HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Lightning Claim Andre Roy

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2006, 01:17 PM
gobolt7

vCash: 500
Lightning Claim Andre Roy

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...e-roy-returns/

Not too much of a surprise. glad to have him back.

*Edit* Tarnasky sent down, temporarily.

Old
12-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Good for all parties involved...Roy deserves to play but was a complete anomaly under Therrien's system. He would have worked halfway decent under Olcyzk's lack of a system but had his face broken in his first fight last season making him essentially useless last year and then had his job stolen this season by Chris Thorburn...

You all know what he brings to the table. I'm happy for Andre, he's a good guy and he deserves to actually play where he's wanted.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Maria

That's awesome news, he seems like a great guy in the dressing room, im glad he's back!!

Old
12-02-2006, 03:00 PM
lightningsabres

Great to have Andre back.

Old
12-02-2006, 03:10 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Finally, someone who will actually finish a check!!!!!

Old
12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8237
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
Finally, someone who will actually finish a check!!!!!

my thoughts on reading that he was coming and now is back too... we needed someone tough...

12-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Glad to have Roy coming back. Although I'm a Tarnasky fan so I hope this isn't the last we see of Nick for a while.

I think this further signifys that Robby DiMaio is going to be placed on long term injury status fairly soon.

So only half of Roy's 1 million salary counts against the Lightnings cap this season, correct?

Old
12-02-2006, 03:42 PM
NickHanson

Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
YAY!

*continues celebrating*

How exactly did we lose him in the first place?

Last edited by NickHanson: 12-02-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old
12-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

from Tampa Tribune and Lightning beat wrtier Erik Erlendsson:

Just got word that Andre Roy has been claimed off waivers from the Pittsburgh Penguins and could be in Ottawa tonight, though he likely will not play.

Roy had played little in Pittsburgh this season and was hoping to get the opportunity to return to Tampa. When I visited with Roy in Pittsburgh last month he expressed frustration in not playing and wanted me to tell Jay Feaster that he was available. But at his $1 million salary, that wasn’t going to happen. So I’m sure some sort of back-door deal was made with the Penguins to place Roy on waivers and then on re-entry waivers so that Tampa is only responsible for half of Roy’s contract, pro-rated this season and half of next season ($500,000) which is a much more cap friendly number for the Lightning to absorb.

I think bringing Roy back is a great move on Jay Feaster’s part. Roy will deliver the hits, he will fight, he will be a presence on the bench and his personality in the locker room is an underrated aspect that he brings, from his singing in the shower loud enough to be heard down the hall way to his practical jokes and his spirit really keeps guys loose. He will be welcomed back with open arms - as long as he shows some sense of discipline, which I think he learned from his time in Tampa.

To make room for Roy, Nick Tarnasky was re-assigned to Springfield, but don’t expect that to be a permanent assignment. With Karri Ramo up in place of Marc Denis, there are no open spots on the roster or under the salary cap. I would expect that after tonight’s game that Ramo will be sent back to Springfield and Tarnasky will officially be recalled.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:00 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

I wish Andre teh best, as Tortorella has shown he knows how to use him unlike Michel Therrien.

As a Pens fan it pisses me off because I was really glad they signed him, even overpaying by a bit. He's more than just a goon like people think as his skills are pretty decent. He is a good fighter and he can pump the team up with a good shift of hitting.

Hope you guys make better use of him than we did.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
He's more than just a goon like people think as his skills are pretty decent. He is a good fighter and he can pump the team up with a good shift of hitting.
That's an exact description of Roy. He's a decent player who will fight and deliver some hits. The main thing that bugged me about him is that he would take stupid penalties that would land him in Tort's doghouse. If he can stay away from those penalties, I'll be happy with the move.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
Hope you guys make better use of him than we did.
Oh trust me we will, coming back to Tampa will be a rejuvenation of sorts for Andre, I expect him to come out the gate with a fury!

Old
12-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Am I the only one who is luke-warm about this? I am not angry or disappointed by any means... I am just not as excited as the rest of you.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
I am not a huge fan of Roy but at 500k for the rest of his contract he is a bargain.

Glad to have him back.

12-02-2006, 04:19 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich View Post
Am I the only one who is luke-warm about this? I am not angry or disappointed by any means... I am just not as excited as the rest of you.
I think so. I am eagerly awaiting the first finished check of the year.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:25 PM
NickHanson

Send a message via AIM to NickHanson
Quote:
I'm not really dancing around partying about it, but I'm happy we finally have a physical player on the team. I know he's not going to go out and get an odd man Marty breakaway and score, but hopefully he'll lay out Turtle if he plays tonight, doubt he will though.

Old
12-02-2006, 04:58 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Tyler, I'm pretty sure that if we put Wayne Gretzgy in some sort of time machine, shaved 20 years or so off of his age, and signed him for the league minimum, you would somehow not be excited about that either.

Who on the current roster hits people? Feds leads the team in hits for Christsake. We need a physical presence, Roy fills that void. He certainly wasn't signed to score goals or run the point on the PP (although at this point I would try anything on the PP). This team has lacked a "goon" since he left and that is reason enough to get excited.

Old
12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Tyler, I'm pretty sure that if we put Wayne Gretzgy in some sort of time machine, shaved 20 years or so off of his age, and signed him for the league minimum, you would somehow not be excited about that either.

Who on the current roster hits people? Feds leads the team in hits for Christsake. We need a physical presence, Roy fills that void. He certainly wasn't signed to score goals or run the point on the PP (although at this point I would try anything on the PP). This team has lacked a "goon" since he left and that is reason enough to get excited.
Tarnasky. I am fine with Roy but I wish Tarnasky would have been given more ice time.

Old
12-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Holy over reaction batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Saritch Fanz
I am sorry... but he is going to be playing such low amount of minutes that his "physical presence" isn't going to mean much. We need someone who can set a tone and play decent minutes. That isn't Andre Roy. I am not saying he is going to be bad. I am not saying he is going to be a bad decision. I am saying he won't have sufficient minutes (with good reason) to make the difference you all see.

Old
12-02-2006, 05:05 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
I am sorry... but he is going to be playing such low amount of minutes that his "physical presence" isn't going to mean much. We need someone who can set a tone and play decent minutes. That isn't Andre Roy. I am not saying he is going to be bad. I am not saying he is going to be a bad decision. I am saying he won't have sufficient minutes (with good reason) to make the difference you all see.
Under this coach, anyone who hits is not going to get "sufficient minutes". That is obvious.

Bottom line, he is a cheap upgrade over anything we have from a physical perspective. Thats whats important, imo.

Old
12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XO Sniper View Post
Tarnasky. I am fine with Roy but I wish Tarnasky would have been given more ice time.
Agreed.

Old
12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

I highly doubt Feaster would bring back Andre if he didn't think he would have postivie impact on the Lightning roster. Things we know about Roy, is hes a good fighter, he can be a big hitter, hes a decent skater and he did play 21 of 23 possible games during Tampa's Stanley Cup run.

I really don't see how this could be viewed as a mistake by Feaster, even if some of you aren't excited about it.

I'm not exactly bouncing off the walls or anything, but am happy Roy is coming back, we're only paying him $500k and can fill the role of a physical presence on one of the two bottom lines.

Old
12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
missK

Here's my take, Andre brings everything Tarnasky does at a slight upgrade on the ice. He can skate, he will check, he can fight and even take shifts on the top two lines and and not look out of place. Heck Andre can even score at times.

The intangible in the Andre scenerio is the locker room piece that has been SORELY missing on this team. The cheerleader on the bench, the guy to joke around and lighten things up in the room when things gets too heavy. This team was totally lacking these things prior to today. Of course, this is JMO.

Closed Thread