HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is Pock a GroupVI FA this summer?

Old
12-01-2006, 02:45 PM
hsvhockey

vCash: 500
Is Pock a GroupVI FA this summer?

I saw in the FA thread that Pock needed to play in 64 games this year to avoid automatically becoming a Group VI unrestricted free agent. Any CBA/ranger contract guru's know for sure if that's correct? If so, we've obviously can't make it. I think I just got depressed.

If it's been addressed elsewhere, my apologies...didn't spend a lot of time digging.

hsvhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Group VI -- The players marked (VI) qualify for unrestricted free agency, having met the requirements for Group VI free agency. These players, whose contracts have expired, are age 25 or older, have completed three or more professional seasons, and (i) in the case of a player other than a goaltender have played fewer than 80 NHL games (regular-season and playoff), or (ii) in the case of a goaltender have played fewer than 28 NHL games (regular-season and playoff).
Pock turns 25 tomorrow.Will have three professional under his belt at the end of this season.He is signed to a one year deal.Has played 20 NHL games.He needs to play 60 more games(regular season and playoffs)to become a group II and not a group VI FA

Why would get depressed?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:40 PM
TheRedressor

They need to get him into the lineup

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 08:51 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
They need to get him into the lineup
they need to get him in the lineup because he can't possibly be worse than rachunek and ozolinsh, but who gives a crap about his free agent status?? if he is gonna sit 22 straight games does it really matter if we 'lose' him or not...and next year he'll be even less likely to play with baranka a year older and staal turning pro.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Chimp

The Rangers organisation is offically stinking bad at bringing up prospects and young players to play. I would say they officially messed up Pavel Brendl for example and his will to play (he is wrecking havoc in SEL this year, he barrages goals like crazy). He was very close to quit hockey altogether when he was boxed in the closet for a bunch of years. And I refuse to say you can blame it all on Brendl's attitude, because I think the "I don't care anymore" attitude came with his treatment.

I just hope for the love of god this organisation won't mess up Baranka, Dubinsky, Pck, Dawes, Staal, Montoya and the rest as well.

But sure, let's play Ozo for $2.75 million on the third pairing instead... great organisational move. And while we are at it, let's keep Kaspar on the stands with $2.989 for a couple of seasons. That's $5.7 of wasted cap room that could be released with a $0.5 million player instead.

Last edited by Chimp: 12-03-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:49 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The Rangers organisation is offically stinking bad at bringing up prospects and young players to play. I would say they officially messed up Pavel Brendl for example and his will to play (he is wrecking havoc in SEL this year, he barrages goals like crazy). He was very close to quit hockey altogether when he was boxed in the closet for a bunch of years. And I refuse to say you can blame it all on Brendl's attitude, because I think the "I don't care anymore" attitude came with his treatment.

I just hope for the love of god this organisation won't mess up Baranka, Dubinsky, Pck, Dawes, Staal, Montoya and the rest as well.

But sure, let's play Ozo for $2.75 million on the third pairing instead... great organisational move. And while we are at it, let's keep Kaspar on the stands with $2.989 for a couple of seasons. That's $5.7 of wasted cap room that could be released with a $0.5 million player instead.
Please stop with the Rangers messed up Pavel Brendl ********.He can score 600 goals in Sweden.Big deal.You seem to have forgotten Brendl went from the Rangers to Philly to Carolina to Phoenix.He cleared waivers so many times

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 08:43 AM
hsvhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pock turns 25 tomorrow.Will have three professional under his belt at the end of this season.He is signed to a one year deal.Has played 20 NHL games.He needs to play 60 more games(regular season and playoffs)to become a group II and not a group VI FA

Why would get depressed?
My thinking was that at the end of this season, he'll be 25 or older, have 3 pro seasons, and his contract will be over. The way I read the group VI clause was that with the rest of the conditions he'd need to have at least 80 games for us to retain his rights. We've only got 55 games remaining (regular season). So he needs to play the entirety of the remaining season plus at least 5 playoff games or we risk him walking for nothing. What I'm not liking is that I don't see him getting those games...and in that case I'm not sure i like our odds of re-signing him. Hopefully it works out, I still like what I've seen from him in limited duty.

Old
12-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
if i were pck, i would get the f outta new york and sign with ANY team other than the rangers...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Kendo

I had brought it up a few times, but I guess I get glanced over since I don't have a spiffy avatar...

So far, Pock would need every remaining regular season game, plus 5 post-season contests to be retained as a RFA.

If he is classified as Group IV this off-season, then there is a better chance of Mike Richter playing for NYR next year than Tomas Pock.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 12:56 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
I had brought it up a few times, but I guess I get glanced over since I don't have a spiffy avatar...

So far, Pock would need every remaining regular season game, plus 5 post-season contests to be retained as a RFA.

If he is classified as Group IV this off-season, then there is a better chance of Mike Richter playing for NYR next year than Tomas Pock.
To make a better comparison--there's a better chance of Brian Leetch playing more games this season in a Rangers uniform than Pck has of playing 10 more games for the Rangers.

Lets call it for what it is: the coaching staff is unwilling to play Pck. It doesn't appear that this is going to change. It really doesn't matter if Pck becomes a free agent after the season (although, I suspect he will be traded for whatever Sather can get long before then), because he's not even in the Rangers' short-term plans, let alone their long term ones. So why moan and groan about it. Pck was a long shot to begin with and no one would even remember him, if he didn't come in those last few games in 2004, play with energy and score a couple of goals.

I'd rather see him traded and have Leetch signed and Ozolinsh--who's a complete waste on the ice--dumped. And it wouldn't hurt to work Barnaka into the lineup either--might as well give him a chance to earn a job; he's a steady player and might actually help to stabilize the defense. Plus, he's more moble than Kaspar and plays with some snarl.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 08:53 AM
hsvhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post

Well...spiffy avatar or not, I guess it answers my question. Maybe it's because we don't have a lot of posts...you know...we're not veterans and this IS the Ranger board. Just kidding.

Thanks though, maybe he'll get in the lineup now and play well.

To Brooklyn...I guess my real problem with this is letting young assets get away for nothing before we've seen what they can do over a reasonable number of games. I've seen about 10 of Pock's 20 games and I havne't seen what's kept him in street clothes when compared to Rachunek and Ozo.

Old
12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsvhockey View Post
Well...spiffy avatar or not, I guess it answers my question. Maybe it's because we don't have a lot of posts...you know...we're not veterans and this IS the Ranger board. Just kidding.

Thanks though, maybe he'll get in the lineup now and play well.

To Brooklyn...I guess my real problem with this is letting young assets get away for nothing before we've seen what they can do over a reasonable number of games. I've seen about 10 of Pock's 20 games and I havne't seen what's kept him in street clothes when compared to Rachunek and Ozo.
I agree with you--but this is not the way management thinks--they've already made their evaluation and Pck clearly isn't in their long-term plans. And I seriously doubt Pck can do anything to change that evaluation of his play.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote