HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

2007 Draft Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2006, 04:11 PM
  #1
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
2007 Draft Discussion

Since it looks like our beloved Panthers will once again have the opportunity to draft high once again, it's never too early to look forward to the only time of the year the Panthers truely have a chance to be associated with the number 1: The NHL entry draft.

We have the usual suspects in Esposito and Voracek, whom have been favoured for the number 1 spot for quite some time.

Then there are the risers in Turris and Van Riemsdyk, and the always mysterious russian prospect, Cherepanov.

Don't forget about Defencemen, led by my personal favourite Karl Alzner.

If a mod could sticky, it would be much appreciated.

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 04:37 PM
  #2
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
I'll starts things off with Mr.Alzner

Karl Alzner, D, Calgary Hitmen
6'2 200 lbs

As of Dec 2:
GP G A P PIM +/-
30 4 22 26 20 +2

I've been most impressed with his hockey sense, he always looks like he belongs out there and is rarely out of position. He will most likely get an invite to Team Canada's Junior camp, but he might be hard pressed to make the team with the type of talent returning on Canada's blue line.

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 05:06 PM
  #3
sinDer
Registered User
 
sinDer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drummondville, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
no Malkin, ovechkin or kovalchuk this year...

let's trade this pick!!!

sinDer is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 05:47 PM
  #4
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
I've been most impressed with his hockey sense, he always looks like he belongs out there and is rarely out of position. He will most likely get an invite to Team Canada's Junior camp, but he might be hard pressed to make the team with the type of talent returning on Canada's blue line.
In the interest of recognizing a critical aspect of the new NHL, please make sure all analyses of draft prospects includes commentary on their skating ability - after all, we all see from our Panthers where lack thereof can get you

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 06:22 PM
  #5
thebodyczech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Hands-down Voracek. The "New NHL" is offense first; I don't think I need to point out how desperate we are in that department.

That aside, Voracek still sounds like our man:

"He's the kind of kid that if he takes a shot and misses the net he'll be the first one on the rebound to pick up the loose puck," says coach Cam Russell. "His feet are always moving."

"I see a lot of Peter Forsberg-like traits. He's solid on the puck, and he's not intimidated."

Source: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?...v=cp&type=lgns

thebodyczech is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 09:08 PM
  #6
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
My pick is Alexei Cherepanov.

As 17 year olds in the RSL:

Malkin- 34GP 3G 9A 12P

Ovechkin- 40GP 8G 7A 15P

Cherepanov- 10G 8A 18P in 25GP so far

As RCGP said, this kid is shrouded in mystery to most North American hockey observers. Despite his phenomenal numbers this season, nobody out there seems to have an explanation as to why Cherepanov isn't being regarded as a #1 overall pick right now. However, many Russian scouts have predicted that Cherepanov will follow in the line of Ovechkin and Malkin. The whole world will have a chance to see him at the upcoming WJC's, which will be huge for him.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
  #7
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
In the interest of recognizing a critical aspect of the new NHL, please make sure all analyses of draft prospects includes commentary on their skating ability - after all, we all see from our Panthers where lack thereof can get you
He is no Bouwmeester, but his skating i'd say its a plus.

Cherepanov is an interesting case. I hadn't heard anything about him before this year, but recently he has been rocketing up the charts. Hopefully he goes to the World jrs so we can all get a look at him. Personally, I'd rather not depend solely on numbers.

You also have to take into account the lack of a transfer agreement, but that really depends on the kid. If he really wants to play in the NHL (like Ovechkin or Malkin) it shouldn't be much of an issue as he can escape the country Zherdev/Malkin style.

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 09:38 PM
  #8
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
My pick is Alexei Cherepanov.

As 17 year olds in the RSL:

Malkin- 34GP 3G 9A 12P

Ovechkin- 40GP 8G 7A 15P

Cherepanov- 10G 8A 18P in 25GP so far

As RCGP said, this kid is shrouded in mystery to most North American hockey observers. Despite his phenomenal numbers this season, nobody out there seems to have an explanation as to why Cherepanov isn't being regarded as a #1 overall pick right now. However, many Russian scouts have predicted that Cherepanov will follow in the line of Ovechkin and Malkin. The whole world will have a chance to see him at the upcoming WJC's, which will be huge for him.
Any info regarding his size?

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 09:45 PM
  #9
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Cherepanov is an interesting case. I hadn't heard anything about him before this year, but recently he has been rocketing up the charts. Hopefully he goes to the World jrs so we can all get a look at him. Personally, I'd rather not depend solely on numbers.

You also have to take into account the lack of a transfer agreement, but that really depends on the kid. If he really wants to play in the NHL (like Ovechkin or Malkin) it shouldn't be much of an issue as he can escape the country Zherdev/Malkin style.

Yeah, apparently he is a late bloomer. I will be watching the WJC's eagerly this year to get a look at him. I think he's pretty much a lock to make that Russian team.

The transfer agreement is always a hindrance when drafting Russian players, but I don't think that's an issue that will drag on too much longer. By the time Cherepanov is ready to play in the NHL, I suspect an agreement will already be in place. Besides, like you say, we could always smuggle him in.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-02-2006, 09:51 PM
  #10
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Any info regarding his size?
He is usually listed at 5'11" and 180lbs. A little undersized, but you figure he'll add at least 10-15 pounds as he is only 17, and he might turn out to be an average sized player.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
  #11
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
He is usually listed at 5'11" and 180lbs. A little undersized, but you figure he'll add at least 10-15 pounds as he is only 17, and he might turn out to be an average sized player.
His size could be a reason why he isn't a lock for number 1. Hopefully this means he has ample quickness.

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 11:53 AM
  #12
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
My pick is Alexei Cherepanov.

As 17 year olds in the RSL:

Malkin- 34GP 3G 9A 12P

Ovechkin- 40GP 8G 7A 15P

Cherepanov- 10G 8A 18P in 25GP so far

As RCGP said, this kid is shrouded in mystery to most North American hockey observers. Despite his phenomenal numbers this season, nobody out there seems to have an explanation as to why Cherepanov isn't being regarded as a #1 overall pick right now. However, many Russian scouts have predicted that Cherepanov will follow in the line of Ovechkin and Malkin. The whole world will have a chance to see him at the upcoming WJC's, which will be huge for him.
We wont waste a top 5 pick on him when he could had later on. Russian prospects generally have lower stock right now because of the difficulty in getting them over. Interesting prospect, and if we acquired another 1st rounder (Which i hope we do) then selecting him would be a good idea.

Voracek is the guy i'd want right now still. Although we are weaker on D in the prospect department our D in the NHL is better than our offense.

As for a possible 2nd round pick Backlund may be available. He is falling quite fast but this time last year most Swedes thought he was a better prospect than Backstrom. Backlund isn't even rated the best Swedish prospect anymore by a few scouting services.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
  #13
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
We wont waste a top 5 pick on him when he could had later on. Russian prospects generally have lower stock right now because of the difficulty in getting them over. Interesting prospect, and if we acquired another 1st rounder (Which i hope we do) then selecting him would be a good idea.

Voracek is the guy i'd want right now still. Although we are weaker on D in the prospect department our D in the NHL is better than our offense.

As for a possible 2nd round pick Backlund may be available. He is falling quite fast but this time last year most Swedes thought he was a better prospect than Backstrom. Backlund isn't even rated the best Swedish prospect anymore by a few scouting services.

If Cherepanov is as good as advertized he won't drop very far, I can't see teams passing on a possible Malkin even with the current transfer agreement.

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 02:03 PM
  #14
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
If Cherepanov is as good as advertized he won't drop very far, I can't see teams passing on a possible Malkin even with the current transfer agreement.
I doubt Cherepanov is another Malkin. I have limited knowledge of him, but i'd be suprised if he turned out as good as Malkin. Malkin is on a similar level to Ovy and Crosby. Will Cherepanov be? There is always a chance but it is highly unlikely. If Cherepanov were on his level he'd be #1 concencus right now. There are no prospects on Malkin's level this year. It doesn't mean to say Cherepanov wont go high, if he has a great WJ his stock will skyrocket. However because he isn't head and shoulders above the other prospects in this draft the Russian transfer agreement may mean his stock will fall abit. If you the choice between two equal prospects in talent, a very good prospect playing in North America (Voracek lets say) and a very good prospect playing Russia you'd pick the guy playing in NA.

You'd be suprised how certain very good prospects drop anyway. Kopitar for example.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 04:31 PM
  #15
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
His size could be a reason why he isn't a lock for number 1. Hopefully this means he has ample quickness.

Yes, but size isn't really a factor in the new NHL. Look at how well Briere has done the last couple years. The guy is a midget. He can't be more than 5'8".

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
  #16
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
It's good for Frolik playing in Rimouski.......he'll be used to losing there so he can be prepared for how bad we are here in south florida.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:17 PM
  #17
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I doubt Cherepanov is another Malkin. I have limited knowledge of him, but i'd be suprised if he turned out as good as Malkin. Malkin is on a similar level to Ovy and Crosby. Will Cherepanov be? There is always a chance but it is highly unlikely. If Cherepanov were on his level he'd be #1 concencus right now. There are no prospects on Malkin's level this year. It doesn't mean to say Cherepanov wont go high, if he has a great WJ his stock will skyrocket. However because he isn't head and shoulders above the other prospects in this draft the Russian transfer agreement may mean his stock will fall abit. If you the choice between two equal prospects in talent, a very good prospect playing in North America (Voracek lets say) and a very good prospect playing Russia you'd pick the guy playing in NA.

You'd be suprised how certain very good prospects drop anyway. Kopitar for example.

Just remember, at this time last year Erik Johnson wasn't even considered for the top 5. By June, he was the consensus No.1 pick. Just goes to show you what a great WJC can do for your stock. If Cherepanov has a great showing at that tournament, he could very well rocket up to the top of the charts, even with the transfer agreement unsettled. Plus keep in mind that one of the reasons Ovechkin and Malkin were so hyped in their draft year was because they had made a name for themselves already at an earlier age. Indications are that Cherepanov basically came out of nowhere this year, so that may be a big reason why he is just now getting top 10 consideration.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:23 PM
  #18
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
As for a possible 2nd round pick Backlund may be available. He is falling quite fast but this time last year most Swedes thought he was a better prospect than Backstrom. Backlund isn't even rated the best Swedish prospect anymore by a few scouting services.

Even though Backlund is having a horrible season, I still think some team will take him in the first round. He has all the tools necessary to be a Brind'Amour type player, perhaps better.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:25 PM
  #19
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
It's good for Frolik playing in Rimouski.......he'll be used to losing there so he can be prepared for how bad we are here in south florida.
He is still scoring quite a bit, which is a good sign. He may not be as good as was originally advertised, but I think he'll still be a nice player.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:35 PM
  #20
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
He is still scoring quite a bit, which is a good sign. He may not be as good as was originally advertised, but I think he'll still be a nice player.
Idk about not being good as originally advertised. He scored again today and he was the second star of the game despite a 3-2 OT loss. Obviously the GWG in OT is the 1st star by default so Frolik being the second star definitely is a positive sign as he's been one of the 3 stars for a lot of his games. His team is so terribly bad that it's hard to do things on his own but he is the best player on his team and is putting up impressive numbers considering how terrible his team is. I still think he has the potential to be a star.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:48 PM
  #21
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
Idk about not being good as originally advertised. He scored again today and he was the second star of the game despite a 3-2 OT loss. Obviously the GWG in OT is the 1st star by default so Frolik being the second star definitely is a positive sign as he's been one of the 3 stars for a lot of his games. His team is so terribly bad that it's hard to do things on his own but he is the best player on his team and is putting up impressive numbers considering how terrible his team is. I still think he has the potential to be a star.

I agree, I'm not saying he won't be a star. I think he will too. But as far as being the next Jagr, I'm not so sure. I think that hype is similar to Kessel being the next Crosby, which we all know by now isn't true.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 05:57 PM
  #22
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
I agree, I'm not saying he won't be a star. I think he will too. But as far as being the next Jagr, I'm not so sure. I think that hype is similar to Kessel being the next Crosby, which we all know by now isn't true.
I guess so. I don't really think the Jagr comparison was ever that valid. I see more of a Havlat type comparison or something like that which I like very much as it is.

PanthersRule96 is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 06:03 PM
  #23
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
I guess so. I don't really think the Jagr comparison was ever that valid. I see more of a Havlat type comparison or something like that which I like very much as it is.
Agreed.

Markstrom Rules is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 06:33 PM
  #24
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I doubt Cherepanov is another Malkin. I have limited knowledge of him, but i'd be suprised if he turned out as good as Malkin. Malkin is on a similar level to Ovy and Crosby. Will Cherepanov be? There is always a chance but it is highly unlikely. If Cherepanov were on his level he'd be #1 concencus right now. There are no prospects on Malkin's level this year. It doesn't mean to say Cherepanov wont go high, if he has a great WJ his stock will skyrocket. However because he isn't head and shoulders above the other prospects in this draft the Russian transfer agreement may mean his stock will fall abit. If you the choice between two equal prospects in talent, a very good prospect playing in North America (Voracek lets say) and a very good prospect playing Russia you'd pick the guy playing in NA.

You'd be suprised how certain very good prospects drop anyway. Kopitar for example.

I said IF he is Malkin's level. Personally, I haven't seen him play yet so I don't really have an opinion on him either way right now. You are right that if equal talent, go with the non-russian.... but if he has superior talent it would be hard to pass on him.

Kopitar didn't drop because of the transfer agreement. Scouts aren't perfect, but often there is a good reason for the drop (Hurdler for instance). I bet Kopitar dropped because he is from a country that I didn't know exsisted before Kopitar. I see what you were getting at though.

RCGP is offline  
Old
12-03-2006, 06:40 PM
  #25
RCGP
Go Panthers
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yes, but size isn't really a factor in the new NHL. Look at how well Briere has done the last couple years. The guy is a midget. He can't be more than 5'8".
Briere was breaking out before the new rules, but he probably wouldn't have been in the running for the art ross. You are correct about less importance in size.

All other things being equal, you still take the bigger player. Smaller bodies are usually less durable too (see Briere for instance).

A little OT, but i dislike the phrase "new NHL". Its not new anymore, its plain old regular. I move that this era be called something like "salary cap era" or "post lockout era". Maybe its just me.

RCGP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.