes when he looked in my direction

Old
11-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

thanks everyone...

Constructive criticism and compliments are always welcomed. Good to hear some of you agree with most of what was intended and i agree with those who said its not all fact but that is because it is a column and it is allowed to be opinionated and impartial. I can see where everyone is coming from though and i am just pumped that you took the time to read it through !

Old
11-29-2003, 06:49 AM
Jerky Leclerc

This journalist seems to be taking things personal. Editorials are supposed to be biased and opinionated but the column was alittle unprofessional and unwarranted. You can knock Comrie play and character but to challenge his manhood by telling him to stay home if he plays the Oilers again is ridiculous IMO. Comrie is 23 years old who is holding out because he wants to play somewhere else. If he can't handle the pressure in Edmonton, that is his perogative. But to call him a kid who needs to grow up is a little bit unprofessional and the writer should look in the mirror first before he calls someone out.

Closed Thread